Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Old 22-01-2013, 12:47
Eurostar
Forum Member

Brendan was obviously inspired by those 1970s comedies as he almost exactly the same age as me and watched the same TV shows. There was one in 1974 called 'The Wackers' which was packed with double entendres and set in Liverpool, and 'On the Buses' and 'Up Pompeii' must have been staples of his viewing back then as well. I saw them all.
This series is better than the second series as there hasn't been an episode in it like the group therapy one from last year, which was decidedly lacklustre.
Brendan said in a recent interview he was heavily influenced by Les Dawson (the 'Cissy and Ada' characters he and Roy Barraclough used to play) and by Dick Emery's sketches.

It's very similar to that type of humour, with a few 'F' words thrown in for good measure
Eurostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-01-2013, 13:53
YorkshireFan
Forum Member

loved the first two series, bit disappointed in this one apart from last night, very funny
YorkshireFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:27
marcla
Forum Member

Some dozy person has written into our local rag complaining how they were "offended" by an episode of the show, but were even more upset that no one else had written into the same rag to say they were offended. Some people
marcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:39
Zayna99
Forum Member

Does anyone know what the dragonfly connection is? Mrs Brown has a dragonfly mug, there are cushions, wall plaques, a brooch, all with dragonflies on. I am wondering if there is a connection with the books that Brendan has written.
Zayna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:02
KennyT
Forum Member

Does anyone know what the dragonfly connection is? Mrs Brown has a dragonfly mug, there are cushions, wall plaques, a brooch, all with dragonflies on. I am wondering if there is a connection with the books that Brendan has written.
and don't forget the dragonfly that buzzes around grandad's head in the opening cartoon!

K
KennyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:24
Zayna99
Forum Member

and don't forget the dragonfly that buzzes around grandad's head in the opening cartoon!

K
Yes, noticed that last night. What's it all about, I wonder?

I loved this week's episode, my face was hurting I laughed so much!
Zayna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:28
Eurostar
Forum Member

Brendan says dragonflies remind him of his late grandmother
Old 23-01-2013, 13:30
Eurostar
Forum Member

Seems there won't be a fourth series of Mrs Brown's Boys in 2014

The intention is to make the Mrs Brown movie instead, but the Christmas specials will continue as usual.
Old 23-01-2013, 13:36
Agent Krycek
Forum Member

I think, and I could be completely wrong, it's something to do with The Mammy trilogy that he wrote (which, again I think, features the first incarnation of Agnes Brown) - quite what it has to do with it, I'm not sure as I haven't read the books, but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in connection with those books.

Good show this week, yes, some of the jokes were slightly older then Bruce Forsyth, but I don't really care, loved it, and the pay off at the end was brilliant

Ignore me: Just seen Eurostar's answer
Agent Krycek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:44
Eurostar
Forum Member

I think, and I could be completely wrong, it's something to do with The Mammy trilogy that he wrote (which, again I think, features the first incarnation of Agnes Brown) - quite what it has to do with it, I'm not sure as I haven't read the books, but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in connection with those books.

Good show this week, yes, some of the jokes were slightly older then Bruce Forsyth, but I don't really care, loved it, and the pay off at the end was brilliant

Ignore me: Just seen Eurostar's answer
I believe it is connected to that trilogy, especially "The Granny" novel
Old 23-01-2013, 15:12
tinman
Forum Member

Its that bad,its good.
tinman is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 16:59
richparr
Forum Member

The intention is to make the Mrs Brown movie instead, but the Christmas specials will continue as usual.
I thought that they said from the start that they were only going to do 3 series, but I may be mistaken.
richparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 18:26
Eurostar
Forum Member

I thought that they said from the start that they were only going to do 3 series, but I may be mistaken.
That was the original plan, but they could never have foreseen the outstanding success of the show.

To be honest, I think the BBC and RTE will be pretty unhappy there won't be a fourth series in 2014.....the MBB movie is of no interest or use to them.
Old 23-01-2013, 21:27
Baccattack
Forum Member

Winner!
Baccattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 00:00
Eurostar
Forum Member

Brendan has told the Radio Times this evening that there may well be a fourth series. He says he originally only intended there to be three series but he has enjoyed it so much that another may be on the cards. He appears to suggest it could happen in late 2014 or early 2015.
Old 24-01-2013, 00:18
riverside 57
Forum Member

Just want to add my congratulations to Mrs Brown's Boys on their award in the NTAs tonight! Very well deserved, I'm delighted for them!
riverside 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 00:49
Dub2
Forum Member

Just want to add my congratulations to Mrs Brown's Boys on their award in the NTAs tonight! Very well deserved, I'm delighted for them!
What did they get?
Dub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:13
Eurostar
Forum Member

What did they get?
Best sitcom
Old 24-01-2013, 01:44
performingmonk
Forum Member

The Valentine's episode was brilliant! And congrats to Brendan and the crew for picking up the NTA!!
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 03:49
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I was pleased that Mrs Brown's Boys won the NTA. I was initially torn between MBB and The Big Bang Theory but once I saw that no one from TBBT was there, I knew it hadn't won, so thought MBB just had to win!

The intention is to make the Mrs Brown movie instead
I hope it's a bit more fun than Brendon O'Carroll's first Mrs Brown film! Ha.
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 07:26
Yera
Forum Member

Well done Brendan and all!!
Yera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 07:39
Ted Murray
Forum Member

I think you must have missed out the "h".
Ted Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:22
dory353
Forum Member

I'm really disappointed about this aswell. I would much prefer a fourth series sooner rather than a movie
dory353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:33
jsmith99
Forum Member

The Valentine's episode was brilliant!................
Indeed it was, but is valentine's day a big thing in Ireland? The programme gave the impression that having a date, or even just going out, was of tremendous importance.

In England, it was never anything special in the past; now it's just an excuse for restaurants to double their prices.
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 11:54
~Twinkle~
Forum Member

Brendan has told the Radio Times this evening that there may well be a fourth series. He says he originally only intended there to be three series but he has enjoyed it so much that another may be on the cards. He appears to suggest it could happen in late 2014 or early 2015.
I hope that this is correct, I haven't enjoyed a comedy series as much as Mrs Brown's Boys since OFAH and Brendan's award is well deserved.

I've tried to watch Miranda but it doesn't work for me, it's too silly and the stuff of school children, but MBB somehow rises above the obvious slapstick, maybe it's because Brendan, acting under the guise of a woman, reminds us of someone we know or knew, very like her, minus the frequent "f" words. Those words uttered by Agnes aren't offensive and I'm the world's worst at being offended by foul language, I'm first in the queue to turn off a film where every other word is an expletive. It doesn't happen with MMB, it just makes me laugh even more because you don't expect to hear it from a "mammy".

Congratulation to Brendan and to Jennifer Gibney, the latter being a lady who can bring light to anyone's life when she smiles. the darkest of rooms would be lit up when she smiles.
~Twinkle~ is offline   Reply With Quote