Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Has Moffat jumped the shark?

Old 26-12-2012, 22:14
AmishWanted
Forum Member

Another poor Christmas episode, a lesbian lizard in a relationship with an earthling, trying to upstage the gay robots in the last series? Could not see any relevance to the story line?

Dr Who trying to be more kissy feely with his new assistant?

In the BBCs attempt to promote minorities and shiny medals for all, has Moffat had his day?
AmishWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-12-2012, 22:22
shortcrust
Forum Member

So speaks yesterday's man.....
shortcrust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:23
tomwozhere
Forum Member

A load of rubbish. I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but seriously? Sorry not sorry.
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:24
James Frederick
Forum Member

I thought that was a pretty good sub plot myself hope we see more of them tbh
James Frederick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:33
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Promoting minorities? The happily married. That minority?
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:34
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Also. Gay robots? What gay robots? Genuinely confused about that one.
Old 26-12-2012, 22:36
Helbore
Forum Member

a lesbian lizard in a relationship with an earthling, trying to upstage the gay robots in the last series?
Do you mean the lesbian lizard and her wife who were previously in series 6 and not just introduced in this last episode?

Also... gay robots? I remember some somewhat annoying robots, but not gay ones.
Helbore is offline   Reply With Quote
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

I don't remember the robots being gay. That's if you're referring to those voiced by Mitchell and Webb in Dinosaurs.

Also, not sure why sexuality is such an issue with you.
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

Well it wouldn't be Moffat without "gay" would it. In fairness it was a lighter touch than the usual sledgehammer.

It's the first xmas special I've enjoyed for a couple of years to be honest.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:37
moonburn
Forum Member

watched it 4 times now.
best Christmas one in a very long time.

I love the scoops of Mystery hes adding never taking the straight path.DT's doctor a lot of the stories were emotional powerful but nothing really to make you think what the hell is going on and how will this end.
moonburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:38
James Frederick
Forum Member

If you wish to be specific there is a minority in every episode The Doctor a alien where he is the only one left can't get much more of a minority than that
James Frederick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:42
Helbore
Forum Member

Well it wouldn't be Moffat without "gay" would it. In fairness it was a lighter touch than the usual sledgehammer.
I reckon RTD was really a Time Lord himself and actually regenerated into SM. Its the only explanation for the continuance of the Gay Agenda (TM).

Old 26-12-2012, 22:43
Elphie_Lives
Forum Member

Another poor Christmas episode, a lesbian lizard in a relationship with an earthling, trying to upstage the gay robots in the last series? Could not see any relevance to the story line?

In the BBCs attempt to promote minorities and shiny medals for all, has Moffat had his day?
Aren't they both technically 'earthlings'? I liked them not just because I'm gay and like it be represented (though I do like it just being stated that they're married rather than 'suspiciously intimate") but because I like how the doctor obviously trusts them and I'd like a spin off of their adventures.
Elphie_Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:43
J_Peasmould
Forum Member

Had you asked the same question a year ago I would have said 'yes,' but after yesterday's episode I would say a great big 'no!'

a lesbian lizard in a relationship with an earthling
Before you know it lesbian lizards will be turning up in Eastenders!!
J_Peasmould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:44
J_Peasmould
Forum Member

Aren't they both technically 'earthlings'? I liked them not just because I'm gay and like it be represented (though I do like it just being stated that they're married rather than 'suspiciously intimate") but because I like how the doctor obviously trusts them and I'd like a spin off of their adventures.
I would LOVE to see such a spin off show!!
J_Peasmould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:47
Elphie_Lives
Forum Member

I would LOVE to see such a spin off show!!
Fanficiton may be our only hope.
Old 26-12-2012, 22:50
Helbore
Forum Member

Fanficiton may be our only hope.
I thought it was Obi-Wan Kenobi?
Old 26-12-2012, 22:50
Theo_Bear
Inactive Member

I gave up with Doctor Who when it started to become overbearingly obvious that RTD was using the show to promote his own private little agenda. Plus after Ecclestone left, the show started to become something that wouldn't be out of place on CBeebies. That trend accelerated when Moffat took over. What I saw of the last series with Matt Smith that I was unfortunate enough to catch looked like TV for the Igglepiggle generation.

Personally, I think the BBC has been using Doctor Who to promote homosexuality. Just my own opinion. It clearly was with Torchwood.
Theo_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:53
mikw
Forum Member

I gave up with Doctor Who when it started to become overbearingly obvious that RTD was using the show to promote his own private little agenda. Plus after Ecclestone left, the show started to become something that wouldn't be out of place on CBeebies. That trend accelerated when Moffat took over. The 2 mins of the last series with Matt Smith that I was unfortunate enough to catch looked like TV for the Igglepiggle generation.

Personally, I think the BBC has been using Doctor Who to promote homosexuality. Just my own opinion. It clearly was with Torchwood.
The BBC, itself, would have no input into the stories; i'm sure Moffat wouldn't work for them if they did.
mikw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:53
nebogipfel
Forum Member

No.....there is one other. *nods sagely*
Old 26-12-2012, 22:55
Elphie_Lives
Forum Member

I gave up with Doctor Who when it started to become overbearingly obvious that RTD was using the show to promote his own private little agenda. Plus after Ecclestone left, the show started to become something that wouldn't be out of place on CBeebies. That trend accelerated when Moffat took over. What I saw of the last series with Matt Smith that I was unfortunate enough to catch looked like TV for the Igglepiggle generation.

There is nothing wrong with homosexuality so I don't see anything wrong with the BBC or anyone showing it positively. Like in this case two married women who fight crime in Victorian London there's always been lesbians.
Old 26-12-2012, 22:57
Helbore
Forum Member

So we have the gay agenda, a dig at both showrunners, a couple of over-exaggerations to make the point seem more valid, a general insult to everyone who watches the show and a general dig at the BBC - along with a side-helping of not actually having watched much of the show at all.

Yep, I think you're going to fit in nicely, here.
Old 26-12-2012, 22:57
saladfingers81
Forum Member

I've read some utter drivel in my time but the OP really takes the cake. I suppose this is the point where one has to qualify their response with the usual 'everyone sees things differently blah blah blah' platitudinous nonsense but nope. Some opinions deserve nothing better than a point and laugh response. This is one of them.
saladfingers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 23:00
saladfingers81
Forum Member

Oh and same for Theo Bear. I thought i had stumbled below the line on a Daily Mail article for a second. Pathetic and insidiously nasty posts both of them. Here's some sage advice. Stop watching Doctor Who. You really don't get it at all do you.
saladfingers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 23:04
JayPee86
Inactive Member

deleted
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote