Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Old 18-09-2014, 23:15
MikeBr
Forum Member

Trash Can Radio is launching on DAB September 28

"Something refreshing for those that want the true essence of rock and roll, of punk, of blues, old school R&B, Ska, Rockabilly and reggae and 60’s garage punk and pure trash!"
This website says DAB radio in London
http://www.trashcanradio.net/

This one says they are going to use the Surrey and South London multiplex
http://www.trashcanradio.com/

There's quite a lot of posts from them on their Facebook page linked to from the .net website.
MikeBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-09-2014, 00:43
nicktrow
Forum Member

Wow, it's certainly different. I'll definitely check it out when it starts here in Surrey.
nicktrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:16
Inkblot
Forum Member

If this is true it's great news. The Surrey multiplex is weak but listenable in my area so I'll be tuning in.

Their Twitter feed says they're looking for rockabilly and blues DJs. However it's odd that their tweets mostly give times in EST. Is Surrey planning to secede/succeed where Scotland failed and join the USA?

edit: something about this rang a bell. Is this station connected in any way with the one that broadcast from a ship off Åland ten years ago? Sounds like a similar format and linked to a guy called Mike Spencer/Spenser. Discussed here back in 2004: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=155049
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:39
MikeBr
Forum Member

If this is true it's great news. The Surrey multiplex is weak but listenable in my area so I'll be tuning in.

Their Twitter feed says they're looking for rockabilly and blues DJs. However it's odd that their tweets mostly give times in EST. Is Surrey planning to secede/succeed where Scotland failed and join the USA?

edit: something about this rang a bell. Is this station connected in any way with the one that broadcast from a ship off Åland ten years ago? Sounds like a similar format and linked to a guy called Mike Spencer/Spenser. Discussed here back in 2004: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=155049
It is, see post on Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...61620800718418

They are talking there of possibly getting a DAB+ licence but don't say in which country.

I would think the reason they give EST times is that there is a garage scene, record labels, websites, magazines, live bands etc in the US, also in Japan.

They have a record label connected with the station Hit Records, they put out a 5CD set of material from the long running US compilations Pebbles in 2004 which I have. Has its own Wikipedia entry, Mike produced it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trash_Box
Old 19-09-2014, 11:44
Erwin
Forum Member

I assume also on a livestream?
Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:50
MikeBr
Forum Member

I assume also on a livestream?
Yes they were on a live stream from June 2 till the middle of August when it went down so they could plan for the DAB launch. It will be back on the internet September 28.
Old 19-09-2014, 11:55
Amara
Forum Member

The DAB complex in Norfolk is missing Gold perhaps Trash Can would like to move in here?
Amara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:16
Gerry1
Forum Member

They probably won't be able to afford stereo at 128kbit/s DAB unless MuxCo give them a worthwhile discount: a two-thirds empty mux doesn't look good, and is literally a waste of space !

So could this be London's first DAB+ stereo station?

Fingers crossed !
Gerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:27
MikeBr
Forum Member

They probably won't be able to afford stereo at 128kbit/s DAB unless MuxCo give them a worthwhile discount: a two-thirds empty mux doesn't look good, and is literally a waste of space !

So could this be London's first DAB+ stereo station?

Fingers crossed !
There are a number of more recent bands that work in these genres but a lot of the older stuff was recorded in mono, with garage in particular the lo-fi nature of the recordings is part of its appeal.
Old 19-09-2014, 22:31
Mike Spenser
Forum Member

So...it looks like the cat's outta the bag now. Yes, twas me of Pirate Radio 603 AM fame, twas me that was in Aland, Finland, back in 2004-5 on the St Paul spewing out great rock and roll and it twas me who got totally sabotaged by a bunch of complete w*****s who just all shot themselves in the foot and, where are they now. Yes. tiz me again now and it is true that I have a licence for DAB on the South London/Sutton/Surrey multiplex and we will be cult soon, we will blow all the other radio stations out of the water and it will work this time because there's no w*****s gonna f***k with me now like before. We have a great bunch of help from a bunch of mates, I had someone who was very instrumental in helping it all happen and will be involved in some way still but now it's my baby and it won't just cry, it will SCREAM rock and roll! The reason the twitter feed says EST was because I was in the States when it was set up. It is true we need more presenters, either live or prerecorded and we need sponsors and advertising. Anyone interested in a hefty commission is welcome to get us some ads. Contact me via Facebook Trash Can Radio Page or by the new website soon to be made more public. It is still being worked on. And we will probably not go on air on September 28th as it says but probably the following week.

Last edited by Mike Spenser : 19-09-2014 at 22:34. Reason: slight typo
Mike Spenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 22:54
80sfan
Forum Member

The DAB complex in Norfolk is missing Gold perhaps Trash Can would like to move in here?
And here too to liven up the dire DAB offerings on the Herts/Beds/Bucks/Northants multiplex
80sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 23:23
Mike Spenser
Forum Member

Sorry...no more posts yet...

Last edited by Mike Spenser : 19-09-2014 at 23:42. Reason: Personal reasons
Mike Spenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 01:49
FM_Bandit
Forum Member

it will work this time because there's no w*****s gonna f***k with me now like before. We have a great bunch of help from a bunch of mates
Sounds like it's guaranteed to succeed.
FM_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:40
jackpotjackpot
Forum Member

So...it looks like the cat's outta the bag now. Yes, twas me of Pirate Radio 603 AM fame, twas me that was in Aland, Finland, back in 2004-5 on the St Paul spewing out great rock and roll and it twas me who got totally sabotaged by a bunch of complete w*****s who just all shot themselves in the foot and, where are they now. Yes. tiz me again now and it is true that I have a licence for DAB on the South London/Sutton/Surrey multiplex and we will be cult soon, we will blow all the other radio stations out of the water and it will work this time because there's no w*****s gonna f***k with me now like before. We have a great bunch of help from a bunch of mates, I had someone who was very instrumental in helping it all happen and will be involved in some way still but now it's my baby and it won't just cry, it will SCREAM rock and roll! The reason the twitter feed says EST was because I was in the States when it was set up. It is true we need more presenters, either live or prerecorded and we need sponsors and advertising. Anyone interested in a hefty commission is welcome to get us some ads. Contact me via Facebook Trash Can Radio Page or by the new website soon to be made more public. It is still being worked on. And we will probably not go on air on September 28th as it says but probably the following week.
Brilliant professional statement especially the w*****s gonna f***k bit
jackpotjackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:41
jackpotjackpot
Forum Member

http://www.binliners.co.uk Interesting no insurance
jackpotjackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 13:45
MikeBr
Forum Member

The presenters on that station were Martin Robertson and Stuart Armour.

Format:

Horsham Trash Can Radio's Main aim is to give local information in and around the surrounding areas of Horsham, West Sussex as well as entertaining the town with Music and Local music.

That included an Abba tribute band at their local theatre.
https://www.facebook.com/TrashCanRadio
Old 28-09-2014, 22:13
bruce_appleton
Forum Member

Trash Can Radio is launching on DAB September 28

"Something refreshing for those that want the true essence of rock and roll, of punk, of blues, old school R&B, Ska, Rockabilly and reggae and 60’s garage punk and pure trash!"
This website says DAB radio in London
http://www.trashcanradio.net/

This one says they are going to use the Surrey and South London multiplex
http://www.trashcanradio.com/

There's quite a lot of posts from them on their Facebook page linked to from the .net website.
I live in Surrey and receive the Surrey MUX but Trash Can Radio didn't start today.Just wondering if you have any update on a new launch date? I've checked the websites but nothing said except for the .net site has a countdown clock ticking down to 1am Sunday 11th October......thanks.
bruce_appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 08:40
MikeBr
Forum Member

I live in Surrey and receive the Surrey MUX but Trash Can Radio didn't start today.Just wondering if you have any update on a new launch date? I've checked the websites but nothing said except for the .net site has a countdown clock ticking down to 1am Sunday 11th October......thanks.
Mike Spenser said earlier in the thread he might not make the September 28 launch.

Update Thursday on Facebook:

Got 3 new presenters today, Billy, Joe and Patryck...that makes 11 confirmed and another 5-6 more that need to finish up their touring/gigs and join us! We will be THEE cult station to listen to, on DAB in London, on the internet and everywhere you can listen in on your Androids and iPhones...coming soon...Trash Can Radio.
Old 29-09-2014, 13:02
Orangy
Forum Member

There's a 12 1/2 day countdown showing on their .net website at the moment
Orangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 02:09
FM_Bandit
Forum Member

Update Thursday on Facebook:

We will be THEE cult station to listen to
Spot the typo.
FM_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 16:53
CitySlicker
Forum Member

What an odd and frankly vile statement put out by Mike Spenser. The format sounds different and worth a try, but to be honest with ethics like Mike's at the helm (knowing nothing more about him than what he wrote himself here) I don't really want to try now.

Take a lesson in PR Mike, your post is very unprofessional.
CitySlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 17:14
Erwin
Forum Member

A test stream available yet?
Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 22:47
paulx23
Forum Member

And for this reason I would bet a very large sum of money on this "station" never happening.

And in the slight chance that it does, it will last a very short amount of time.

Next...
paulx23 is offline   Reply With Quote