Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Old Yesterday, 17:41
Louise_Hart
Forum Member

I'v just seen the new terminator trailer and I think I just died a bit inside, it looks like the first one may as well not exist now 3 was awful salvation was worse but this looks crapping all over artwork

what other films do people think got ruined by sequels, I don't mean rubbish sequels I mean ones that are so bad that it hurt the original film.
Louise_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old Today, 00:01
rfonzo
Forum Member

Home Alone followed by Home Alone: Lost In New York and the sequel to The French Connection.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:13
Wrex Bickle
Forum Member

The Matrix sequels "could" have been great...but totally diluted the mythos of the first film.
Wrex Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:42
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

The ORIGINAL Poseidon Adventure:

The whole point of the first film was that is was the struggle of the few against all odds to fight their way through the ship to safety. Then up pops the sequel with a laughable half-baked excuse for doing it of there being gold on the ship that has never been mentioned in the first film and they also meet loads of people walking around. So it completely sticks two fingers up at the original and what it was about and all just for desperate cash cow.

The Class of '44: (The Sequel to The Summer of '42) Again the whole bloody point of the Summer of '42 was a ONE OFF, Once In A Lifetime happening in someone's life. So what they did after they; IE just normal things, was of zero interest to anyone.

Not a sequel but what the studio force Steven Spielberg to do with Close Encounters of the third kind, I will never forgive! He wanted more money to add some sequences that he could afford in the first version, but they insisted that they showed inside the spaceship in return for the money. He even regrets agreeing. The film works as it did in the original version as it leaves it to the imagination and hope and all things magical: And the crap that they inserted didn't add anything any way. I saw it once and will never watch any version with the inside scenes again. I think Spielberg has had it withdrawn as well now that he has ultimate say in it.
Old Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:33
idlewilde
Forum Member

Aliens was kind of ruined by Alien3. Not that I think Alien3 is a bad film, I'm one of the few that appreciate the gothic theme, but the emotional investment in the characters as set up in Aliens, and the effort Ripley goes to in order to save Newt, only for her to be killed immediately in the sequel was kind of a kick in the teeth.
idlewilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:36
Jim_McIntosh
Forum Member

I can't think of any. I can think of plenty of inferior sequels but not ones which ruin the first film.
Jim_McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:44
dodrade
Forum Member

I don't think a sequel can ruin a film. Does the existence of Jaws: the revenge somehow make Spielberg's original not as good? Bad sequels simply get forgotten while the quality originals endure.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:27
Wee Tinkers
Forum Member

I haven't seen it yet but I have a suspicion Lost Boys 2 might do that. And apparently there's even a third. Who knew.

I'm looking forward to, and dreading, watching it in equal measure.

Of course I'll just dismiss it like dodrade says if it is awful. Nothing can taint Lost Boys for me.
Wee Tinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23
mialicious
Forum Member

Highlander 2: The quickening
Amazing spiderman 2
Star wars prequels
mialicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37
RebelScum
Forum Member

There are certainly a few franchises where the overall average score has been brought down by weaker follow ups. But even then, I've never had the original ruined by weaker sequels, prequels or reebots.
RebelScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:41
dearmrman
Forum Member

Aliens was kind of ruined by Alien3. Not that I think Alien3 is a bad film, I'm one of the few that appreciate the gothic theme, but the emotional investment in the characters as set up in Aliens, and the effort Ripley goes to in order to save Newt, only for her to be killed immediately in the sequel was kind of a kick in the teeth.
If anything Aliens was more a standalone film and for me doesn't sit with the original, which is no bad thing it just went in a different direction...and is a good big brash action film. Newt was just annoying though.

Alien 3 was more a sequel to the original film.

But no sequel should ever ruin the original film, and for me none do.
dearmrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:08
bass55
Forum Member

The Star Wars prequels were horribly disappointing and, IMHO, did not need to be made. The original Star Wars trilogy was full of intrigue, mystery and wonder - the prequels sought to explain everything logically and scientifically (midichlorians ugh) and it kind of took the 'magic' away from the originals. The 'Clone Wars' I'd always imagined in my head was a lot better than the CGI mess we got in Episode II & III, and it turns out Vader was just a whiney teenager.
bass55 is offline   Reply With Quote