Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

New PS3 Super Slim or the previous Slimline model?

Old 03-12-2012, 15:25
toogoodfortv
Forum Member

Hi all

Looking to buy my fiance a PS3 for Christmas.

I'm a big gamer myself, but I play xbox .. seeing as I'll be moving in with him next year, I thought I'd get him a PS3 so we have one of each at home, but it will be his console.

Anyway, the new Super Slim models are relatively well priced . I can get one for 125 at Tesco's .... I have external HDD's that can be used for extra storage if needs be, but in the meantime, he'll just really be playing FIFA, Assasin's Creed, GTA and watching Blu-ray dvd;s etc ..

Also does PS3 have love film/netflix etc ....

I started out with a PS2 myself but moved to xbox around 4-5 years ago ...

What's your advice?

Thanks
toogoodfortv is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-12-2012, 15:46
Ash_735
Forum Member

If the 125 one is the 12GB model, NO STAY AWAY.

There's no real benefit of the super slim over the normal Slim, so if you can get a normal Slim with a 160GB Hard Drive, New and for a good price, go for that.

Yes the PS3 has Netflix and Lovefilm Apps.
Ash_735 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:30
toogoodfortv
Forum Member

Thanks .. I've read mixed reviews about the new model, with quite a few people saying to stick to the original slim ..

With regards to the built in Wi-Fi .. that mean it doesn't need connected via ethernet cable? Cos that's such a big plus for us if I understand it right!!
toogoodfortv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 17:10
familyguy8904
Forum Member

[quote=toogoodfortv;62744724]Thanks .. I've read mixed reviews about the new model, with quite a few people saying to stick to the original slim ..

With regards to the built in Wi-Fi .. that mean it doesn't need connected via ethernet cable? Cos that's such a big plus for us if I understand it right!![/QUOTE]

The PS3 have built in Wi Fi so the no need for enternet cable.
familyguy8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 20:58
MartinImber
Forum Member

Cabled is better than WiFi when it gets serious

Get previous model 320GB

Do not forget to buy all 3 Uncharted games either
MartinImber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 21:11
c00kiemonster72
Forum Member

As an owner of the super slim ps3 I can safely say there is nothing wrong with it

It does everything the slim ps3 does, except its smaller in size and has a slidy opening door to access the disc instead of an eject mechanism.
Also compared to my slim that I used to have, the super slim is far far quieter.

I own the 500GB model

My main disappointment is that Sony still haven't given us wireless N, and have stuck with the crappy G, which will make a big difference if gaming via wireless!
c00kiemonster72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48
steveOooo
Forum Member

With the ps3, as well as games, bluray, upscaled DVD playback etc, you can also slip in a 1tb HDD (user replaceable - very easy to do so) and along with Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I've never used a Xbox so it's one sided - I think the 12gb super super slim can have a 1tb drive fitted? - think you need to just buy the 'ps3 harddrive caddy'for around 6

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around 18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 )

Also, Netflix works really well - good HD streams and for an extra 3 pm you can change the IP address so that you can get the USA Netflix.
It also has iplayer and can play Mkv files (after saving as mo4 pass thru)
steveOooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 21:22
D3XT3R
Forum Member

My only problem with the newer slim is the noise, got mine last week as a replacement for my phat YLOD and wow can you hear that disc spin and the reading of it also, especially on games that have multiple loads during play. Stick with the original slim, the only reason I got this one for is the price as I had a HDD to replace the 12gb on board flash
D3XT3R is offline   Reply With Quote