Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Suggest a 26 inch Tv for bedroom

Old 08-12-2012, 13:24
coopermanyorks
Forum Member

Hi

I am wanting any suggestions,such as brand,model and even best place to buy from,either online or on the high street

Its for my 12 yo sons bedroom , it is for Christmas and it will be used with a Sky+ HD box and a Xbox 360,also connecting to his laptop,via HDMI and to the wireless router would be needed

Any suggestions

Looking to spend around 250 (flexible)
coopermanyorks is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-12-2012, 15:49
David (2)
Forum Member

Could b tricky. 26in screens r expensive. Also a lot only have 2 hdmi sockets.
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:20
iangrad
Forum Member

Bit more than tricky LOL , good pictures and connectivity start at 32 ins and get better as we go upward . some 26 in models will be OK ish but a 12 year old will soon spot the flaws and you might end up with something better by the time he is 13 ! Been there etc !!!
iangrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 15:37
coopermanyorks
Forum Member

looks like suggesting a 32 inch then,anyone ?
Old 09-12-2012, 16:39
Stilian
Inactive Member

looks like suggesting a 32 inch then,anyone ?
So, 32 or 26?? If you prefer smaller screen you may want to take a look at the LG DM2780D. As for 32-inch TVs, there are so many good models. I myself prefer Samsung, LG and Sony, I actually got the 32-inch KDL-32EX650 yesterday and I have to say I am quite pleased with it. If you want something cheaper than the Samsung UE32EH5000 would be a great choice for you.
Stilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:42
Stuart_h
Forum Member

So, 32 or 26?? If you prefer smaller screen you may want to take a look at the LG DM2780D. As for 32-inch TVs, there are so many good models. I myself prefer Samsung, LG and Sony, I actually got the 32-inch KDL-32EX650 yesterday and I have to say I am quite pleased with it. If you want something cheaper than the Samsung UE32EH5000 would be a great choice for you.
we have the ES5500 (Samsung 32") and it was only slightly bigger than the Sony 26" unit it replaced.

its a bit over the budget though - especially if you want to add the wifi features.
Stuart_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 17:22
coopermanyorks
Forum Member

TBH Price is not so much a concern,I just plucked 26 inch as it seemed about right for the size of space available

I have seen this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...98855-pdt.html

thanks for the link,I'll take a look at the LG
Old 09-12-2012, 18:12
Stilian
Inactive Member

we have the ES5500 (Samsung 32") and it was only slightly bigger than the Sony 26" unit it replaced.

its a bit over the budget though - especially if you want to add the wifi features.
Actually this was one of the alternatives I was having in mind before I got the Sony, but the features of the KDL just made the decision instead of me . The Samsung on the other hand produces some great picture quality, doesn't it?

TBH Price is not so much a concern,I just plucked 26 inch as it seemed about right for the size of space available

I have seen this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...98855-pdt.html

thanks for the link,I'll take a look at the LG
This Samsung is a good one, with nice smart TV features.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:19
evil c
Forum Member

Looking on the Which? website and searching for a 32 inch TV max price 300, I would suggest the Samsung LE32D580. Here's what they say:

"The Full HD and Freeview HD LE32D580 delivers a consistently above average performance and some excellent HD pictures, with high levels of detail, vibrant colours and low noise. Colours are more subdued in standard definition and moving objects can look soft, but this TV is one of the best affordable 32-inch sets we've seen - which is impressive when you consider that it's not an LED-backlit screen.

The one big caveat is that viewing angles are relatively narrow, so it's better suited to a small room or bedroom than a larger living room.

The LE32D580 beats most other 32-inch sets when it comes to connectivity, with no fewer than four HDMI ports, two of which are easily accessible on the side of the screen. The two rear sockets will also take a PC signal, and resolutions up to the panel's native 1920x1080 resolution are supported. It offers network connectivity through an ethernet port or an optional USB wi-fi module, but there are no internet services built in.

Pros: Great HD pictures and good SD image quality, excellent connectivity, network streaming.
Cons: Minor usability issues, less impressive sound."

