Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Old 20-01-2013, 07:30
capekdeh
Forum Member

Can anybody remind me, please? In series one, Kasper went to a funeral. Whose funeral is that? He was alone, and then Katrine came to accompany him.

I agree with you all. Brilliant episode. So sad.
capekdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-01-2013, 07:37
Gutted Girl
Forum Member

His father's funeral.
Gutted Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 07:52
tellygirl
Forum Member

I get up early to watch recorded programmes and sometimes go on laptop as well if I get distracted but this is one of the few I really look forward to and don't do anything but watch.

Like others I ended up in tears about Kasper's revelation to Katrine but felt it was so movingly done and the acting was superb. Part of me can't wait till the next episodes but then I am sad it will soon be over. I'll definitely watch over again before deleting from planner.
tellygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:23
Franglais
Forum Member

I suppose kasper's selling his childhood flat with its horrible memories, his father's lonely funeral and revelation to Katrine could be seen as a closure of that part of his life and now he can move on.
Franglais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:59
squadge
Forum Member

Surely you mean Katrine?

And there was no mention of this mysterious Stine in the first episode this week. Me and the OH don't remember the bit shown in the second episode's catch-up where Kasper is leaving his apartment on the phone, saying "Stine, I'll be with you soon". I looked back at tonight's first episode and you see him leaving his gf's apartment (after he gets the late call, says it's work and he'll have to stay over) but we never found what he actually ended up doing?

Oops - I do - sorry. past my bedtime when I wrote that.
I to wonder who stine is? His mother? a hidden sister?

Last edited by squadge : 20-01-2013 at 10:01. Reason: spelling
squadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 10:31
Servalan
Forum Member

I was in floods of tears the end of that episode.
This has to be the BEST show on TV. It was all done so subtly. What an amazing performance by Kasper, and at the end with Katrine, I felt like my heart was ripped out.
I think what I love the best about this show is that it credits the audience with some intelligence. Nothing is overly laboured or pushed home.
And the characters are just first class. Cannot wait for next week, I really look forward to this two hours of first class TV every week.
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

British drama has so much to learn from Borgen.

But I too am baffled by the mysterious 'Stine' ... hopefully a pay-off is pending before the end of this series (only two more Saturdays! ).
Servalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:25
Verence
Forum Member

Laura's psychiatrist Dr Iverson was played by Henrik Birch who also played opposition leader Anders Ussing in TK3
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:57
catsitter
Forum Member

In the first of these two episodes, after Amir resigned, I was expecting Birgitte to hold off from announcing her new cabinet until a new Green Party leader was appointed and she had the chance to try and persuade them to stay in the government. I would have thought she would have a good chance of this with a new party leader?
catsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:59
Servalan
Forum Member

Laura's psychiatrist Dr Iverson was played by Henrik Birch who also played opposition leader Anders Ussing in TK3
Thank you - I knew I'd seen him somewhere before and couldn't recall whether it was The Killing or The Bridge.
Servalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:06
saralund
Forum Member

I thought the manic toothbrushing scene rang horribly true to life. Birgitte can't make herself hard enough to leave her family to sink or swim, and the conflict is pulling her apart,

The acting in Borgen is terrific. You don't at any time feel that the actors are wondering how they look on camera - they're inside themselves being the character. It's substance over style.
saralund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:15
Verence
Forum Member

Thank you - I knew I'd seen him somewhere before and couldn't recall whether it was The Killing or The Bridge.
The chance are that every actor in Borgen has appeared in one of other of those shows

As for Henrik when I saw his name in the end credits it looked familiar so I checked IMDB
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:23
david1955
Forum Member

I can't add any more in terms of praise for the acting, but this series has some wonderful true to life comic touches.

The Green Party leader being discovered to own a Cadillac, reminds me of the time when David Cameron made a great deal of his " Green" credentials by cycling to work each day , only for it to be discovered that a car carrying his suit followed directly behind.

Great to see the lovely Sanne back in the PM's office, and still doing her curtseys .
david1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:33
StaxVolt
Forum Member

So there I was with nothing much to say about Borgen S2 for the first four episodes even though I thought 3 and 4 were much better than 1 and 2,I still wasn't compelled to post.

That was until last night and the sheer quality of the 6th episode which was nothing less than a tour de force.I realise that my lack of background knowledge of Danish party politics could be prohibitive but somehow it isn't and not least because of the patience displayed by the Scandis on here and their wecome answers to various queries(Tak).

