Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

tablet to use as sat nav

Old 09-12-2012, 19:23
ladyloulou
Forum Member

my hubbys sat nav has died it can be fixed which they say is going to be 50! for the amount we use it, that seems a lot so we are thinking of going down the tablet route. We have a kindle fire hd but cannot seem to do it with that, is there another tablet that we can use occasionally as a satnav?
many thanks
ladyloulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-12-2012, 21:36
brillopad
Forum Member

my hubbys sat nav has died it can be fixed which they say is going to be 50! for the amount we use it, that seems a lot so we are thinking of going down the tablet route. We have a kindle fire hd but cannot seem to do it with that, is there another tablet that we can use occasionally as a satnav?
many thanks
Nexus 7 - Youtube video
brillopad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 19:46
GamerGirl
Forum Member

A new TomTom XL2 costs about 80 +/-

I have a Nexus 7 tablet, but once away from the home WiFi I can't understand how this would work as a satnav unless you have one with 3G and a data plan
GamerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 19:57
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

I have a Nexus 7 tablet, but once away from the home WiFi I can't understand how this would work as a satnav unless you have one with 3G and a data plan
Well you can either use a free full on Satnav app like Navfree

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en

or Google maps which has Satnav built into it, if you plan your route you can save the route and map to memory so the tablet does not need an internet connection.

There are other pay for satnav apps for Android, but Navfree works really well, you will need to download the UK maps once it's installed and the maps get updated every few months.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:05
alan1302
Forum Member

It works the same way as the TomTom - install a map and away you go
alan1302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 23:27
c4rv
Forum Member

you can also create a local hotspot with most smart phones. Google maps takes very little data once maps are cached. It will work without a data connection but you lose live traffic and POI lookup.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote