Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Old 20-01-2013, 14:55
Franglais
Forum Member

I can't add any more in terms of praise for the acting, but this series has some wonderful true to life comic touches.

The Green Party leader being discovered to own a Cadillac, reminds me of the time when David Cameron made a great deal of his " Green" credentials by cycling to work each day , only for it to be discovered that a car carrying his suit followed directly behind.

Great to see the lovely Sanne back in the PM's office, and still doing her curtseys .
Another unforgettable comic quote was when they said "nobody plants trees in January". Brilliant!
Franglais is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:02
chloe_26
Forum Member

My favourite quote of the series has to be "Lets have a cup of Jytte's very bitter coffee" told in a deadpan style and the look on the Theis' (foreign minister) face

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01q6pg9/?t=36m32s
chloe_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:12
solarflare
Forum Member

I can't add any more in terms of praise for the acting, but this series has some wonderful true to life comic touches.
I loved the end of the filming of the tree planting video, just after the "noone plants trees in January" quote Kasper just throws his cups of coffee away. Very green
solarflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:13
chloe_26
Forum Member

I loved the end of the filming of the tree planting video, just after the "noone plants trees in January" quote Kasper just throws his cups of coffee away. Very green
That made me laugh out loud.
chloe_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:14
milliejo
Forum Member

I don't think it has happened to a PM but John Prescott got away with it while DPM.
Also the Late Robin Cook, had an affair with his secretary, then divorced his wife and married his secretary. He stayed on as Foreign Sec.

And David Blunkett also had a tangled affair

And then John Major shagged Edwina Curry, while talking about back to basics family values.
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:19
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Last night was the first time I'd seen this show. I thought it was brilliant, great acting, good story lines, and the emotional scenes were really understated.
I'm not sure if you've watched The Killing or The Bridge but the understated and nuanced acting are part of what many of us like about Nordic drama.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:21
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Lotte described Stine as claiming to be Kasper's girlfriend, so I infer that Stine was Lisa the one he shagged. Unless her surname was mentioned as something else that is.
Stine isn't a surname - there's actually a Nordic first name called Stine. I think it's short for Kristine - or as we would spell it Kristina/Christina.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:23
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

I hope we see more of Lisa.
I doubt we will. Surely she was just a plot device to emphasise Kasper's mental torment (through impulsive behaviour) due to the child abuse storyline. Also of course how he isn't happy in his relationship with Lotte and really wants to be back with Katrine.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:25
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Oh - and big Yay! Sanne's back!!!
Unfortunately I'd known for a couple of weeks that Sanne would be coming back as someone on the Guardian blog ruined it by telling us she'd be in some upcoming eps.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:34
Welsh Witch
Forum Member

DVD.

Quality eps, especially the second - A proper choker although I do find myself asking why are they so fixated on child abuse in these Nordic dramas? Is there an epidemic of it in real-life over there?
The first scandinavian film I ever saw was 'Festen' - although it was a comedy of sorts, one of the characters was abused by his father as a kid....and there was all sorts of other weird shenanigans!

Lukas Moodysson's films are very dark and full of abuse... 'Lilja 4 ever' scarred me for bloody life!
Welsh Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:48
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Lotte described Stine as claiming to be Kasper's girlfriend, so I infer that Stine was Lisa the one he shagged. Unless her surname was mentioned as something else that is.
Stine isn't a surname - there's actually a Nordic first name called Stine. I think it's short for Kristine - or as we would spell it Kristina/Christina.
Stine is a first name. There is someone called Stine in the crew credits at the end. Part of the Kostume crew - all women. The ''Klit'' was played by a Stine as well in Season 1.

Why the call to Stine was cut out in the actual ep is odd. Was the Danish transmission the same. Or has the BBC version been cut for some reason. Kasper says he will see Stine soon in episode 5. Then Lotte gets the Stine call in episode 6. So is Stine another girlfriend on the side. Or maybe Kasper got her to make the call pretending to be his girlfriend. Giving him a way out of his relationship with Lotte. Devious boy our Kasper.
barnsleykeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:00
Verence
Forum Member

In the first of these two episodes, after Amir resigned, I was expecting Birgitte to hold off from announcing her new cabinet until a new Green Party leader was appointed and she had the chance to try and persuade them to stay in the government. I would have thought she would have a good chance of this with a new party leader?
Yes it did seem very odd not to hold off. But Amir always seemed personally close to Birgitte, maybe she knows none of his likely successers would work with her so she cut her losses.
Amir said he was having difficulty selling the deal to the rest of his party so Shrike probably has it right

The only other party on the left seems to be Soldarity, who are equivalent to the real-life Red-Green Alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-Gre...iance_(Denmark)

They would appear to be a bit too left wing for Birgitte and Theis to deal with
Verence is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:05
tealady
Forum Member

Ah, OK. Even more intriguing!
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:28
suesuesue
Forum Member

Am I the only one to let out an involuntary "woop" when Birgitte asked "What's Sanne doing these days?"