I remember an episode of TK3 when the huge number of protagonists were heading for a live TV debate and the set looked ready a round of Fifteen-to-One!

Anyway,back to last night and the superbly thought out climax to Kasper's horribly traumatic childhood so neatly delivered via the sale of his family home,a contemporary adversarial political situation to spin,and finally the desperate need for him to have a confidante,which was much more than someone with whom to share his secrets and I think he has chosen well.

My only criticism of Katrine's character is simply that at this rate,she'll soon be giving Harry Redknapp a run for his money in the 'How Many Jobs?' stakes.Even when it's not at full throttle Borgen seems to be over too quickly but last night's double was superb stand-alone television imo.
StaxVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:56
striing
Forum Member

He looked so familiar but I couldn't place him.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:14
tealady
Forum Member

Oops - I do - sorry. past my bedtime when I wrote that.
I to wonder who stine is? His mother? a hidden sister?
Lotte described Stine as claiming to be Kasper's girlfriend, so I infer that Stine was Lisa the one he shagged. Unless her surname was mentioned as something else that is.
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:15
tealady
Forum Member

Amazing performance as Kasper, really convincing.
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:24
milliejo
Forum Member

We saw a lot of Kasper's naked backside in these two episodes...
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:36
Welsh Witch
Forum Member

Last night was the first time I'd seen this show. I thought it was brilliant, great acting, good story lines, and the emotional scenes were really understated. Can't believe I cried over a character that I've only invested one hour in Testament to the quality of the show though.

Any idea how I can watch the previous series'?

Ta
Welsh Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:59
Straker
Forum Member

Any idea how I can watch the previous series'?
DVD.

Quality eps, especially the second - A proper choker although I do find myself asking why are they so fixated on child abuse in these Nordic dramas? Is there an epidemic of it in real-life over there?
Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:09
LostFool
Forum Member

Lotte described Stine as claiming to be Kasper's girlfriend, so I infer that Stine was Lisa the one he shagged. Unless her surname was mentioned as something else that is.
I hope we see more of Lisa. She looked fantastic in although not in the usual Scandinavian blonde style.

Kasper certainly does well with the women. I wonder if it's his power or the beard? Maybe I should grow a beard...
LostFool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:27
striing
Forum Member

Kasper certainly does well with the women. I wonder if it's his power or the beard? Maybe I should grow a beard...
Unless you think you've got a chance of becoming the Prime Minister's spin doctor?
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:37
Shrike
Forum Member

In the first of these two episodes, after Amir resigned, I was expecting Birgitte to hold off from announcing her new cabinet until a new Green Party leader was appointed and she had the chance to try and persuade them to stay in the government. I would have thought she would have a good chance of this with a new party leader?
Yes it did seem very odd not to hold off. But Amir always seemed personally close to Birgitte, maybe she knows none of his likely successers would work with her so she cut her losses.

I don't think the timeline worked for that - Kasper seems to have been with "Stine" for some time, Lisa was a very recent conquest (and I suspect a one off given she is a Labour party activist).

Oh - and big Yay! Sanne's back!!!
Shrike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:44
Forget-me-not
Forum Member

I hope we see more of Lisa. She looked fantastic in although not in the usual Scandinavian blonde style.

I think it is more the power of his puppy dog eyes....limpid pools of gorgeousness.....
Forget-me-not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:51
Casmana
Forum Member

I'm still going through Series 1 and it does help as you see the PM from the beginning and the changes that happen.
But then I think series 2 stands on it's own too.
A newcomer to this particular thread but not the series .
Imo there were some wonderful scenes between Birgitte and stay at home husband Paul not to mention how Birgitte came to be PM in Series 1 which I think should be viewed before Series 2 to gain complete understanding ... as well as the insight into Kasper's character via storylines with Katrine .
Casmana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:52
chloe_26
Forum Member

I don't think the timeline worked for that - Kasper seems to have been with "Stine" for some time, Lisa was a very recent conquest (and I suspect a one off given she is a Labour party activist).

Oh - and big Yay! Sanne's back!!!
I'm not quite sure of Kasper's allure, he does seem to get the good looking ones, guess he must be good with words, his body wasn't much to look at when he took his shirt off (or bum lol) And Sanne still looked interested too
Lisa was a conquest from a Labour event before, she just happened to call when Kasper was drinking in the office. We probably won't see the mysterious Stine...
chloe_26 is offline   Reply With Quote