Options

BBC+1 - When ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
As far as I can see, BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 are the only channels without a +1.
Isn't it time these cannels had a +1 ?
It would alleviate clashing problems.

Comments

• Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Why, with the plethora of on-demand services available through a TV, along with numerous opportunities to record things, would anybody endorse a +1 channel nowadays?

They're a large cancer on the EPG as it is. We don't need more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a rumour they were dumping BBC 4 so I can't see them creating a +1. They'd need a +1 for every channel too. it's too much. What's wrong with iplayer?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 has no commercial logic for the BBC.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It's never going to happen.

Plus ones exist for two reasons, to maximise ad revenue, and as "placeholders" to stop other broadcasters buying up channels - neither of these apply to what the BBC does.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    +1 channels should ALL be scrapped. There is no need whatsoever in a world with recorders, and online broadcasters.

You could use the spectrum for far more useful original channels
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While there are all kinds of ways to catch up now, +1 channels still seem very popular with viewers; for example ITV1+1 has a daily reach of 2.1m according to BARB, Channel 4+1 is even better at 2.9m.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    +1 channels should ALL be scrapped. There is no need whatsoever in a world with recorders, and online broadcasters.

+1 channels still come in handy when you want to record multiple programmes.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    There was a rumour they were dumping BBC 4 so I can't see them creating a +1. They'd need a +1 for every channel too. it's too much. What's wrong with iplayer?
    They are certainly not dumping BBC Four (or any other channel for that matter).

Commercial broadcasters launch +1's as I believe that they can leverage more ad revenue for very little in the way of programming cost.

The BBC does not rely on advertising, and have a very good and highly-functional iPlayer service instead
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

^^^^ This
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They certainly should be scrapped on sites with Freeview Lite where there is more limited number of channels available.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is rare for the channels with a "+1" service to have anything worth recording. It is not usually necessary with the number of repeats everywhere.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

This^^^
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I can see, BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 are the only channels without a +1.
    Isn't it time these cannels had a +1 ?
    It would alleviate clashing problems.

I wish they would, too. It'd solve a lot of scheduling clashes. Sadly, the BBC have spent too much money on Iplayer to cave in to public demand with +1 channels.
    ^^^^ This

Thirded (or probably fourthed by now) about the fact I also want to record programmes rather than rely on Iplayer.
    lundavra wrote: »
    It is rare for the channels with a "+1" service to have anything worth recording. It is not usually necessary with the number of repeats everywhere.

+1 channels are just giving you an extra chance to see something. They can only help. They're never a hinderance and not everything gets repeated, especially BBC1 programmes.

A case in point is tonight's Outnumbered Xmas special which they've clashed with some good output on C4. I see their programmes get a repeat within the week - although for Peep Show, before now this series, it didn't - but there's no reason why BBC1 couldn't have shown Outnumbered again when lots of their other Xmas shows do.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thats a very slim market, unless you record a huge amount, versus the potential of new channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    +1 channels are just giving you an extra chance to see something. They can only help. They're never a hinderance and not everything gets repeated, especially BBC1 programmes.

NEVER?

They are using up very limited spectrum which could be used by other channels?

Given the level of repeats anyway on the major channels, you are actually showing a lot of programmes 4 times, as they are shown once, and then repeated on the same channel, then the same again on +1 channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEVER?

They are using up very limited spectrum which could be used by other channels?

Given the level of repeats anyway on the major channels, you are actually showing a lot of programmes 4 times, as they are shown once, and then repeated on the same channel, then the same again on +1 channels

So that's two distinct broadcast times per week. That's not a problem when there's 24hrs in a day.

And the +1 channels on satellite use less bandwidth than a regular channel anyway. It may well be the same situation on Freeview and cable, and most likely is on Freeview. And they're more use to me than several shopping channels.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    There main purpose is if you turn on ITV, C4 and so on, half way through a show, and you say that looks interesting I will catch it now on the +1 channel so they get your view of their advertising.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC iPlayer is a general +2 timeshift of all BBC channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    BBC iPlayer is a general +2 timeshift of all BBC channels.

Or "+whenever they get their arse in gear"
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - but this should be built into the functionality of the epg, rather than existing as a separate channel.

So, you have a recording clash, Sky+ or FreeSat+ knows that there's a delayed feed that can help resolve this. The future is really in the reverse epg, ie you look forward a week, as of now; but, you can also look back a week, and record/watch what you want by pulling it from the broadcaster's server. Likewise, rather than have a delayed channel wit its own now & next, the main channel would have now, next and previous!
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never, I hope. If ever there was a more pointless waste of bandwidth, I'd like to know about it. When Freeview is desperate for bandwidth and bitrates are being squeezed to the point of causing poor PQ on all channels it seems perverse to use what little room there is for +1's.
  • Options
    GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Or "+whenever they get their arse in gear"

But for live viewing, all the BBC iPlayer channels can be rewound by 2 hours, effectively giving you up to a +2 channel.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I CAN set the PVR -not a problem!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Yes - but this should be built into the functionality of the epg, rather than existing as a separate channel.

So, you have a recording clash, Sky+ or FreeSat+ knows that there's a delayed feed that can help resolve this. The future is really in the reverse epg, ie you look forward a week, as of now; but, you can also look back a week, and record/watch what you want by pulling it from the broadcaster's server. Likewise, rather than have a delayed channel wit its own now & next, the main channel would have now, next and previous!

So like a recordable Iplayer. Trouble is, I'd rather not have it DOGged. Then again, that's a rarity if you watch some HD channels when they unnecessarily stick a logo on to tell you what you know.
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Never, I hope. If ever there was a more pointless waste of bandwidth, I'd like to know about it. When Freeview is desperate for bandwidth and bitrates are being squeezed to the point of causing poor PQ on all channels it seems perverse to use what little room there is for +1's.

You could say that about HD taking up Freeview space, in both PQ terms and using DD5.1 in films (except ITV)
    But for live viewing, all the BBC iPlayer channels can be rewound by 2 hours, effectively giving you up to a +2 channel.

Ah, I see what you mean. I can do that on my PC but haven't tried it on my TV or XBMC.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So do PVRs, narrative repeats, video on demand, Sky+ and iPlayer.

Even more so in fact as many allow the viewer more control and flexibility rather than being tied to an inflexible schedule.

And +1 channels have limited use for programmes over 60 mins where you realise that you have just missed 65 mins of an 80min programme.