One thing that hasnt been mentioned, I dont think Birgitte's failure to pick up the very clear signs that something was wrong with her daughter rang true. The woman has enough emotional intelligence when dealing with her ministers that you'd think she'd realise straight away there was a problem bigger than stroppy teenager syndrome. When she said she didnt want to go to camp and that "they arent my friends" I thought she was being bullied.

Kasper's flashback was painful to watch. When Dad said "my friends want to teach you poker" I was wincing and shouting NO! When he gave him the dagger I thought he might have used it then. It was still a shock when K watched the news video and we learned he had eventually stabbed him. Thought the news cuttings and video was an excellent method of telling his story.

Only 2 weeks to go, it's flown by .... not a huge fan of Spiral (too grim) but I cant wait for The Bridge.
suesuesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:38
Normandie
Forum Member

Did Sanne have a reason for leaving her job in S1? Or was it just a plot device to have a cold, humourless secretary / assistant for the first 4 or 5 episodes - perhaps to enable the daughter storyline to come to a head.

Anyway, having not seen S1 but having seen wistful mentions of Aaaah, Sanne... in this thread, I'm pleased to have met her at last. Is curtseying one of her things?
Normandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:41
Franglais
Forum Member

Unfortunately I'd known for a couple of weeks that Sanne would be coming back as someone on the Guardian blog ruined it by telling us she'd be in some upcoming eps.
Remind me please, why did Sanne leave in the first place?
Franglais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:43
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Did Sanne have a reason for leaving her job in S1? Or was it just a plot device to have a cold, humourless secretary / assistant for the first 4 or 5 episodes - perhaps to enable the daughter storyline to come to a head.

Anyway, having not seen S1 but having seen wistful mentions of Aaaah, Sanne... in this thread, I'm pleased to have met her at last. Is curtseying one of her things?
In season 1 Sanne was incompetent. She was moved around various ministries and ended up being dumped on Brigitte when she took office. In the end Niels Erik told Brigitte he had found an excuse to get rid of her. Sanne was very good with Magnus and Laura though. She took good care of them and they liked her. The main reason Brigitte wanted her back I think.

It was a running jike throughout season 1 with Brigitte saying have you got a way to get rid of her to Niels Erik. He would just say the unions are resisting her dismissal. In real life the actress went to another show - Those Who Kill. Don't know if this is why she left Borgen or whether the Sanne story was planned like this all along?
Old 20-01-2013, 16:45
Welsh Witch
Forum Member

I'm not sure if you've watched The Killing or The Bridge but the understated and nuanced acting are part of what many of us like about Nordic drama.
I haven't, no. But I'll definitely check them out. Thanks
Welsh Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:46
saralund
Forum Member

Yes. She was muddled, forgot appointments,confused the PM with royalty, but was also warm-hearted and kind of innocent. She was a little like Birgitte in the early days.
saralund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:50
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Kasper tried it on with Sanne as well. But Niels Erik caught them just as they were about to get nekked. So it didn't happen.

Niels Erik told Kasper not to shit where you eat. Or rather that's what the subs said he said?
Old 20-01-2013, 16:56
Shrike
Forum Member

..Anyway, having not seen S1 but having seen wistful mentions of Aaaah, Sanne... in this thread, I'm pleased to have met her at last. Is curtseying one of her things?
Yes - when she left her first meeting with Birgitte, Birgitte turned incredulously to Niels Erik and asked "Did she just curtsy?!"

As I recall Sanne finally got the push after her tryst with Kasper - rather unfair but I suppose Niels couldn't sack Kasper.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:59
striing
Forum Member

Remind me please, why did Sanne leave in the first place?
PM got rid of her because she's a bit incompetent. And I think Kasper helped make sure she got the push because he was about to have something more than a professional relationship with her when someone walked in. Unless I'm making that up.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:02
Normandie
Forum Member

Thanks, all, for explaining Sanne's background - it's appreciated.
Normandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:07
barnsleykeith
Forum Member

Thanks, all, for explaining Sanne's background - it's appreciated.
Birgitte went on an official trip to Greenland. Sanne won the office lottery and went with her. On the return flight Brigitte was a little upset because she had forgotten to get the kids presents. Sanne had thought of this so had bought the children a couple of nice gifts. Showed Sanne is a caring person at heart. She was just useless at the secretary lark. Maybe she has gotten better while she was away?
Old 20-01-2013, 17:07
Shrike
Forum Member

PM got rid of her because she's a bit incompetent. And I think Kasper helped make sure she got the push because he was about to have something more than a professional relationship with her when someone walked in. Unless I'm making that up.
I'm pretty sure Niels got rid of her. Birgitte had frequently asked for her to be replaced early in the series, but by the end she had warmed to Sanne and didn't want her to go.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote