Options

The War Z ‘Apologise’ After Misleading Steam Customers

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/the-war-z-apologises-after-misleading-steam-customers/
The ever-pondersome The War Z has managed yet another controversy, yesterday being forced to apologise to Steam users after advertising features the game simply doesn’t have. Or as Hammerpoint Interactive put it, what was “imagined” by those who “misread” the Steam page.

It seems that the description put on Steam was a touch… exaggerated, perhaps listing what the game is eventually planned to include, rather than what’s in there right now. And it didn’t even mention that the game is not yet beyond beta. Claiming to feature “areas between 100 to 400 square kilometers”, the game in fact currently only has one map, and it’s 72 square kilometers. It listed itself as having private servers, which it does not. And it sold itself as having skills to buy with experience points, despite the game having no skills at all.

An imaginary “hardcore mode” was listed, and it claimed the complete rubbish that 100 players could join a server when the limit is 50. So, well, a pack of lies? No, says executive producer Sergey Titov, it was in fact “presented in a way that could have allowed for multiple interpretations.”

Just a friendly heads up.

Comments

• Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    This guy's attitude really pisses me off. I'm glad I have no interest in the game. There's a vif on youtube of someone getting a permaban for no reason and the so called 'hacker traps' (unatainable through play loot caches that are supposed to catch hackers out yet in a video you can see a player access the loot (no hax) from the floor below!) are a joke, as are the admins turning up ingame and randomly kitting a player out with the best gear.
    I didn't know the game was actually something else and after the success of DayZ the devs did a last minute grab for its coat-tails. Resulting in clueless devs, frustrated players, and a game at odds with itself! (and full of hackers despite the 'measures')
    I'm all for the genre but this stab at it leaves me cold (hehe) Roll on DayZ standalone!

ETA: Still plenty of BS on the Store page.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not buy this game. This game is pretty much the worst modern game I have seen. The game is not even in alpha mode in it's current state. The screenshots and the videos are completely misleading to the quality of the game (and some of it's features), and the game should not even be on Steam.

It is an opportunistic money grab from people who saw the success of Day-Z and thought they would make their own game, and release it, whatever state it was in, during the holiday period.

This game should be boycotted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Do not buy this game. This game is pretty much the worst modern game I have seen. The game is not even in alpha mode in it's current state. The screenshots and the videos are completely misleading to the quality of the game (and some of it's features), and the game should not even be on Steam.

The screenshots look okay, but the video on the Steam store page looks awful. I was never really interested in the game anyway as it really did just look like a poor rip off of DayZ, but having read the Gamespy interview i'm even more glad that i'm not interested in buying it, he seems like an arrogant arse who is in dire need of lessons in how to handle PR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The screenshots look okay, but the video on the Steam store page looks awful. I was never really interested in the game anyway as it really did just look like a poor rip off of DayZ, but having read the Gamespy interview i'm even more glad that i'm not interested in buying it, he seems like an arrogant arse who is in dire need of lessons in how to handle PR.

The game will be F2P, it even has microtransactions and you can buy in-game points right now.

The game is a complete scam. The in-game items you buy expire when you die, so you have to buy them again. Given that humans can also kill you, you can be a server and die within 10 seconds.

This 'release' (PR Guru said there's no such thing as a release for an online game....:rolleyes:) is all about as making as much money in a short period of time as possible. It remains to be seen if the devs will update this game into an alpha stage (Lord knows it's nowhere near that right now), or just cut and run with the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The option to buy this game on Steam has now been disabled
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The War Zed?

The War Zee?

Either way it doesn't make sense :P
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Scott_P wrote: »
    The War Zed?

The War Zee?

Either way it doesn't make sense :P

They are riding on the publicity of World War Z book/film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    They are riding on the publicity of World War Z book/film.

And it's also a poor copy of Day Z

Well if would be if it wasn't just a cynical cashgrab scam from a lying developer.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When devs pull shit like this it makes me feel how I imagine sports fans do when people get busted for drugs or matchfixing. And that's not a happy feeling.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always a cash grab Day Z wanna be, I am really not surprised.

To be honest though, steam has been going to shit of late. I have a rather large collection and have had an account for about 4 years now (got a lot of games). Now its seems they will sell any old garbage on there, and the green gaming seemed to usher in a tide of shovalware. Its like the gaming crash of the 80s all over again.