Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What's happened to Carly Rae Jepsen?

Old 29-12-2012, 01:46
eddy.malloy14
Forum Member

I posted a thread about her a couple of months back about her new single flopping. But now it's had a release and time. What has happened to her?!? She had so much hype surrounding her and everyone was saying she was the next big thing! Personally I don't think she is gonna break Call Me Maybe. This year has been the year of 1 Hit Wonders in the UK and I think she might be another one to add to it. What are you thoughts?
eddy.malloy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-12-2012, 01:52
digichant
Forum Member

Well her voice is really not very good and it sounds annoying, call me maybe was just a really good song.
Nobody is really that interested in her.
digichant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 01:54
KissesDontLie
Inactive Member

What position did the dreadful song she released with the god-awful Owl City get to?
KissesDontLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 04:26
sjp07
Forum Member

What position did the dreadful song she released with the god-awful Owl City get to?
Double platinum in the US and New Zealand. Quadruple platinum in Australia. #8 US #5 UK
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 05:18
Makson
Forum Member

She has zero star quality. I doubt we'll be hearing much from her again.
She should be thrilled with her addition to the "one-hit wonder" club though.
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 08:56
Hound of Love
Forum Member

She has zero star quality. I doubt we'll be hearing much from her again.
She should be thrilled with her addition to the "one-hit wonder" club though.
Seems as though Gotye will follow her into the one hit wonder club
Hound of Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 10:06
walterwhite
Forum Member

It's took her 4 years of plodding along to get where she is now and it looks like she's going to disappear almost immediately.
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 10:18
meeech
Forum Member

She still had one of the biggest singles of 2012, not many people can say that, so even if she is a 1 and a half hit wonder, then least it was a massive hit.
I listened to her album a few times & there was only a few standout tracks, This Kiss (not sure why it flopped) I think it needed more promotion which Call Me Maybe obviously didn't.. & Tonight i'm getting over you.
meeech is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 10:58
Eric_Blob
Forum Member

She had so much hype surrounding her and everyone was saying she was the next big thing!
I don't really remember that. I remember people saying from Day 1 that she would be a one-hit wonder, and then being shocked when her song with Owl City was a hit.

Maybe on this forum people were thinking she'd have a massive career, but this forum is overly optimistic and biased when it comes towards female pop stars, but that's certainly not how the general public felt, most people thought she'd be a one-hit wonder.

It's obvious from the way the song became a hit. It wasn't through normal methods originally, it was a Justin Bieber/Selena Gomez video that kicked things off. I remember immediately after that video (literally), the song was shooting up iTunes all around Europe and US, then a month or so later radio stations started to play it because it was hanging around on iTunes everywhere. She can't have Justin Bieber do a parody video of all her songs to make them hits.
Eric_Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:00
odie8391
Forum Member

I think airplay was a factor. 'This Kiss' just seemed to come out of nowhere and was released. There was no advertising, no radio airplay.

There was a bit of TV airplay but if you don't have Sky then you're only getting two music channels and it was rarely on VIVA.

If she got the airplay that 'Call Me Maybe' got then I'm sure it would have at least went top 40. At least she had 'Good Time' with Owl City to stop her becoming a one-hit wonder.
odie8391 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:36
O.Michel
Forum Member

She tried to release a second single and it flopped. Her album also underperformed, but I can't write her off just yet. You never know.
O.Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:37
eddy.malloy14
Forum Member

I don't really remember that. I remember people saying from Day 1 that she would be a one-hit wonder, and then being shocked when her song with Owl City was a hit.

Maybe on this forum people were thinking she'd have a massive career, but this forum is overly optimistic and biased when it comes towards female pop stars, but that's certainly not how the general public felt, most people thought she'd be a one-hit wonder.

It's obvious from the way the song became a hit. It wasn't through normal methods originally, it was a Justin Bieber/Selena Gomez video that kicked things off. I remember immediately after that video (literally), the song was shooting up iTunes all around Europe and US, then a month or so later radio stations started to play it because it was hanging around on iTunes everywhere. She can't have Justin Bieber do a parody video of all her songs to make them hits.
She won a few awards I believe. Something like MTV's Rising Star or something along them lines. So they must of believed she had a good career ahead of her.
eddy.malloy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:54
konebyvax
Forum Member

She joins Gotye as a one hit wonder (to be fair they were both massive hits).
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:59
ashtray88
Forum Member

Goyte is an indie artists though, so he will continue to release material.
ashtray88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 12:13
Shadow2009
Forum Member

One thing I never liked about Carly was how she never gave credit to Carlos Pena (from Big Time Rush) for 'Call Me Maybe' blowing up. Sometimes in interviews she would give credit to Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez but it was Carlos who actually recorded the video and edited it then posted it from his YouTube channel.

Bieber and Selena got all the credit for it and I've even heard Bieber say in an interview that he heard the song on the radio and Tweeted it to his fans which made it popular. The sad thing is Carlos posted a YouTube video after his Call Me Maybe video blew up and said he'd love to meet Carly and that he was so happy the video got so popular, and yet he never got any credit for the songs success.
Shadow2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 12:15
KillerJoe
Forum Member

She's extremely cheesy for me.. very teeny-bop.. I'm not sure it's what people want today.. although her collab with Owl City was catchy.. if she continued down that route she could pull of something similar to the Guetta collabs in a cheesy but good fashion.
KillerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 12:30
Bex.
Forum Member

still can't believe she's 27
Bex. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 15:16
KissesDontLie
Inactive Member

You said it yourself she's a one-hit wonder
KissesDontLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 19:06
Harper_Milne
Forum Member

She probably wont have to work another day in her life so good luck to her
Harper_Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 19:43
SuperDude95
Forum Member

still can't believe she's 27
I was shocked when I found out how old she was.
SuperDude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 20:17
Verence
Forum Member

Even if she is a one hit wonder that's still one hit more than DS posters will ever have
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 20:39
digichant
Forum Member

Even if she is a one hit wonder that's still one hit more than DS posters will ever have
So what?
digichant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 20:45
kryskrys
Forum Member

Isn't it slightly too early to call her a one hit wonder? I mean if we're excluding the Owl City collaboration (which was also a hit) then she's only released two singles in the UK so far.

Both of her albums (and her EP) are brilliant anyway, so that's all that really matters to me.
kryskrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 20:48
martinmills2
Forum Member

she should have released Curiosity, This Kiss was terrible.
martinmills2 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 21:05
Pumpkin Soup
Forum Member

It's a shame that her album and follow-ups have underperformed. She is an excellent songwriter and has a beautiful tone to her voice. I gather she will be given another shot though, as Call Me Maybe sold a lot plus she writes all her own material so budgets shouldn't really be an issue.
Pumpkin Soup is offline   Reply With Quote