Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What were your opinions on Sonia and Martin (EE)

Old 30-12-2012, 12:34
KissesDontLie
Inactive Member

Just interested in the forum's opinion on Sonia and Martin, and the storylines which centered around them (the whole lesbian fiasco, Martin being stabbed etc)
KissesDontLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-12-2012, 12:37
Scrabbler
Forum Member

The Martin and Sarah plot was really good, I wished they had continued it. I didn't mind Sonia, but turning her into a bisexual and having a very repetivie plot where her and Pauline would argue got really tiresome and by the end I was glad to see them leave.

I wouldn't be against a return for Martin and Rebecca, they could even recast them and I wouldn't mind.
Scrabbler is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:40
StarryNight
Forum Member

I stopped watching EE when they left. I really enjoyed their stories in the end. Their whole history together was really interesting. I thought the stalker storyline was a bit of a let down but when they found 'Chloe' i.e. Rebecca I thought it was brilliant. I really used to love Martin at that point because he became a right good little Dad. I haven't watched it since but I know Sonia returned at one point so I guess they since split up off screen and Martin got Rebecca.
StarryNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:42
Broken_Arrow
Forum Member

I liked Sonia but Martin was a bit boring. I never took to them as a couple but I enjoyed Sonia's feuding with Pauline.
Broken_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:56
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

Martin would never have looked twice at sonia, just like jamie would never have looked twice at sonia.
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:58
Lucyycul
Forum Member

Martin would never have looked twice at sonia, just like jamie would never have looked twice at sonia.
Very true Jamie and Sonia never ran true
Lucyycul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 13:09
jesus of xanadu
Forum Member

I'd like to see Sonia return... with her child..
jesus of xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 13:59
NickJordan
Forum Member

God I loathed them. They were so unbelievable together and even worse apart
NickJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 17:02
Rixion
Forum Member

I liked that crazy girl trying to ruin everything but the rest was dire.
Rixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 17:07
Dr K Noisewater
Forum Member

They became very tiresome towards the end and the whole Sonia/Naomi lesbian storyline was dire. It was nice that they got a happy ending though reuniting after their divorce and leaving with Rebecca happily. It was such a shame when Sonia returned for 1 episode they had her mention they'd split up as Martin had had an affair. It was unnecessary as it didn't even lead to Sonia returning full time she was only back for one episode they could easily have explained his absence.
Dr K Noisewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 17:11
Hound of Love
Forum Member

Agreed.
Hound of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 17:18
Scrabbler
Forum Member

They became very tiresome towards the end and the whole Sonia/Naomi lesbian storyline was dire. It was nice that they got a happy ending though reuniting after their divorce and leaving with Rebecca happily. It was such a shame when Sonia returned for 1 episode they had her mention they'd split up as Martin had had an affair. It was unnecessary as it didn't even lead to Sonia returning full time she was only back for one episode they could easily have explained his absence.
They had her previosuly say she had married problems just so she'd jump in Phil Mitchells bed, it was very bizarre.
Scrabbler is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 17:21
KissesDontLie
Inactive Member

They had her previosuly say she had married problems just so she'd jump in Phil Mitchells bed, it was very bizarre.
I found it a bit hilarious
KissesDontLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 17:31
KatrinaK
Forum Member

I can't say I ever liked them together and this is coming from someone who liked them as individual characters.

Sonia Jackson, for example was one of the rare few teenagers who had a good head on her shoulders. She was ambitious, strong willed and had an opinion. Where there was a Zoe Slater, there was a Sonia Jackson. She also stood up to bullys like Phil Mitchell, and for that, she'll always score brownie points for me.

It was the point where EE paired her up with Martin that the character drastically lost it's appeal. For one, she was totally mismatched with Martin. Even if I could forget that he got her pregnant at 15, treated her like dirt and then killed the true love of her life (Jamie), I really did think, as a pair they had zero chemistry. Actually, Sonia had zero chemistry with the Fowlers, full stop. Her hostile relationship with her mother-in-law, Pauline didn't make great TV. Pauline was also a character who was suffering at the time.

I also found during this time, Sonia became a stuck up snob. While Sonia always wanted more out of life and didn't want to settle for having a stall at the market (nothing wrong with that), she developed this superiority complex, which only intensified when she met Niaomi. I loathed how she treated her husband, looked down on him for selling fruit, yet it was good enough for her when she married him. Her affair with Niaomi was also tedious. I never had anything good to say about the "getting Chloe/Rebecca back" plot either. It had plot holes from start to finish.

The best of Sonia and Martin was when Sarah the stalker came into thier lives. That's it really.

Sonia for me was always at her peak with Jamie and she had good chemistry with the Mitchells and Brannings. It was when she became a Fowler she went down hill.
KatrinaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 18:33
secretagent
Forum Member

Sonia was a terrible character played by a terrible actress.
secretagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 18:54
Mattehhhftw
Forum Member

I liked them although turning Sonia into a bisexual was silly. The plot with that mad woman (sarah was it?) was good.
Mattehhhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 19:02
CherryRose
Forum Member

I'd like to see Martin back but not Sonia.
CherryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 19:43
LadySnowblood
Forum Member

Hate them and their wee brat.
LadySnowblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:06
SuperDude95
Forum Member

I hated Sonia, I liked Martin though
SuperDude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:20
Supercalifragil
Forum Member

I didn't like either and found she was an unbelievably bad actress: over dramatic, exagerated, her crying scenes made me cringe.

I have not missed them!
Supercalifragil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:28
funcat650
Forum Member

Very true Jamie and Sonia never ran true
I didn't like either and found she was an unbelievably bad actress: over dramatic, exagerated, her crying scenes made me cringe.

I have not missed them!
All these.
funcat650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:38
Dixon
Forum Member

Bored me to tears tbh.

Today's young cast get a lot of stick around here, but i think the likes of Lola and Lauren are infinantly more watchable than the likes of Sonia.
Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:40
bass55
Forum Member

I didn't mind Martin, but Sonia bored me to tears. And her week-long lesbianism was laughable

Martin was actually a decent character and probably would have fared better if he wasn't paired up with the dreadful Sonia. I quite liked his, albeit brief, relationship with Carly Wicks. But his marriage to Sonia was just relentless misery.
bass55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:53
Harlowe
Forum Member

I think they were OK,I liked the earlier storylines with them it got a bit silly at the end though.
Harlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 22:00
Sylvia
Forum Member

I agreee. And Martin was a bit of a plank too.
Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote