Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Life of Pi released today - you watching it?

Old 20-12-2012, 15:32
Mike_Young
Forum Member

Director Ang Lee creates a groundbreaking movie event about a young man who survives a disaster at sea and is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure...

more film info at www.facebook.com/films3d
Mike_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-12-2012, 19:30
Harper_Milne
Forum Member

Yeah, the visuals look really cool
Harper_Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 19:40
Mike_Young
Forum Member

Yeah, the visuals look really cool
The critics have been harsh on it, but they say the 3d effects are good
Old 21-12-2012, 00:00
TheToonArmy
Forum Member

The critics have been harsh on it, but they say the 3d effects are good
No they have not, at least the 5 or 6 I have read.

Only the ending has come under criticism
TheToonArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 08:49
Inkblot
Forum Member

Five stars in the Telegraph, four in Time Out, two in the Guardian.

Reading comments below those reviews, it's clear that many people still think that 2D looks better than 3D. Even though Lee's use of 3D is highly praised, they say that the colours are brighter in 2D and the 3D "draws attention to itself". The Telegraph's Robbie Collin says "With enough money and technology, any studio-backed hack can make objects jump out of the cinema screen. Lee makes us yearn to jump into it". So it's the director's skill that makes us feel the film is real, not the 3D.

Maybe in the future technology will catch up with directors' imaginations, but for now it sounds like 2D is the way forward.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 12:25
derek500
Forum Member

Five stars in the Telegraph, four in Time Out, two in the Guardian.

Reading comments below those reviews, it's clear that many people still think that 2D looks better than 3D. Even though Lee's use of 3D is highly praised, they say that the colours are brighter in 2D and the 3D "draws attention to itself". The Telegraph's Robbie Collin says "With enough money and technology, any studio-backed hack can make objects jump out of the cinema screen. Lee makes us yearn to jump into it". So it's the director's skill that makes us feel the film is real, not the 3D.

Maybe in the future technology will catch up with directors' imaginations, but for now it sounds like 2D is the way forward.
You've got the wrong end of the stick.

He's praising the way Ang Lee uses 3D. He's making the point, like I'm always doing, that 3D should not just be about pop-out but depth.

It's that depth that the 3D creates that "makes us yearn to jump into it".
derek500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 15:15
Inkblot
Forum Member

You've got the wrong end of the stick.

He's praising the way Ang Lee uses 3D. He's making the point, like I'm always doing, that 3D should not just be about pop-out but depth.

It's that depth that the 3D creates that "makes us yearn to jump into it".
Fair enough - I read his comments about Buster Keaton creating "reach out and grab realness" as meaning that it's the director's skill that creates the yearning. He does mention Keaton's ability to create palpable objects on screen several times.

I guess I should see Life of Pi in 3D and decide for myself. It would be good to see a film where the 3D adds something to the experience rather than just inducing a headache.
Old 21-12-2012, 16:13
cunningham1471
Forum Member

Only if it's in 2D and also only when the kids are back at school
cunningham1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 20:30
Boselecta
Forum Member

My wife and grown-up daughter saw it today and loved it. One thing, my wife said there were a load of kids there and they were obvioulsy bored witless - wife says it's absolutely not a kid's film.
Boselecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 23:24
Scubamonkey
Forum Member

Seen it three times already ( at various preview screenings). It is certainly not a 'kids film'. It is more about religion and faith. There are few action scenes and not a huge amount of dialogue. The film is visually driven and the tiger is a persistent menace, not a cute and cuddly one. As for the 3D, when it is done well it is brilliant. But where it falters is the numerous 'poking out is the screen' moments which were unnecessary. That's said it is a great film which gets better with each viewing. I would like to see it in 2D though
Scubamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:05
TheToonArmy
Forum Member

Film of the week by Kermode and he even did not mind the 3d

Mayo and Kermode
Old 22-12-2012, 01:10
jalal
Forum Member

Several kids saw this today, was surprised as most of them found it kinda boring.
jalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 02:27
Helbore
Forum Member

I saw the trailer for this and haven't a clue what the film is about. Consequently, it left me with no desire to see it, but some random assumption that it is somehow "something I should know about."

All I could really tell you about this movie, based on the trailer, is that there is a tiger in it.
Helbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 04:25
Jonwo
Forum Member

It's a very good film, the 3D is used well and there was one scene that made the audience jump. I did like the twist at the end although I can see why people didn't like it.
Jonwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 04:26
TheToonArmy
Forum Member

I saw the trailer for this and haven't a clue what the film is about. Consequently, it left me with no desire to see it, but some random assumption that it is somehow "something I should know about."

All I could really tell you about this movie, based on the trailer, is that there is a tiger in it.
Then maybe you should watch it a bit more closely if all you learnt is there is a tiger
Old 22-12-2012, 04:50
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

there was one scene that made the audience jump.
Spoiler

It's an amazing looking film, one that needs to be watched a few times to appreciate and fully understand it Also i can imagine it not being to everyones taste and there might be a few posts in this thread saying it was boring and nothing happened, but i liked it
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 09:56
Inkblot
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Helbore

The past couple of times that I've been to the cinema, the trailer for Life of Pi has been the only one that grabbed my attention. It didn't give away an awful lot about the story but it gave a sense of what the film's about and what kind of film to expect. It's way more enticing than the horrible mess that they've put out to promote Jack Reacher.
Old 22-12-2012, 13:41
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

The trailer I saw was quite clear about how and why the tiger and boy came to be where they were, and showed some of the boy's story, including his feelings about events preceding the tiger bit, and hinted at events after.

Perhaps you should have watched more closely, Helbore!

There were a few trailers I saw at the same time as this (sadly none for Star Trek; the Jack Reacher one looked dreadful) but this was the only one that made me really want to watch the film.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 17:13
Kevin1960
Forum Member

I saw this earlier today and thought it was fantastic; quite definitely the best film I've seen this year - and I've probably seen around 50 or 60 at the cinema in 2012..

Don't take children to see it; they won't appreciate it.
Kevin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 20:55
Stansfield
Forum Member

A BIG one at that.....Trailer doesn't do it Justice.

A Magical Mystery Movie....8/10...simples.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 21:07
Rincewind78
Forum Member

I saw it on Friday and I liked it. It's a very beautiful movie, but just falls short of being an Epic. Not quite sure what. The music is very beautiful, and it stays with you, especially the opening sequence music. It reminds me of The Fall for some reason, which again is a very beautiful visual movie, but just lacks something to make it an Epic (in my view anyway).
As others have posted, some little kids where there, aged 3-5, but I would regard it to boring for young minds. And could scar them for life as
Spoiler

I also always thought this was based on an old world classic novel for some reason, and not so modern.
Rincewind78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 21:50
TheToonArmy
Forum Member

I saw it on Friday and I liked it. It's a very beautiful movie, but just falls short of being an Epic. Not quite sure what. The music is very beautiful, and it stays with you, especially the opening sequence music. It reminds me of The Fall for some reason, which again is a very beautiful visual movie, but just lacks something to make it an Epic (in my view anyway).
As others have posted, some little kids where there, aged 3-5, but I would regard it to boring for young minds. And could scar them for life as
Spoiler

I also always thought this was based on an old world classic novel for some reason, and not so modern.
Do you mean.....

Spoiler
Old 22-12-2012, 22:58
Harper_Milne
Forum Member

Saw it today. It was soo awesome. Deffo reccomend it.
Harper_Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 23:31
Rincewind78
Forum Member

Do you mean.....

Spoiler
Spoiler
Rincewind78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 12:51
Mike_Young
Forum Member

Yes the ending has been up to scrutiny, and would the film stand up without being in 3d