Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Breaking Bad Vs Dexter

View Poll Results: Breaking Bad Vs Dexter
Breaking Bad 59 56.19%
Dexter 45 42.86%
Don't watch them 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 17-12-2012, 23:51
Fowl Fax
Forum Member

Breaking Bad Vs Dexter, without any doubt my two favourite TV shows at the moment but which is best?

Dexter started off really strong especially the first few seasons but went a little bit flat after the excellent 4th season. Breaking Bad was edging it but then Dexter returned with a truly magnificent 7th season.
Fowl Fax is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-12-2012, 00:07
rawr
Forum Member

Wouldn't like to compare them really. I've watched back a couple of the early Dexter seasons recently and the writing seemed a lot sharper, with some brilliant blackly humorous lines as well. I don't think it's quite at the same standard anymore, but I do still enjoy it. I also felt they had more of a handle on what they were trying to say with the character of Dexter at the beginning, and that's kind of been lost through dragging everything out over so many seasons and going round in circles.

Breaking Bad I found quite difficult to get into. I stopped watching it mid season 2 and didn't pick it up again for ages, as it just wasn't compulsive viewing for me. When I did start watching it again though, I got totally hooked. It really is a stellar show, especially the last couple of seasons.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:14
Declan_Khan
Forum Member

Breaking Bad has been excellent from start to finish. It shows the steady devolution of a once moral family man into a selfish, violent monster desperate to do anything to achieve his goals and preserve what little ego he has left given the cards life has dealt him.

Seasons 3, 5 and 7 of Dexter are pretty awful and drag it down. Season 2 is pretty bad at times as well although the fact Dexter still tried to make "friends to kill with" in later seasons after the events of seasons 2 and 3 suggest Dexter is retarded and that's why the events of season 4 really occurred.
Spoiler

No contest for me, Breaking Bad is superior.
Declan_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:22
Matt D
Forum Member

I love Dexter, but... Breaking Bad, all the way.
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:33
Fried Kickin
Forum Member

I left Dexter at around season 03
Breaking Bad however is a drug that I must consume.
Fried Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 01:02
Spanner82
Forum Member

Dexter all the way for me
Spanner82 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 02:15
Fowl Fax
Forum Member

I left Dexter at around season 03
Breaking Bad however is a drug that I must consume.
Season 4 of Dexter is pure TV Gold, especially John Lithgow.
Fowl Fax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 09:14
jesse_pinkman
Forum Member

S1 and S4 of Dexter are superb, but other than those, I'm not a fan of the other series. Not seen S7 yet though.

BB however is brilliant throughout and one of the greatest tv shows of all time.
jesse_pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 09:54
The Terminator
Inactive Member

Breaking Bad is undoubtedly superior on a basic, technical story telling level. But I have more affection for (some of) the characters in Dexter.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 10:44
Lojen
Forum Member

I love both shows, but Breaking Bad has been consistently brilliant each and every season and if anything just keeps getting better.

Dexter on the other hand is a little patchy, though this last season is right back on form.
Lojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 13:59
Jenzen
Forum Member

Love them both but Breaking Bad, its never put a foot wrong yet.
Jenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 14:28
Lady Spice
Forum Member

I object to this poll!!!!

Both shows have loads to recommend them. Why do we have to choose?

Breaking Bad I believe is a better story overall, but Dexter is more entertaining, I think. More of a quick fix (Dexter) versus a slow burn (BB).
Lady Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 18:15
loracan
Forum Member

I don't know - haven't watched Breaking Bad, but it's on my 'to do' list over christmas and I'll be back in this thread then!
loracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 20:44
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Watched two episodes of Breaking Bad and was bored, I've heard it was a bit average at the beginning but got better towards the end of the first season, so I'll probably give it another try later on...

About to start season 3 of Dexter, it's brilliant and good fun, perhaps less serious than other shows (like Homeland and what I've seen of Breaking Bad) but in my opinion still as good...

[I should point out, before I get subjected to a barrage of abuse about my giving up on Breaking Bad, that I like fast paced shows and slow paced stuff normally bores me, though I just about managed S2 of The Walking Dead]
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 23:33
chipbuttie1
Forum Member

I love both shows.
chipbuttie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 22:13
Boselecta
Forum Member

I don't understand how anyone can watch the first ever episode of BB and not be hooked?? Anyway, I slightly prefer BB cos there's been less of it and it appears to be heading for a substantive conclusion as opposed to returning season after season and running out of steam. Indeed, I though season 4 BB finale was a reasonably comprehensive ending and I'd have been content if that was it. Ultimately they are both excellent though.
Boselecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 22:31
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

I don't understand how anyone can watch the first ever episode of BB and not be hooked?? Anyway, I slightly prefer BB cos there's been less of it and it appears to be heading for a substantive conclusion as opposed to returning season after season and running out of steam. Indeed, I though season 4 BB finale was a reasonably comprehensive ending and I'd have been content if that was it. Ultimately they are both excellent though.
Erm. because it was average, and the second episode was average (and the second was kind of a chore to sit through), that's why I wasn't hooked. I gave up because I wasn't hooked, and because I probably watched too much TV at the time....
Old 20-12-2012, 01:55
Vol
Forum Member

I've only seen 3 seasons of Breaking Bad so far and 6 of Dexter.

Breaking Bad started slow but seems to be getting better as it progresses. In fact the only negative I can really come up with is just how pretentious some of the fans of the show are.

Dexter started well and had excellent first and fourth seasons - but the rest were kind of meh... it has also become laughably unbelievable in later seasons.

My vote goes to Breaking Bad.
Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 01:58
big dave in uk
Forum Member

Breaking Bad all the way. But that doesn't mean Dexter isn't good. It's brilliant. But Breaking Bad has been brilliant from day one. The writing is just head and shoulders above any other show i've ever watched.
big dave in uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 17:57
satellite
Forum Member

Love Dexter, but my vote has to go to Walter White!
satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 22:15
Ghost World
Forum Member

Breaking Bad is on a different level.
Ghost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 12:53
thetvking
Forum Member

Breaking Bad for me although Dexter runs it close.
thetvking is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 18:08
GaryMo
Forum Member

I love Breaking Bad, right from the very first episode I was hooked. It's my current favourite TV program, closely followed by Homeland.

I've never seen Dexter so not sure what to expect but I've heard good things.
Does the plot carry over from episode to episode, like Breaking Bad or is each episode its own story?

I much prefer a plot that has me saying sod it, I know I'm at work tomorrow but I can't wait until tomorrow evening to watch the next episode. Breaking Bad does exactly that to me!
I'll be in the dumps when I finish season 5, currently half way through season 4.

Out of interest, with no plot spoilers please, Breaking Bad - did the story come to a conclusion of the writers own accord or was the show not renewed? I can't imagine it being the latter though.
GaryMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 18:13
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

I've never seen Dexter so not sure what to expect but I've heard good things.
Does the plot carry over from episode to episode, like Breaking Bad or is each episode its own story?

I much prefer a plot that has me saying sod it, I know I'm at work tomorrow but I can't wait until tomorrow evening to watch the next episode. Breaking Bad does exactly that to me!
I'll be in the dumps when I finish season 5, currently half way through season 4.

Out of interest, with no plot spoilers please, did the story come to a conclusion of the writers own accord or was the show not renewed? I can't imagine it being the latter though.
Dexter is continuous, but not heavily so. Whilst every episode contributes to a season arc, and you would almost certainly miss something, it wouldn't be overly disastrous should you miss an episode. Being on Showtime there are ridiculously long "previously on Dexter" bits before every episode (and a ridiculously long, but fitting, title sequence), which are helpful if it's been a while since you saw the last episode, but get annoying during marathons...

Dexter has not finished yet, it has been renewed for an 8th season, which the producers have said is likely to be the last (so will presumably end of it's own accord).
Old 29-12-2012, 18:15
GaryMo
Forum Member

Thanks, I was talking about Breaking Bad ending with Season 5 being the last.
GaryMo is offline   Reply With Quote