Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lost DVD and VCR tape? how to get back? Does DVD player keep record?

Old 31-12-2012, 06:55
books
Forum Member

I have lost a VHS tape which had sentimental videos on it, I played it on my VCR and also on my DVD/VCR combo player. Does a VCR or a DVD/VCR combo player have maybe some kind of hard drive or way to get them back, like could it have recorded it somehow even though I only played the VHS tape on the VCR and on the DVD/VCR combo? like what a PC does? The last time I played the VHS tape on the VCR and the DVD/VCR Combo was maybe back in 2002. Im not very technical and just was hoping? Anyone know?
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-12-2012, 09:43
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I have lost a VHS tape which had sentimental videos on it, I played it on my VCR and also on my DVD/VCR combo player. Does a VCR or a DVD/VCR combo player have maybe some kind of hard drive or way to get them back, like could it have recorded it somehow even though I only played the VHS tape on the VCR and on the DVD/VCR combo? like what a PC does? The last time I played the VHS tape on the VCR and the DVD/VCR Combo was maybe back in 2002. Im not very technical and just was hoping? Anyone know?
No, DVD's and VCR's don't do anything of that kind.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 11:21
c4rv
Forum Member

Sorry, but no unless you specifically select the record option its not going to keep a copy.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 18:08
books
Forum Member

Sorry, but no unless you specifically select the record option its not going to keep a copy.
Ohh I didn't realize you could even get DVD/VCR combos that you can put in a VHS tape and record directly onto the same DVD/VCR machine?
Old 31-12-2012, 18:29
niall campbell
Forum Member

was it a tv programme ?? or film ?

if it was camcorder maybe someone has a copy of the original ?
niall campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 19:20
books
Forum Member

No it was just old memories from a camera But nothing I can do about it now. I did play it on another DVD/VCR combo a few years ago, but Im not sure if it had a recording feature on it? as the DVD/VCR combo is under a whole load of old furniture and would take a good day to dig it out. If its not possible that a DVD/VCR combo can record a VHS tape at all when its played, then theres not point in my spending a day looking for it. So basically what your saying is that no DVD/VCR combo has a way of making a copy of a VHS tape if you play it in the machine? am I correct?
Old 31-12-2012, 21:46
alan1302
Forum Member

No it was just old memories from a camera But nothing I can do about it now. I did play it on another DVD/VCR combo a few years ago, but Im not sure if it had a recording feature on it? as the DVD/VCR combo is under a whole load of old furniture and would take a good day to dig it out. If its not possible that a DVD/VCR combo can record a VHS tape at all when its played, then theres not point in my spending a day looking for it. So basically what your saying is that no DVD/VCR combo has a way of making a copy of a VHS tape if you play it in the machine? am I correct?
If the DVD/VCR combo has a DVD recorder then it could record onto a DVD but it would only have done that has you specifically asked it to record.
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 21:59
chrisjr
Forum Member

If the DVD/VCR combo machine has a recordable DVD section then it is entirely possible that it could record from VHS tape to DVD disk.

However, to do so requires you to have done the following

1/ Insert VHS tape into VCR section
2/ Insert a blank recordable DVD disk into the DVD drive
3/ Press PLAY on VCR
4/ Press RECORD on DVD

If all you did was 1 and 3 but not 2 and 4 as well then no copy of that tape will have been made. 2 and 4 will not happen by themselves. Even if the machine had a hard drive in it and you substitute Hard Drive for DVD in the above 2 and 4 would still have to have been done by you.

And of course even if you DID do 2 and 4 you would still have to try and find the disk you put in the machine!
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 13:24
AidanLunn
Forum Member

It will make a copy to a DVD recorder or a hard drive if it has one attached.

VCRs don't (unlikely for technology invented in 1976) and most DVD/VCR combos don't have a hard drive.

Even if they did, they would only copy to another format with your permission - automatic copying to another format would bring up endless legal problems with regards to copying copyrighted material. And would unnecessarily increase the cost, complexity and size of such a product.
AidanLunn is offline   Reply With Quote