Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Old 17-09-2014, 19:45
phildunk1986
Forum Member

Communicorp's Real Radio XS is now available through the Global Radio app and their website has been given a make over. Previously Real Radio XS was only website laid out in the old GMG style.
phildunk1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-09-2014, 19:57
Vince800
Forum Member

Good, at least this should mean that Real XS is going to be kept. Could do with being back on DAB though.
Vince800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 20:38
Ethan Rayne
Forum Member

Good, at least this should mean that Real XS is going to be kept. Could do with being back on DAB though.
Manchester Multiplex is full to bursting point, no chance unless something else goes.
Ethan Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 21:42
Vince800
Forum Member

Should have made it clearer. I meant back on one of the London multiplexes.
Old 17-09-2014, 21:53
Ethan Rayne
Forum Member

Interesting, looking round the various Heart / Smooth websites the new site follows a similar template, so have communicorp agreed to let global look after the IT side of their radio business, only adds fuel to the fire that communicorp is just a temporary fix until global can ultimately gain control of all the Heart / Capital / Smooth stations they originally wanted.

Last edited by Ethan Rayne : 17-09-2014 at 22:04. Reason: Grammar
Old 17-09-2014, 23:03
Vince800
Forum Member

Interesting theory. Surely Communicorp could do what they want with Real XS as by all rights it's completely separate from the rest of the Global offerings. Real XS doesn't seem to be taking the 24H Global News bulletins that the other Global stations are. Also sounds like there's a few new jingles on there.

It's good that they've invested in Real XS a little bit. I primarily listen to Gold, Absolute Classic Rock & Planet Rock so Real XS is a good alternative to these every once in a while (online only).
Old 17-09-2014, 23:52
phildunk1986
Forum Member

I think Real Radio XS will be rebranded to another name. As Real Radio XS was technically meant to be a spin off station to Real Radio which no longer exists and is now part of the Heart network which is owned by Global.

It is strange that The Arrow which is Global Radio's classic rock station has never been included on their app with their family of station but Real Radio XS owned by Communicorp has been.

I think Global and Communicorp may merge Real Radio XS and The Arrow to create one classic rock service.
phildunk1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:56
dpb
Forum Member

Personally I can't see a Real Radio XS/Arrow merger but I'm wondering if Communicorp is waiting until any format relaxation? Either going their own way or maybe Gold would be something they could franchise (with Global doing something else with 1458)?
dpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 09:02
Ethan Rayne
Forum Member

I think Real Radio XS will be rebranded to another name. As Real Radio XS was technically meant to be a spin off station to Real Radio which no longer exists and is now part of the Heart network which is owned by Global.

It is strange that The Arrow which is Global Radio's classic rock station has never been included on their app with their family of station but Real Radio XS owned by Communicorp has been.

I think Global and Communicorp may merge Real Radio XS and The Arrow to create one classic rock service.
It should never of been given the awful name and branding, but the fact was when global came in they never showed any interest in the station, it is refreshing that Communicorp do seem to be interested in keeping the station going but it still carry's the stigma of the unpopular re-brand GMG inflicted on it, a re-name and re-brand would clear out the last vestige of the damage done by GMG.
Old 18-09-2014, 10:28
hanssolo
Forum Member

From rajar Real XS gets 148k listeners which should bring in enough to pay presenters and make a bit of profit?.
A name is now not critical to a local station, unless linked to a campaign?
The hours per listener and market share is droping which needs to be watched?
hanssolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 11:23
radio tuner
Forum Member

Interesting theory. Surely Communicorp could do what they want with Real XS as by all rights it's completely separate from the rest of the Global offerings. Real XS doesn't seem to be taking the 24H Global News bulletins that the other Global stations are. Also sounds like there's a few new jingles on there.

I).
24 hour news is not a requirement of the licence .the bulletins they take are from globals manchester hub
radio tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:27
Vince800
Forum Member

24 hour news is not a requirement of the licence .the bulletins they take are from globals manchester hub
I realise this. I just thought that maybe they'd do it for consistency. It just seems odd the way that Real XS is run it all still seems very Global.