Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Home and Away is horrendous!

Old 05-12-2012, 22:35
Scorpio2
Forum Member

I love Home and Away and during the 90's and early 00's it was the best thing on tv BUT NOW it is the worst thing on tv and a dread to watch which is a real shame.

They need to completely revamp the show to make it good again and get rid of the dull characters and stop the constant crimes and accidents.
Scorpio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-12-2012, 22:43
topgooner100
Forum Member

I like the Braxtons but they are way too dominant! Agree I used to love it in 90s and early 00s now I just drop in and out when I get a chance. Also there's way too much crime stuff and silly unbelievable stories too!
topgooner100 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:46
Scorpio2
Forum Member

I like the Braxtons but they are way too dominant! Agree I used to love it in 90s and early 00s now I just drop in and out when I get a chance. Also there's way too much crime stuff and silly unbelievable stories too!
I like the Braxtons too and they are one of the reasons why I haven't switched off for good.
There is just too many grumpy characters and I really hope that they don't cast another cop.
Scorpio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:54
Louise32
Forum Member

I think horrendous is way harsh.

I haven't watched past fortnight but usually watch regularly and I like it and enjoy still.

In my opinion it's better than most British soaps.
Louise32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:56
saladcream
Forum Member

Why can't anyone be happy
saladcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 23:02
Jakobjoe
Forum Member

Its great.The best soap and as said, much better than any of the Britsh soaps which have all gone bad.
Jakobjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 23:12
dublintvfan
Forum Member

its not as good as it used to be but i wouldnt hate it, storylines just seem to fall flat these days and they should bring back the opening titles
dublintvfan is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:02
ameew
Forum Member

I don't think H&A is horrendous at all. I like the Braxtons although how many times is one of them going to end up in hospital . The baby death storyline was a brave move, andI like seeing Dx slowly recovering from his accident. The teen domestic abuse storyline with Stu and Sasha was very well done also
ameew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03
scorpionatthepc
Forum Member

Is Pippa and Irene still in it ?
scorpionatthepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30
Tom_Willis
Forum Member

I need to catch up on Home and Away but it has been focusing too much on the Braxtons for a long time now and I do wonder if the scriptwriters don't find the other characters interesting enough.
Tom_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:08
CRP2012
Inactive Member

Is Pippa and Irene still in it ?
Irene Yes,Pippa pops up about once every 5-6 years
CRP2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:02
JayPee86
Inactive Member

Its great.The best soap and as said, much better than any of the Britsh soaps which have all gone bad.
You must be joking ?

I watched h&a religiously and was a soap I would hate missing.
Now I barely even catch it twice a week.
It's utterly dreadful and I actually think it would benefit from a British producer.
I hate to sound Aussie-ist, but they simply cannot make decent television .

The show itself is stuck waay in the past, boring storylines , boring characters, nothing groundbreaking in there anymore.
And I really don't get the deal with ignoring LGBT. even neighbours has a gay character now. (Though I heard that was because its on a digital channel in oz now, and 'that sort of thing' is allowed)
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:07
LadySnowblood
Forum Member

I stopped watching after it moved to Channel 5 and don't think I could even tell you who was in it anymore.
LadySnowblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:12
RuthStar
Forum Member

The only thing that I genuinely love about it, is the Dex/April relationship and his recovery storyline but the Walkers in general I adore, I'm so so sick of The Braxton show, I don't mind Casey but they are overusing Heath and Brax, the show is all gloomy and crime oriented now, I still don't get why they killed Rocco off, Why can't a couple be normal and happy in home and away land...

Spoiler
RuthStar is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:55
Vivs High Heels
Forum Member

I'm not sure about horrendous but it is very weak at the moment.

The death of a baby playing second fiddle to yet another story about Casey being in trouble with the police had me at a loss for words.
Vivs High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:35
Andybear
Forum Member

It's Harvey and Roo I can't stand. They're so annoying, all the constant rowing etc. Roo comes across to me as a bit of a spoilt brat, goes mad if she can't get her own way etc.
Andybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 21:41
Deschanel
Forum Member

And I really don't get the deal with ignoring LGBT. even neighbours has a gay character now. (Though I heard that was because its on a digital channel in oz now, and 'that sort of thing' is allowed)
No, Chris was gay before they switched to the digital channel. Also, he has a boyfriend now, so the show has 2 gay characters.

H&A has zilch. It's too conservative, which is ironic, considering all the murder and drug stories they have. The show has no identity, while it's trying to be something it isn't: a freaking drama. If they weren't so ashamed of being a soap opera, the show would find some sort of identity from that, but sadly, I don't think the Seven network want that.

RIP Home & Away, your golden days are long gone.
Deschanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 21:52
Keeki
Forum Member

You must be joking ?

It's utterly dreadful and I actually think it would benefit from a British producer.

The show itself is stuck waay in the past, boring storylines , boring characters, nothing groundbreaking in there anymore.
Australia has made great television shows and there have been a lot of LGBT characters on Australia TV over the decades. Other posters have supplied you with extensive lists which you choose to ignore because your main agenda is belittling Australia rather than having any rational discussion about the issue.
Keeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 22:09
ZoeMcCallister
Forum Member

H&A is nowhere as near as good as it used to be, but I just treat it as a bit of escapism and try not to compare it too much to the UK soaps, because it never will deal with the issues UK soaps deal with. H&A's biggest advantage is its location, which I believe is the best out of any soap. Palm Beach is a stunning location.

Saying that, H&A has improved a lot in the last 6 months with Dex's crash and aftermath, Rocco's death, the filming in the desert (the actual plot a bit bizarre though), Roo & Harvey's wedding, the return of Colleen, Celia & Morag.
ZoeMcCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 22:13
X-Digit-Xx
Forum Member

I like it, I just wish the relationships would stop going back forward all the time. One moment April likes Dex, then the next she decides she can't cope with his condition and then she's okay with it again and on and on the cycle goes on repeat. Same thing with Roo and Harvey, why get married when there are clearly massive trust issues in the relationship?? And then obviously bianca and heath find some happiness and then boom it's all over.
X-Digit-Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 00:00
TLC1098
Forum Member

I cannot stand Indi she must be the worst characte ever.
TLC1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:30
MelSingleton
Forum Member

You must be joking ?

Maybe you need to revisit this extensive list of glbt characters on Australian TV. It includes the first gay couple on an Australian soap opera (in 1972) and the first televised kiss on the lips between members of a gay male couple (also in 1972) - some time before there was such a thing as a digital channel.

And, er, some time before similar things first apeared on UK TV.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...3&postcount=29
MelSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:11
pakokelso93
Forum Member

I think H&A is still really good, just going through maybe a 'quieter' period. I do agree, the Braxton's are dominating a bit. Still kinda miss likes of Jack, Martha, Nicole, Angelo... then even some of the further back lot Amanda etc too.

The crime turn has had it's phase I think since really Hugo Austin. Now they are going for the 'defeats death' storyline with
Spoiler
coming back in 2013 for a few eps!
pakokelso93 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:13
Pierson
Forum Member

The show lost its way in 2007 when Cameron Walsh took over from Julie McGauran as series producer. Ironically, they got married a few months after he took over from her, so it was her own husband who undid all her work.

Home and Away was quite sensationalist during her tenure but I think that's what made the show so great. They must have had a disaster/lost at sea/lost in the bush/just generally lost type storyline every few months but the slightly wacky storylines hooked people in and the show still had a lot of heart and likeable characters which kept people invested. It was fast paced (admittedly sometimes a little too fast paced) and had a great balance of stories.
Pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51
JayPee86
Inactive Member

Maybe you need to revisit this extensive list of glbt characters on Australian TV. It includes the first gay couple on an Australian soap opera (in 1972) and the first televised kiss on the lips between members of a gay male couple (also in 1972) - some time before there was such a thing as a digital channel.

And, er, some time before similar things first apeared on UK TV.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...3&postcount=29
Fabulous.

Still none in home and away though ...
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote