Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

EE 4G Coverage improving really quickly!

Old 29-12-2012, 20:41
ajh94
Forum Member

Since EE launched 4G I have noticed 4G coverage improving all the time... Just 10 days ago I took a screenshot of the map over my area but zoomed out, then another one today. The difference is insane.

Check out the screenshots.

18th December: http://i.imgur.com/WBBxf.jpg?1

Today (29th December): http://i.imgur.com/0Ou4j.jpg?1

ajh94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-12-2012, 21:33
plymouthbloke1974
Forum Member

Mate they ain't hanging about. It's only going to get quicker and quicker this rollout malarky

By the time my current contract ends in March 2014 I *may* consider it (and as long as they offer more than 8GB allowance by then)
plymouthbloke1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 21:41
booie
Forum Member

This time next year should be a very interesting picture from most of the providers.
booie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 21:47
barker71
Forum Member

In the areas where the 4g upgrades are happening does this also mean that back haul and the 3g dc-hsdpa upgrades happen at the same time ?
barker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 22:29
ajh94
Forum Member

Mate they ain't hanging about. It's only going to get quicker and quicker this rollout malarky

By the time my current contract ends in March 2014 I *may* consider it (and as long as they offer more than 8GB allowance by then)
You're right there, are they gonna really quickly end up having 4G coverage that's like as good as 3G is now? It's moving a lot quicker than I expected it to.
Old 29-12-2012, 22:50
John_Patrick
Forum Member

You're right there, are they gonna really quickly end up having 4G coverage that's like as good as 3G is now? It's moving a lot quicker than I expected it to.
It isn't just the lte work going on, ee are doing a major refresh project and have been for some time now, mainly on tmobile sites. Lte kit has been there for some time and just requires switching on, hence the speed of the roll out.
John_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 23:28
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

It isn't just the lte work going on, ee are doing a major refresh project and have been for some time now, mainly on tmobile sites. Lte kit has been there for some time and just requires switching on, hence the speed of the roll out.
Only in some of the cities we've seen switched on so far.. From here on in there are upgrades to done first.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 23:40
plymouthbloke1974
Forum Member

Only in some of the cities we've seen switched on so far.. From here on in there are upgrades to done first.
You'd be surprised..... Very surprised at the amount of kit that is ready to go.
plymouthbloke1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 23:42
moox
Forum Member

If I remember what I've read correctly, isn't the LTE rollout linked to a refresh of GSM equipment?

I am in Cornwall and I've noticed that I'm getting EDGE a lot more than I used to (almost never) - which I'm assuming must be due to the refresh. I haven't seen the GPRS indicator in ages, normally only when I am roaming on Orange.

Does this mean that EE could therefore be preparing the GSM sites around me for EDGE and LTE (to be switched on in the future)?
moox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 00:18
ajh94
Forum Member

It's pretty impressive, might just stick with EE now when my contract ends
Old 01-01-2013, 19:22
KesterK
Forum Member

I'm really surprised, I live in a town called Ossett in West Yorkshire just between Dewsbury and Wakefield and I was bored the other day so looked at the EE 4G coverage and we now have 4G in our area!

Looks to have been switched on in parts of Kirklees and Wakefield, but no mention of this in their marketing and I signed up to receive emails when 4G launches in my area, but no email.
KesterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 22:38
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

You'd be surprised..... Very surprised at the amount of kit that is ready to go.
Yes but they'll still be awaiting upgrades to something along the chain ie Fibre etc. but totally agree, surprising amount of masts/cabinets done that are waiting to go live.

There should be a few surprises in the next few weeks. <keeping schtum>
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21
davybhoy
Forum Member

I'm really surprised, I live in a town called Ossett in West Yorkshire just between Dewsbury and Wakefield and I was bored the other day so looked at the EE 4G coverage and we now have 4G in our area!

Looks to have been switched on in parts of Kirklees and Wakefield, but no mention of this in their marketing and I signed up to receive emails when 4G launches in my area, but no email.
Do you actually live in a 4G area though? I live in Greater Belfast and Belfast has it, but as it doesn't reach out this far yet so I haven't had an email.

It seems to be rolling out thick and fast though
davybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49
KesterK
Forum Member

Do you actually live in a 4G area though? I live in Greater Belfast and Belfast has it, but as it doesn't reach out this far yet so I haven't had an email.

It seems to be rolling out thick and fast though
Yes my area now has 4G.
Old 02-01-2013, 13:22
davybhoy
Forum Member

Yes my area now has 4G.
I won't expect an email then lol
Old 02-01-2013, 15:23
KesterK
Forum Member

I won't expect an email then lol
Well it seems a bit weird because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except on twitter. The @EE account said to someone else that the switch on started from Leeds and is working its way outwards... But there's quite a gap in the 4G coverage between Leeds and Dewsbury/Wakefield.
Old 02-01-2013, 15:49
Step666
Forum Member

Well it seems a bit weird because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere except on twitter. The @EE account said to someone else that the switch on started from Leeds and is working its way outwards... But there's quite a gap in the 4G coverage between Leeds and Dewsbury/Wakefield.
It would make more sense to light it up in towns near Leeds then fill in the gaps that to expand the coverage out as a bubble from Leeds so that relatively-sparsely-populated areas were covered before reaching nearby towns.
Step666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:50
danielmeah
Forum Member

Hope the same will happen here in liverpool, very slow speeds in evening

http://imgsq1.serversupportgroup.com...9db7270d7e.png
danielmeah is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:48
KesterK
Forum Member

Hope the same will happen here in liverpool, very slow speeds in evening

http://imgsq1.serversupportgroup.com...9db7270d7e.png
Upload seems decent, strange that download is slower than upload.
Old 21-01-2013, 23:18
DevonBloke
Forum Member

More coverage updates I see.
The mast covering the EE call centre in Plympton (find Plymouth and go right a bit) is now showing. Also looks like its expanding elsewhere too.
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 23:26
srw985
Forum Member

The mast covering the EE call centre in Plympton (find Plymouth and go right a bit) is now showing. Also looks like its expanding elsewhere too.
A few new sites on the wirral.

Also a few new sites added in North Wales. There are other sites active in the area that aren't shown on the map too.

The Wirral is part of the Liverpool coverage area although I'm not sure why sites in North Wales are going live so quickly.
srw985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 23:31
DevonBloke
Forum Member

There was talk of Wales being covered by spring. Don't know where it came from though.
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 23:42
davybhoy
Forum Member

Looks like it has improved over here a wee bit as well. The areas that had it now seem to have better coverage and it has spread out a bit. It's now sparse the whole way around Dundonald with none actually in Dundonald - typical
Old 22-01-2013, 00:15
ajh94
Forum Member

Manchester and Liverpool have almost merged into one big block of 4G. I have also noticed Chelmsford in Essex is now blanketed in 4G, LTE is moving very very close to where I live and LTE is now just 10 miles from me! I really can't believe how quick they are rolling this out. I didn't expect to have 4G here for ages, looks like it might not be long
Old 22-01-2013, 00:40
srw985
Forum Member

There was talk of Wales being covered by spring. Don't know where it came from though.
I have also seen people up the 3/Tmobile masts messing with the antenna's a few times round here
srw985 is offline   Reply With Quote