Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 00:41
Brekkie
Forum Member

Happy New Year everyone - can't quite get as excited about 2013 as I was about the arrival 2012!

Happy New Year everyone.

And I pretty much agree with everything in this post. Channel 4 lacks direction and it shows painfully in its schedules. It's a scheduling mish-mash and it's dreadful. Personally, I think it needs a few more returnable dramas, build its sports coverage reputation and get a few more rights (after the Athletics World Championships shocker in 2011) and it needs a juggernaut in the schedule to hold up primetime. F1 was a big opportunity missed. A new look wouldn't go amiss because Channel 4 has had the same idents since late 2004, so 8 years. C4 needs one hell of an overhaul because the whole schedule looks so dry and so many shows on C4 have been milked to death.
F1 was a lucky escape - yes, it would rate well but they'd have got flack for the ads in races as ITV did, they'd have probably ended up with a similar split rights agreement with Sky and it would have swallowed up a good 10% of C4's budget, and C4 can't afford to be lining Bernie Ecclestones budgets. C4 need to be looking towards the cheaper end of the sports market (the racing is 5m a year for 88 days - about 25k an hour - F1 would be at least 20 times that price) where there is actually an opportunity to make a name for themselves. BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned here but they've flogged the 2013 World Athletics Champs back to the BBC.

I don't think C4 really needs new idents - their current set is still amongst the best on TV and their original set lasted 14 years. They could probably get away with keeping the idents and just refreshing the remaining presentation, but C4 does kind of need to relaunch itself and find a way back to former glories. In a way the ghost of Jady Goody still lingers as in the wake of the race row rather than drawing a line and moving on they just went too far down the PSB line at the expense of the entertainment side of the channel which has been just as important from the offset - and now six years on we seem to be left with a channel which doesn't offer the popular alternative drama and entertainment or any worthy PSB content at all - even C4 News feels like a shadow of it's former self.

A example for Channel 4 could be that Last Leg program that was better then the Big Fat Quiz Of The Year on before it, It was on a silly time-slot of 23:05 but it looked liked a program Channel 4 should be doing: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/t...f-the-year/4od
I disagree actually - 11pm feels a much more appropriate slot for that sort of show than the 9.30pm slot the main series will air in from mid-January, and actually that wasn't a bad rating at all for 11pm - but similar figures at 9.30pm and it'll be a flop.

It's hard to know where to start with getting C4 back on track but one thing they do need to do is put the effort in where both the BBC and ITV are weak, and 10pm-midnight would be one slot I'd target, especially now afternoons are a much more competitive market.
Brekkie is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-01-2013, 00:46
CUP OF TEAAA!
Forum Member

I really think the BBC should do a New Year's concert like the American's have New Years Rockin' Eve. It would be great! What we have atm is crap! A 30 minute show with some montages? A real extravanganza is needed.
Old 01-01-2013, 00:48
RobbieSykes123
Forum Member

You were once on an ITV show?
I bought the X Factor winner's song. I think it's quite good.

He finally got to me, just as his show entered its death throes!

The bastard.
RobbieSykes123 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 01-01-2013, 00:52
Brekkie
Forum Member

I really think the BBC should do a New Year's concert like the American's have New Years Rockin' Eve. It would be great! What we have atm is crap! A 30 minute show with some montages? A real extravanganza is needed.
I'm amazed they've never promoted the Hootenanny to BBC1. New Years TV though is pretty much always crap - ITV tried for a couple of years with gigs at the O2 but viewers still opted for the likes of Myleene Klass and a few fireworks on BBC1. C4 always used to be good for an alternative to - they should have run Alan Carr an hour later really tonight and had that run into New Year, with the House Party beginning shortly after midnight.
Brekkie is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 01-01-2013, 00:57
AnthonyC
Forum Member

A very happy new year to the Ratings Thread crew. best thread on here by far!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05
AlexiR
Forum Member

...C4 need to be looking towards the cheaper end of the sports market (the racing is 5m a year for 88 days - about 25k an hour - F1 would be at least 20 times that price) where there is actually an opportunity to make a name for themselves...
This is why I think the decision to grab the Paralympics is easily the best decision Channel 4 have made in years. Its an almost completely untapped market and lends itself nicely to Channel 4 creating some distinctive and interesting coverage. They should continue their coverage of Paralympic events. Its a good move for them and they have a strong team in place to cover it now. If nothing else they learnt from their disastrous athletics coverage which suggested that they'd brought the championships on a complete whim with no clue how to cover it or who should front it.

I don't think C4 really needs new idents - their current set is still amongst the best on TV and their original set lasted 14 years. They could probably get away with keeping the idents and just refreshing the remaining presentation, but C4 does kind of need to relaunch itself and find a way back to former glories...
No doubt they've lost their way. I'd suggest that their biggest problem is that they've just become bogged down by an endless stream of lifestyle shows that really aren't doing anything interesting or new. Hotel GB just served to highlight that Channel 4 has far too much on screen talent and nowhere near enough interesting or new formats for them. It may be painful but its probably time to let some of this talent go and focus on a small core group who they can develop strong new formats for. I mean how many celebrity chefs and property experts does one channel really need?

I think something else that might be worthy of mention when it comes to Channel 4 is just generally how restrained British television as a whole has become. It hasn't created the healthiest environment in which to experiment and push boundaries.

I disagree actually - 11pm feels a much more appropriate slot for that sort of show than the 9.30pm slot the main series will air in from mid-January, and actually that wasn't a bad rating at all for 11pm - but similar figures at 9.30pm and it'll be a flop.
10PM seems like the best slot for it.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06
dan2008
Forum Member

Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06
Agent F
Forum Member

The bastard.
Please tell me this is true!!!!

What a glorious way to start the new year.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07
James J
Forum Member

Nah, he must have been (DS)Fraped.

Spiritual awakening?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10
Fudd
Forum Member

The bastard.

Before long you'll be stage, auditioning in front of him!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:13
seansnotmyname@
Forum Member

Happy New Year everyone.

and how many Tory politicos were mentioned in the beebs, new years eve thing, despite Labour winning the bid.

ahh well, some will still blather about a left-wing bias.....
Old 01-01-2013, 01:13
SamuelW
Inactive Member

This months series of Lewis might not definitely be the last one. Kevin Whateley says there definately wont be a series in 2014 because theyre not filming any episodes this year. But it might return from 2015 onwards depending on what the actors are up to next year and if Laurence Fox's proposed Hollywood career takes off or not. If it doesnt return however, the last episode of this series has a satisfactory resolution for fans.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-for-good.html
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40
nick202
Forum Member

Channel 4 are showing The Iron Lady on Sunday, wonder if it can get good figures, I'm thinking over 2m but it could hit 3m.
Yes I saw a trailer for that yesterday - so that's one year from cinema release to terrestrial tv transmission.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56
cylon6
Forum Member

I reckon Miranda and MBb could be higher tomorrow, as its New Year's Day
It's certainly possible as New Year's day is when some big audiences are available. Plus the competition doesn't appear strong. The potential of getting one of the biggest audiences of 2013 is there for both.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02
Fudd
Forum Member

It's certainly possible as New Year's day is when some big audiences are available. Plus the competition doesn't appear strong. The potential of getting one of the biggest audiences of 2013 is there for both.
Odds on the biggest audience of the whole year being achieved on 1st January...?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:35
welshfoxy
Forum Member

The bastard.
Proudest profit of Cowell's life.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36
Jonwo
Forum Member

This months series of Lewis might not definitely be the last one. Kevin Whateley says there definately wont be a series in 2014 because theyre not filming any episodes this year. But it might return from 2015 onwards depending on what the actors are up to next year and if Laurence Fox's proposed Hollywood career takes off or not. If it doesnt return however, the last episode of this series has a satisfactory resolution for fans.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-for-good.html
Kevin Whateley has done the role on and off for 25 years and I imagine he wants to not do as much acting. A break won't harm it but I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed the last series. ITV have Endeavour so they have a ready made replacement.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39
Adam_Chapman
Forum Member

Odds on the biggest audience of the whole year being achieved on 1st January...?
Ooooooooh, I don`t know.. I`m still holding out for Saturday 23rd November 2013, Doctor Who`s 50th Anniversary.... certainly sounding epic atm..
Old 01-01-2013, 02:44
welshfoxy
Forum Member

X Factor episode 1 as Cowell unveils his new presenter...I won't spoil it but it will be nice to see him to see him nice.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:57
cylon6
Forum Member

Potentially three of the biggest is a possibility looking at EastEnders, Miranda (if it holds up for episode 2) and Mrs Brown's Boys. Also apart from Emmerdale at 6.30pm Up has a decent timeslot so could pull in a decent amount of viewers.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06
comedy89
Forum Member

The studios must give Angie Lansbury a new film, she rates so well at Xmas. Perhaps a guest role in Downtown, Afterall she has been in films with Dame Maggie and acted her under the table.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29
Jonwo
Forum Member

The studios must give Angie Lansbury a new film, she rates so well at Xmas. Perhaps a guest role in Downtown, Afterall she has been in films with Dame Maggie and acted her under the table.
Angela Lansbury would be great for Downton but she probably wouldn't be able to do it this year as she's doing a tour of Driving Miss Daisy in Australia with James Earl Jones.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:12
Gutted Girl
Forum Member

Happy New Year everyone.

I think that Channel4 should try and capitalise on the Paralympics success by showing more Murderball competitions. It's just a very brutal and very watchable sport.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:06
Digital Sid
Forum Member

Robbie buying the single or the show entering it's death throes?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Happy New Year everyone!

Mind if I do the roundup today?
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  

Closed Thread