Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Old 15-01-2013, 14:55
Servalan
Forum Member

Forgot to mention, I loved the line when Katrine said she could hardly walk and Hanne replied "that'll teach you for drinking with an alcoholic"
Line of the year so far!
Servalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2013, 15:28
Verence
Forum Member

I wonder if they reason they chose 1982 as the cutting off point was that was the year the Conservative People's Party had their first Prime Minister

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poul_Schl%C3%BCter

After the Social Democrats had been in power in one form or another for the vast majority of the time since 1929
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 15:33
LostFool
Forum Member

Imagine the furore here if a drunk male PM banged his sec and then got his press officer to ger rid. LOL.
I don't think it has happened to a PM but John Prescott got away with it while DPM.
LostFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 15:54
Andy-B
Forum Member

I don't think it has happened to a PM but John Prescott got away with it while DPM.
Prescott got rid of his secretary straight after shagging her while drunk?
Andy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 17:04
LostFool
Forum Member

Prescott got rid of his secretary straight after shagging her while drunk?
I don't know if he was drunk at the time (but knowing Prezza, it's possible), but he did have an affair with one of his secretaries: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4945170.stm

Mind you, the though of Prescott shagging his secretary on his office desk isn't something most people would rather not have in their head.
Old 15-01-2013, 17:11
catsitter
Forum Member

Well, there were lots of rumours about Harold Wilson and Marcia Falkender having an affair but he didn't sack her.
catsitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 18:30
saralund
Forum Member

Mind you, the though of Prescott shagging his secretary on his office desk isn't something most people would rather not have in their head.
You have to hope they burned the desk. Can you imagine having to work on it??
saralund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:54
Franglais
Forum Member

Sorry to go off topic a bit here but I'm sure you'll all remember the bloke wot Katrine shagged who suddenly kicked the bucket? Who was he and what role did he have in the Danish govt (in the film, not in real life!)?

It's been nagging at me for some weird reason........
Franglais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:59
chloe_26
Forum Member

Poor Kim. I think he really liked the PM. I don't blame her either he's lovely, I would!
http://s1310.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
chloe_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 21:00
chloe_26
Forum Member

Sorry to go off topic a bit here but I'm sure you'll all remember the bloke wot Katrine shagged who suddenly kicked the bucket? Who was he and what role did he have in the Danish govt (in the film, not in real life!)?

He was the former PM's advisor.
chloe_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 21:05
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Ole Dahl, the communications chief for Prime Minister Lars Hesselboe. He had the credit card receipts in the hotel room that Kasper used to bring down the PM.
barnsleykeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 21:08
Andy-B
Forum Member

I don't know if he was drunk at the time (but knowing Prezza, it's possible), but he did have an affair with one of his secretaries: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4945170.stm
Everyone shags the secretary. The point in Borgen was about the moral, decent Nyborg berating a tabloid editor for his behaviour when she'd just messed up someone's career because she got drunk and needed a quick shag to boost her self-esteem. And didn't have the guts to tell him directly.
Old 15-01-2013, 21:09
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Poor Kim. I think he really liked the PM. I don't blame her either he's lovely, I would!
http://s1310.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
Reminds me of Sid South
Old 15-01-2013, 21:09
Franglais
Forum Member

Ah yes BK, thanks, I remember now!

It's them grey cells, y'know..........
Old 15-01-2013, 21:13
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Ah yes BK, thanks, I remember now!

It's them grey cells, y'know..........
I watched Season 1 again a few days ago - because I'd forgotten so much.

One thing that came to mind on rewatch. I thought Kasper had told Katrina all about his dad and why he hated him so much. But I don't think that way now. I think she still doesn't know the real reason why Kasper lied about his dad and the abuse. I don't think anyone does.
Old 15-01-2013, 22:04
Damzel
Forum Member

I think I like Borgen too much as I had a dream about the EU and Denmark.
The one flaw is how fast Philip and Birgitte divorced. I'm hoping it's brought up in a future storyline.

I can't blame the driver. I'd find a Birgitte very hard to resist. A true PMILF

I would find Philip impossible to resist , he's such a handsome man.
Damzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 23:59
KJ44
Forum Member

The one flaw is how fast Philip and Birgitte divorced.
It did say "11 months later" at the series start, maybe you missed that?

Or I dreamt it.
KJ44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 00:21
Franglais
Forum Member

Dunno about Borgen but I note the Americans have a remake of TK and "Americanised" it. Why do they keep doing this and not buy the whole thing lock, stock and barrel from Denmark as we so happily do in the UK and thoroughly enjoy watching them from the edge of our armchairs?
Old 16-01-2013, 00:29
carax
Forum Member

Sofie Gråbøl allegedly said words to the effect that Americans are incapable of reading and watching moving pictures at the same time.
carax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 03:14
Andy-B
Forum Member

The one flaw is how fast Philip and Birgitte divorced. I'm hoping it's brought up in a future storyline.
The one flaw is in your comprehension.
Old 16-01-2013, 16:10
The Turk
Forum Member

Dunno about Borgen but I note the Americans have a remake of TK and "Americanised" it. Why do they keep doing this and not buy the whole thing lock, stock and barrel from Denmark as we so happily do in the UK and thoroughly enjoy watching them from the edge of our armchairs?

Sofie Gråbøl allegedly said words to the effect that Americans are incapable of reading and watching moving pictures at the same time.
First thing I want to say is that though I don't contribute much to threads about The Killing and Borgen, I do watch them as avidly as those who post on these threads. I mainly enjoy just reading the comments on them and as someone who used to complain about the lack of foreign language dramas on British tv, its a joy to see them not only being shown but actually being watched with decent viewing figures. As well as being commented on forums like this!

In response to your posts, I agree its a shame the Americans can't embrace sub-titled dramas currently like we do but we should be careful before criticising them too much as it wasn't that long ago our own networks were showing zero sub-titled dramas. Its great we're finally watching sub-titled dramas and this can only be good for us as this makes us more open-minded about other countries as we learn about them and their cultures, and the BBC and other UK networks might take a few pointers from Danish tv on how to improve our own drama output, just as the Danes learned from British -and American- tv in the past to improve their drama output.

Nonetheless we must remember that we went through a very long period of showing little if any sub-titled drama before BBC4 showed French drama The Spiral which slowly, but surely, started the increase in the channel's output from other European countries.
Perhaps some people will disagree with me and we probably did show the odd sub-titled drama here and there during the last twenty years or so but I don't think we've ever had it as good as we currently do with BBC4 and even some other channels showing sub-titled dramas.
The Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 16:46
Andy-B
Forum Member

as we so happily do in the UK and thoroughly enjoy watching them from the edge of our armchairs?
When you say "we" you do mean the 4th digital channel of the public service broadcaster knocking out niche subtitled drama to, if you're lucky, an audience of several hundred thousand.

No multi-digital channel, no public service boadcaster = no subtitled drama.

Plus, networks can do it in the US because the market is so much bigger, and therefore the potential audience - for remade, non-subtitled drama - so much bigger. It's a financial decision.
Old 16-01-2013, 16:55
LostFool
Forum Member

When you say "we" you do mean the 4th digital channel of the public service broadcaster knocking out niche subtitled drama to, if you're lucky, an audience of several hundred thousand.
Borgen has been getting 1 million viewers which is excellent for any of the non-main channels. Very few programmes outside the main 5 break the million barrier.
Old 16-01-2013, 17:34
The Turk
Forum Member

Also, we don't know for sure the Americans aren't capable of watching sub-titled dramas. Its ultimately down to the networks over there. Downton Abbey has been a success in the US just like the Danish dramas have been over here, which at least shows there are enough Americans who are capable of watching a tv drama that isn't American. Downton Abbey is shown in the US on PBS and I think that would be the perfect home for sub-titled dramas. So now the next step for them is, are they capable of watching sub-titled dramas?
The Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 19:10
LudwigVonDrake
Forum Member

Don't they subtitle some British shows in the US? In fact I've seen them subtitle their own when the speech is clearly audible. (ie. usually on some 2nd gen. American-Mexican or someone from the Blue Ridge Mountains).
LudwigVonDrake is offline   Reply With Quote