Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Something I don't quite understand.

Old 27-12-2012, 17:06
Firegazer
Forum Member

The ending of "The Snowmen" where Clara is in the graveyard.

Which Clara is that? Where is she? At what point in her timeline? How will the Doctor find her if both versions are dead, and he 'can't cross his own timeline'?

It's confusing.

And in reference to who she is, it's probably a regenerated River Song or something.
Firegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-12-2012, 17:07
silentNate
Forum Member

She IS The Great Intelligence
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 17:19
Facepalmer
Forum Member

That was a new Clara. You'll have to watch the next half of the series to find out the rest.
Facepalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 17:45
Ethel_Fred
Forum Member

You treat each Clara Oswin Oswald the Doctor meets as a separate person with their own separate life - but who have some form of connection between each other (liking to make souffles etc).
Ethel_Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 19:18
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

I don't think anyone knows at the moment. Just wait and see.
TheSilentFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 19:23
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

She IS The Great Intelligence
Well if so since she was born from Ice this would explain her lack of attire in the freezing cold.
Paradise_Lost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 21:03
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

That was a new Clara. You'll have to watch the next half of the series to find out the rest.
I agree with this. She is a third version of Clara and not either of the two we have previously met.
Midnight Moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 21:10
sandydune
Forum Member

Why couldn't the Doctor somehow catch Clara as she fell? and if Clara ain't dead where's red?
sandydune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:48
Whovian_Kacela
Forum Member

River used up all her regenerations when she brought the Doctor back to life in Let's kill Hitler, remember.
Whovian_Kacela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:57
Listentome
Forum Member

We don't have the answers yet but I don't see why it is confusing. Just before we see the modern day Clara in the cemetry The Doctor explains he's come across different versions of her and is off to meet her again. So it surely wasn't unexpected that we would see another Clara.

Anyway it was a teaser to lead into the rest of series 7

Best
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:38
tomwozhere
Forum Member

The one thing I'm wondering about is the gravestone in the future. Surely Clara would wonder why her name was on the gravestone, unless she already knows who she is.
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:41
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

Unless she was looking at the grave of great great aunt Clara who she was named after.
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:45
tomwozhere
Forum Member

Unless she was looking at the grave of great great aunt Clara who she was named after.
That's probably it!
Old 02-01-2013, 22:40
Corwin
Forum Member

The one thing I'm wondering about is the gravestone in the future. Surely Clara would wonder why her name was on the gravestone, unless she already knows who she is.
From what was shown she wasn't looking at the Gravestone though.

She was only using the graveyard as a shortcut and just happened to stop by her gravestone cause her friend called out to her at that moment.

Of course she may well have used the shortcut before and seen the gravestone on a previous trip.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 22:52
tomwozhere
Forum Member

From what was shown she wasn't looking at the Gravestone though.

She was only using the graveyard as a shortcut and just happened to stop by her gravestone cause her friend called out to her at that moment.

Of course she may well have used the shortcut before and seen the gravestone on a previous trip.
But you would think that she would have noticed.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:06
Cel1084
Forum Member

River used up all her regenerations when she brought the Doctor back to life in Let's kill Hitler, remember.
There are still possibilities for unaccounted for regeneration before Mel, though I don't think Clara is river.
Cel1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43
hypergreenfrog
Forum Member

But you would think that she would have noticed.
But we don't know if her name even is the same in this life. The girl in Victorian times was called Clara Oswin Oswald, but the one in the Asylum was only called Oswin Oswald, not Clara.Maybe the person we see in the graveyard is called Clara + something completely different.

Also, I agree with Corwin, she didn't actually look at the gravestone in the scene. Maybe that's what will happen in the first scene of the next episode, Clara finding her "own" grave.
hypergreenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16
Thrombin
Forum Member

The ending of "The Snowmen" where Clara is in the graveyard.

Which Clara is that? Where is she? At what point in her timeline? How will the Doctor find her if both versions are dead, and he 'can't cross his own timeline'?
It's confusing.

And in reference to who she is, it's probably a regenerated River Song or something.
The Doctor can't (or tries not to) cross his own timeline, in the sense of visiting a time and place where he might meet his earlier self but I don't see how that applies here.

Presumably he will just look up the TARDIS database to see if there have been any other Clara Oswin Oswalds in history and go visit that time and place. Or, possibly, the TARDIS can home in on a person once its sampled their DNA or something.

Either way, there's no need to cross his timeline.
Thrombin is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19
Thrombin
Forum Member

Was it all her regenerations? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought it was just some unspecified number.

In any case, if a Time Lord dies they regenerate into a new body so the fact that Clara seems to keep having the same body would tend to argue against her being just a regenerated River. I don't think even a Time Lord could have survived the Asylum explosion anyway!

She could, however, be some kind of psychic projection of River from the Library but, in that case, why change her form?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52
Torry_Z
Forum Member

But we don't know if her name even is the same in this life. The girl in Victorian times was called Clara Oswin Oswald, but the one in the Asylum was only called Oswin Oswald, not Clara.Maybe the person we see in the graveyard is called Clara + something completely different.

Also, I agree with Corwin, she didn't actually look at the gravestone in the scene. Maybe that's what will happen in the first scene of the next episode, Clara finding her "own" grave.
Oswin isn't Asylum versions first name I don't think. She says "Oswin Oswald, Junnior Entertainments Officer Starship Alaska" Name rank and serial number, she doesn't think to say her first name.
Torry_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56
darthbibble
Forum Member

Was it all her regenerations? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought it was just some unspecified number.
The quote was something like "you used up your remaining regenerations"
darthbibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15
tomwozhere
Forum Member

I know it's likely she didn't see it, but I do think her name will be Clara Oswin Oswald because they doctor told her that she had a nice name and she shouldn't change it. This just makes me think that Oswin dropped Clara from her name.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

Either way, there's no need to cross his timeline.
I wonder if he'll play it cagey though - after all, he doesn't know if anything he does now will affect the nature of his meeting with the first Oswald in the Asylum.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34
Thrombin
Forum Member

I wonder if he'll play it cagey though - after all, he doesn't know if anything he does now will affect the nature of his meeting with the first Oswald in the Asylum.
Neither version of Clara recognized the Doctor when they first met him so it seems that they don't retain their memories from one lifetime to the next. As such, I doubt that it matters how much he reveals to the new Clara. She won't remember it by the time Asylum comes along.

Unless, of course, she's a time travelling entity and Asylum has actually already happened for her
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35
Listentome
Forum Member

Perhaps she is already on her own adventure to find out why a dead woman has her name.

There are still possibilities for unaccounted for regeneration before Mel, though I don't think Clara is river.
Not so sure about that. River clearly says in Let's Kill Hitler that the last time she regenerated was in New York into a toddler, as we saw in Day of The Moon.

Sure she could have regenerated between being a baby in A Good Man Goes To War and being a child in The Impossible Astronaut, and The Doctor has said regeneration is fairly random. But would a baby or child regenerate into a young woman of Clara's age and then back into a child again?

Ok, the little girl in Day of The Moon doesn't seem to be surprised by her on coming regeneration, so could suggest she has done it before. But I took it that as a Time Lord (or part Time Lord) she had an innate knowledge of what regeneration is.

Anyway, bit long winded and kind of off track. I agree with you that I don't think Clara is River. I think Moffat would want to do something new with Clara.
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote