Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Gmail links to Facebook on Galaxy S2

Old 10-12-2012, 15:24
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I use the Gmail and Facebook apps on it, amongst others.

When I get a Facebook email and click on the link I get offered various browser options in which to open the link, but not the Facebook app - I'm sure I used to be able to do this on my old HTC Desire on an earlier version of Android.

Anybody know why this is so and is there a way of opening links in the Facebook app?
HaraHeeHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-12-2012, 15:45
artnada
Forum Member

Click link, Choose browser or Chrome, then it should open the browser, then immediately auto open Facebook.
artnada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:21
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

Click link, Choose browser or Chrome, then it should open the browser, then immediately auto open Facebook.
I've selected my browser (currently FireFox) as the default in the meantime, which is OK - it opens the Facebook web page, but what I want to open automatically is the Facebook app for Android. Browsers don't quite have the same functionality as the app.
Old 10-12-2012, 16:42
artnada
Forum Member

Try the other browser listed.
artnada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:09
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

Try the other browser listed.
The native browser you get when you select 'Internet'? Tried that - opens the native browser, not the Facebook app.
Old 10-12-2012, 19:38
call100
Forum Member

Uninstall the FB app and reinstall if you haven't already..You could try Friendcaster from the app store.....
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:43
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

Uninstall the FB app and reinstall if you haven't already..You could try Friendcaster from the app store.....
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - still unable to open Gmail Facebook links in the app.

Tried Friendcaster before and I don't like it.

Surely my set-up is not rare? Gmail and Facebook app?!
Old 11-12-2012, 15:58
call100
Forum Member

have you tried using a different mail client to get your Gmail? K9 mail for example. The fault may lay there and not in the Facebook app...
Old 13-12-2012, 12:39
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

have you tried using a different mail client to get your Gmail? K9 mail for example. The fault may lay there and not in the Facebook app...
Just tried K9 mail - same issue! Cannot open Facebook links using the Facebook app.
Old 13-12-2012, 14:01
call100
Forum Member

Apparently....It's down to the coding in the FB app, it's not set up for direct links to it. I believe that if you have a rooted phone and can fish around in the inner workings, it would be possible to add some code somewhere. Otherwise I think you/we are stuffed on this one....
Old 14-12-2012, 10:55
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

Apparently....It's down to the coding in the FB app, it's not set up for direct links to it. I believe that if you have a rooted phone and can fish around in the inner workings, it would be possible to add some code somewhere. Otherwise I think you/we are stuffed on this one....
Glad to hear it's not just me then! The Facebook app is pretty flaky I think - often hangs and even causes my phone to crash and reboot. Although I have had it hanging in Dolphin as well.

I have installed the new Facebook for Android that was released yesterday - my issue is still not solved but al least the app is faster.