DS Forums

Gerry Anderson RIP

Old 26-12-2012, 16:52
Kolin Klingon
Inactive Member

A man beyond his times.

Thanks for the hours of entertainment.
Kolin Klingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-12-2012, 16:57
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

He really never got the recognition he deserved. Should have been Sir Gerry a long time ago, not just for his shows but for his contribution to the British movie industry.
When Hollywood came over here to make movies like Star Wars, Alien, Superman and not to mention the Bond movies, where did the effects wizards get their start? A lot of them began on Gerry Anderson's shows.
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 16:58
d0lphin
Forum Member

For some reason I was thinking of the Sinn Fienn guy...then realised that is Gerry Adams.
Me too
d0lphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:01
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

A true legend in TV, his work was a massive part of my youth.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:03
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

Anderson produced some classic TV shows. For me UFO was probably his best. A dark storyline some great special effects and great production standards for the time.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:03
SPECKLEDUST
Forum Member

R.I.P Mr Anderson.
SPECKLEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:08
Microkorg
Forum Member

RIP Gerry
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:13
TranceClubber
Forum Member

R.I.P Gerry.

I loved Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet when i was a kid they used to be repeated alot on BBC Two in the 90s.
TranceClubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:17
elasticlove
Forum Member

Such an important part of my childhood, I only got the Thunderbirds entire collection on DVD last Christmas
elasticlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:21
Spot
Forum Member

This is very sad news. Thunderbirds was mentioned only this morning in a discussion about TV and childrens' toys on Stephen Bumfrey's show on BBC Radio Norfolk. As a result of this I had been planning to watch an episode of Thunderbirds tonight - then I heard this news.

I was exactly the right age for Gerry's TV series and loved them all, with Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet being my favourites. He was one of the greats in the history of television. Most people of a certain age will know how much enjoyment he gave to our generation, which has happily been shared by many of those who came after us.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:31
c0bo
Forum Member

This is very sad news. RIP to the creator of one greatest TV shows of all time Thunderbirds. RIP Gerry Anderson.
c0bo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:32
Ian Aberdon
Forum Member

Was kinda hoping International Rescue might have made it in time, but not to be.

RIP Gerry, but what you created is timeless.
Ian Aberdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:33
glaschelle
Forum Member

Gerry gave many happy memories to loads of children (myself included). Joe 90 was my favourite!
glaschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:36
Xxino
Forum Member

R.I.P Gerry. Thanks for the F.A.B. memories!
Xxino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:37
c0lefax
Forum Member

This is very sad news. Thunderbirds was mentioned only this morning in a discussion about TV and childrens' toys on Stephen Bumfrey's show on BBC Radio Norfolk. As a result of this I had been planning to watch an episode of Thunderbirds tonight - then I heard this news.

I was exactly the right age for Gerry's TV series and loved them all, with Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet being my favourites. He was one of the greats in the history of television. Most people of a certain age will know how much enjoyment he gave to our generation, which has happily been shared by many of those who came after us.
Same sort of experience here too, I was reminiscing with a friend over yesterdays lunch about Thunderbirds. Was thinking about digging out my fav episode (the one with Rick O'Shay the TV pirate).

My childhood was mostly late 80's and early 90's, when it started to get repeats on BBC2 (I think!) in the 90's I was hooked. Got all the matchbox toys, had TB's wallpaper etc. It got me into the other ones too, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, although I found Joe 90 and Supercar hard to find on VHS.

Such great memories going to my nan's house having home cooked fish and chips and watching Thunderbirds. I'll always have those fantastic memories, thanks Gerry! RIP.

P.S. I really think he should of been knighted.
c0lefax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:39
BellaRosa
Forum Member

So sad and 3 legends gone over Christmas
BellaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:43
td1983
Forum Member

Very sad news. I was a child of the 90's generation when Thunderbirds took off all over again-I used to love watching it at six on a Friday night on BBC 2, and my mum and my granny told me they had enjoyed watching it too back in the day. I also later enjoyed Captain Scarlet and Stingray when they were repeated too. Thanks for all the memories Gerry, RIP.
td1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:43
Prince Monalulu
Forum Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Anderson

Hopefully we'll see the Thunderbirds/Gerry Anderson doc aired again.
Prince Monalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:50
ValW
Forum Member

His imagination was limitless, his perfectionism broke boundaries and even his flops were more charming and entertaining than most producers' successes.

I rarely use the word genius. Today we have lost one of the most creative geniuses ever to grace the earth.
ValW is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:51
peteblue
Forum Member

RIP in peace Mr Thunderbirds. You will be sadly missed.
peteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:52
jwsg
Forum Member

The UFO series are arguably the pinnacle of British Sci-Fi, with a drama sadly lacking in some modern television.
jwsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:53
Spot
Forum Member

The one I was going to dig out - and I definitely will now - is Danger at Ocean Deep, which is the only one where John Tracy goes out on a rescue. The discussion on the radio this morning touched on how John seemed to have been condemned to a life permanenetly orbiting earth in the space station Thunderbird 5, but in fact the official line was always that two of the Tracy brothers - Alan and John - share this duty, doing a month on and a month off and piloting Thunderbird 3 the rest of the time. However Gerry Anderson was said to dislike the John puppet for some reason, so John was hardly ever seen with the rest of his family. Danger at Ocean Deep is the exception, where Alan is actually shown taking over from John for his tour of duty in the space station, and John then returns to Tracy Island and then goes out on a rescue with Virgil in Thunderbird 2.

I will be digging this one out shortly and watching it in memory of Gerry Anderson.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:55
Hot Dogg
Forum Member

Very sad news. A true innovator.
Hot Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 18:07
NerdyMagee
Forum Member

I thought he was working on a new Thunderbirds series. This is sudden and sad.
NerdyMagee is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 18:08
Ed R.Marley
Forum Member

Did he dieded
Ed R.Marley is offline   Reply With Quote