Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Laptop won't connect to WiFi

Old 12-12-2012, 15:53
November_Rain

I've been having problems connecting my laptop to my Wi-Fi for several days now. I can connect to my router but I don't get internet access. The problem went away for a bit yesterday but now it's back. I have tried changing the wireless channel as recommended by an article I read but to no avail. I have also run a few virus scans but none of them picked anything suspicious up.

Every other device in the house is connecting without any problems so it's evidently a problem with my laptop but I can't think of any obvious solutions that I haven't already tried. Any ideas?
November_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-12-2012, 16:34
John146
Forum Member

I've been having problems connecting my laptop to my Wi-Fi for several days now. I can connect to my router but I don't get internet access. The problem went away for a bit yesterday but now it's back. I have tried changing the wireless channel as recommended by an article I read but to no avail. I have also run a few virus scans but none of them picked anything suspicious up.

Every other device in the house is connecting without any problems so it's evidently a problem with my laptop but I can't think of any obvious solutions that I haven't already tried. Any ideas?
Have you checked the wireless adapter on your laptop to make sure it is on..or if not may need resetting.
John146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:12
chrisjr
Forum Member

If you can connect to the router then that implies the WiFi is working to some extent. If it wasn't working at all then you would not be seeing the router.

It would help narrow down the problem to know what make and model of laptop you have, what make and model of router you have and what operating system you are running on the laptop.

Also have you tried a direct cable connection to the router and does that work?

Have you looked at the IP config of the laptop to make sure that all is OK there?

Have you tried deleting the connection and re-establishing it from scratch? Assuming the laptop auto-connects normally.
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:15
Stuart_h
Forum Member

First of all have you tried switching off the router then switching it on again .... i occasionally get this and a router reboot solves all sorts of ailments
Stuart_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:34
shhftw
Forum Member

If you used to run Norton 360, uninstall it. It's a Jedi thing.
shhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:38
Fran Blakes
Forum Member

Is the modem and router separate? If so, have you tried turning the modem off/on

Have you tried connected to the internet directly to the modem?
Fran Blakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 13:52
November_Rain

I have tried connecting via Ethernet and I get no problems then, it is only when I want to connect wirelessly that I encounter this problem. The wireless adaptor is definitely switched on, and I have ensured the driver is up to date. I have tried resetting the router and it makes no difference, and I have never used Norton 360.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-71311M running Windows 7. The router is the standard Virgin Media super hub from Netgear.
Old 13-12-2012, 15:01
neo_wales
Forum Member

Turn off anything else that is connecting via wifi and see if you can connect then.
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 15:27
oilman
Forum Member

When you connect a laptop to a router via wifi, you create a profile which you only need to do once (so you only have to enter password once, assuming your wifi is password protected - very bad idea not to be password protected).

Quite often, these wifi profiles seem to get lost/corrupted, and you can't connect.

So easiest thing is to go to network sharing centre, and find section on managing your wifi. You should find a list of all connections, including your router. Can't remember exact screens as not at home.

Select the router connection and delete it. This does not affect your router

Then rescan for networks.

Assuming we do not have any other problems, your network should appear and you can connect. It will ask for you network password.

If you cannot remember your wifi network password (not same as router password), you would have to logon to the router box and reset the wifi password.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 19:06
November_Rain

Turn off anything else that is connecting via wifi and see if you can connect then.
I tried this last night, still had the same problem.

When you connect a laptop to a router via wifi, you create a profile which you only need to do once (so you only have to enter password once, assuming your wifi is password protected - very bad idea not to be password protected).

Quite often, these wifi profiles seem to get lost/corrupted, and you can't connect.

So easiest thing is to go to network sharing centre, and find section on managing your wifi. You should find a list of all connections, including your router. Can't remember exact screens as not at home.

Select the router connection and delete it. This does not affect your router

Then rescan for networks.

Assuming we do not have any other problems, your network should appear and you can connect. It will ask for you network password.

If you cannot remember your wifi network password (not same as router password), you would have to logon to the router box and reset the wifi password.
I've tried this also, but again it made no difference.
Old 15-12-2012, 08:06
Tigerpaws
Forum Member

I know you said your wireless network adapter is up to date but how did you verify this? If you did this through windows there is a glitch that sometimes it tells you it's up to date when it's actually not.
Try googling the network adapter and updating it manually.
I had this problem with a Sony vaio and a new virgin hub and managed to fix it this way.
Tigerpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 08:32
PaulG78
Forum Member

what Router are you using as I have a belkin n300 and that gave me problems like yours,

normally with a separate router and modem , you switch then router on first , then the modem as the modem will detect the router correctly

If you go into your router wan settings you will see a gateway address ( if your using a virgin modem ) 192.168.1.100 or a number starting with 94.xxx.xxx.xxx , along with two DNS address,

have you also tried another Ethernet cable or just unplugged and replugged the cable you got
PaulG78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 09:19
davethorp
Forum Member

Have you tried running the networking troubleshooter in windows?
davethorp is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 21:37
MrQuike
Forum Member

Have you checked the hardware under control settings? It may be displaying a problem.

If the worst comes to the worst and your wi-fi hardware is stuffed you can always get a wi-fi USB dongle. I've been using a Netgear one on this desktop for a couple of years. It cost me less than 20.
MrQuike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 13:48
Desolate one
Forum Member

I tried this last night, still had the same problem.

I've tried this also, but again it made no difference.
Hi can you please post an ipconfig /all for review please.

To do this go to start>programs>accessories>command prompt and type the above and press enter then click on an empty area of cmd prompt and right click and choose select all and paste into your next reply.

Also can you download xirrus from the link below:

http://www.xirrus.com/products/wi-fi-inspector

Open xirrus up and hit ctrl+prt sc(printscreen) and open up paint and choose paste from the menu and save the screenshot.

Then upload to photbucket or imageshack and paste the url into your next reply please.
Desolate one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 14:58
November_Rain

Hi can you please post an ipconfig /all for review please.

To do this go to start>programs>accessories>command prompt and type the above and press enter then click on an empty area of cmd prompt and right click and choose select all and paste into your next reply.

Also can you download xirrus from the link below:

http://www.xirrus.com/products/wi-fi-inspector

Open xirrus up and hit ctrl+prt sc(printscreen) and open up paint and choose paste from the menu and save the screenshot.

Then upload to photbucket or imageshack and paste the url into your next reply please.
Hi,

Here is my ipconfig:

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cc57:2983:fd72:16a5%15
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.7
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::65ac:be46:919f:824f%13
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.17
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.{59882C29-4EB0-4680-9C92-C45E142C1141}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:2ca7:114:3f57:ffee
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2ca7:114:3f57:ffee%14
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.{33AD5D27-D103-4F1C-BAAF-E4BFC346E48C}:

And here is my Xirrus screenshot:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/xirrus.png/
Old 18-12-2012, 15:43
robertcrowther
Inactive Member

Are you using a static IP address for the wireless connection or are you using the DHCP option?
robertcrowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 21:13
November_Rain

Are you using a static IP address for the wireless connection or are you using the DHCP option?
Static.
Old 19-12-2012, 11:29
technology_love
Forum Member

Disable all wireless security (WPA2 etc). Set it to none.
Test if you can connect to the internet.

Also, make sure your DNS is set to your router - i didnt see it in your ipconfig shot.
technology_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 12:06
robertcrowther
Inactive Member

Try using the automatic DHCP option and see if that works
Old 19-12-2012, 13:12
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

try connecting wired, rather than wireless initially.see if that works.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 14:14
robertcrowther
Inactive Member

try connecting wired, rather than wireless initially.see if that works.
If you read the OP's second post, you will see they have tried using a wired connection without any problems.
Old 19-12-2012, 15:26
November_Rain

Disable all wireless security (WPA2 etc). Set it to none.
Test if you can connect to the internet.

Also, make sure your DNS is set to your router - i didnt see it in your ipconfig shot.
I've just tried it now, still can't connect to the internet.

I probably should know this but how do I go about setting my DNS to my router?

Try using the automatic DHCP option and see if that works
It turns out I was mistaken, it was in fact set to that already. I tried disabling it for a moment but still no luck.
Old 19-12-2012, 15:41
Dim-Star
Forum Member

It could be an update from your antivirus/firewall has caused this problem I had this on a computer several month ago and it turned out to be McAfee. It could also be that the either winsock or the network stack is somehow screwed up. If that is the case then resetting them should fix the problem.
Try downloading ipresetall.zip from http://rapidlibrary.com/files/iprese...898vi89on.html
Unzip then click on the .exe and let the file run until your machine reboots
Dim-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 16:16
technology_love
Forum Member

I've just tried it now, still can't connect to the internet.

I probably should know this but how do I go about setting my DNS to my router?
One the wireless adapter properties under the TCP/IP v4 settings (where you set the static IP), make sure you have your router IP as the preferred DNS.
technology_love is offline   Reply With Quote