I've found it for 250 here (I don't believe it was ever 500, that must be the rrp!): http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/3..._LCD_TV_1769_d

Note: I had a look at the Samsung UE26EH4500 on the Which site, but they don't recommend it. It isn't Full HD and it only has 2 HDMIs anyway. This is what they say:

Pros: Great Smart TV features, slick EPG, easy to use.
Cons: No Freeview HD, disappointing HD pictures, unimpressive sound.
evil c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 18:56
coopermanyorks
Forum Member

I looked at the Lg with 3D it looks the part but the only downfall is there is no Wifi connection to this TV
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45
Stilian
Inactive Member

I looked at the Lg with 3D it looks the part but the only downfall is there is no Wifi connection to this TV
It doesn't have WiFi because it is not a smart TV
Old 12-12-2012, 00:11
Sibeber
Forum Member

Looking on the Which? website and searching for a 32 inch TV max price 300, I would suggest the Samsung LE32D580. Here's what they say:

"The Full HD and Freeview HD LE32D580 delivers a consistently above average performance and some excellent HD pictures, with high levels of detail, vibrant colours and low noise. Colours are more subdued in standard definition and moving objects can look soft, but this TV is one of the best affordable 32-inch sets we've seen - which is impressive when you consider that it's not an LED-backlit screen.

The one big caveat is that viewing angles are relatively narrow, so it's better suited to a small room or bedroom than a larger living room.

The LE32D580 beats most other 32-inch sets when it comes to connectivity, with no fewer than four HDMI ports, two of which are easily accessible on the side of the screen. The two rear sockets will also take a PC signal, and resolutions up to the panel's native 1920x1080 resolution are supported. It offers network connectivity through an ethernet port or an optional USB wi-fi module, but there are no internet services built in.

Pros: Great HD pictures and good SD image quality, excellent connectivity, network streaming.
Cons: Minor usability issues, less impressive sound."

I've found it for 250 here (I don't believe it was ever 500, that must be the rrp!): http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/3..._LCD_TV_1769_d

Note: I had a look at the Samsung UE26EH4500 on the Which site, but they don't recommend it. It isn't Full HD and it only has 2 HDMIs anyway. This is what they say:

Pros: Great Smart TV features, slick EPG, easy to use.
Cons: No Freeview HD, disappointing HD pictures, unimpressive sound.
I have noticed the cheap tv's the above company sell are graded stock ..does that mean they could be second hand or been repaired / have scratches on them etc etc .or is it the box is just a bit damaged ? i fancy getting 1 of those Samsungs but wary on what condition it will be in .
Sibeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:39
LilyAnna80
Forum Member

I would strongly recommend a Samsung tv - mine has been fabulous.
LilyAnna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 00:51
evil c
Forum Member

I have noticed the cheap tv's the above company sell are graded stock ..does that mean they could be second hand or been repaired / have scratches on them etc etc .or is it the box is just a bit damaged ? i fancy getting 1 of those Samsungs but wary on what condition it will be in .

If you click on 'Why are our prices so low' underneath the price, a window comes up saying: 'We have a special place in the TV market because we buy LCD and Plasma TVs leading High Street Retailers can't sell. These TVs are classed as 'graded' and include end of line/discontinued TVs, TVs with damaged packaging, surplus stock and 30 day customer returns.'

The important point is that it will still have the manufacturer's full guarantee covering its functionality. Your best bet is to phone or email the retailer and ask, then decide what you want to do.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Graded stock is mostly faulty returns, which (hopefully) will have been repaired - but are sold with a full 12 months manufacturers warranty. It's likely they may have cosmetic damage, it really depends on how old they are, and how they were treated.

There's always a (much lesser) chance of unsold or bankrupt stock, but the VAST majority of graded stock is faulty returns - some of which was never faulty anyway, and incompetent retailers swapped it regardless.

Because of the poor quality of retailers who swap such items (not confirming a fault, or providing a fault report), much is send back out while still faulty - graded stock is probably ten times more likely to be faulty than new stock.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44
vinba
Forum Member

I bought myself this -->

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...0/sams-t27a750

and it is AMAZING!!!
vinba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58
fmradiotuner1
Forum Member

Looks really pricey 400 for a 27 inch?

Edit

I do notice its 3D though so that maybe why.
fmradiotuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07
vinba
Forum Member

It's active shutter 3D (Comes with 1 pair of glasses. Also works fantastically well as a PC monitor)
vinba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:11
evil c
Forum Member

After reading Nigel's comment that graded stock is 10 times more likely to be faulty, I revisited my link to the Samsung. The good news is that the retailer tests all the stock before sale.....but in the small print (on the About Us link at the bottom of the page) which I hadn't read before is the bad news is that you have to collect the TV from one of their 6 depots.

I couldn't find another retailer selling the Samsung for such a low price, so I'm sorry OP, looks like it's out of your price range.

I have found the Samsung LE32D550 brand spanking new, which is the same spec as the 580, but without the Freeview HD tuner, on hyperfi for 300: http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/samsung-le3...50-p-1411.html
Old 13-12-2012, 12:21
Winston_1
Forum Member

The important point is that it will still have the manufacturer's full guarantee covering its functionality.
Even more important is that you still have your statuary rights under the sale of goods Act 1979. The manufactures warranty is an addition to this.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote