Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Old 06-02-2013, 13:44
Andy-B
Forum Member

Agreed. As you say, it seemed to me that Birgitte isn't even aware that Philip has feelings for her again; there was nothing to signpost that she's aware of that. Moreover it will take rather a lot more for Birgitte to accept Philip back than him just holding her hand, or trying to hold it - that's if they even do get back together! Birgitte is annoyed at his weakness - she explicitly told him that he left the family too soon. She's an alpha female and has a lot of inner strength rather than being a Stepford wife type; she isn't just going to accept him back - 'once bitten' and all that.
She's already made it clear - the last time was when someone said it wasn't like her to give up and the next time she saw Philip she went into that prepared speech about growing old together. He didn't bite that time and so she backed off for a while.

It's not exactly a secret she wants him back - she didn't even want to sign the divorce papers.

The next stage of the game - now she knows he want to come back - is to play hard to get, but not too hard.

This is not exactly unfamiliar territory in the great game between the sexes.
Andy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2013, 13:59
KennyT
Forum Member

Are these good figures? I always watch it on catch up. I love Borgen!
Started off comparable to TKIII but has fallen away - whereas TKIII was more consistent:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...postcount=2415

K
KennyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:03
vinegar vera
Forum Member

Started off comparable to TKIII but has fallen away - whereas TKIII was more consistent:

K
I'd guess that the BBC were just about satisfied with the ratings but I guess that Montalbano was cheaper to buy and got just as many viewers without as many trailers over Xmas and New Year.
It did not help that the whole series had been available on DVD for over a year as well (the Danish official release with English subtitles).
I have heard of no firm commitment to buying series 3, which is quite different to series 1 and 2 and features far less Pilou Asbæk and lots of new characters. The only source of info relating to the screening of series 3 is the Radio Times which is now a magazine independent of the BBC and claimed in autumn 2012 that B3 would be on screen in autumn 2013. RT now suggests January 2014. I actually doubt whether the BBC have even made up their minds yet to buy it. It all depends on the price that DR and the BBC can negotiate. Unlike The Killing which is sold via a German distributor ZDF Enterprises, Borgen is sold to the BBC direct from DR.
As I expected the ratings for ep 8 were dreadful, when I rewatch the two series maybe later in the year, I will be skipping eps 7 and 8 of series 2.
vinegar vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:09
Andy-B
Forum Member

S3 would have been made with the BBC in mind. It's the shows biggest export market. Hence the refs to the BBC and cross over political issues with Britain in S2.
Andy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:17
vinegar vera
Forum Member

S3 would have been made with the BBC in mind. It's the shows biggest export market. Hence the refs to the BBC and cross over political issues with Britain in S2.
I doubt that B3 would have been made with the BBC in mind considering that DR agreed to make s3 before BBC had even purchased s1 in June 2011. S3 was made from late 2011 to the end of 2012.

DR would have had solely their domestic audience in mind when deciding whether to go ahead with s3 and in the making of it.
Borgen has sold to over 57 states and territories, one being the UK.

With The Killing, DR revealed that the sale of it and the success of it on the BBC certainly was very beneficial to further overseas sales. I guess the same applies to Borgen to some extent as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 15:29
babspanky
Forum Member

K
Thanks. I think The Killing had a lot more press though.
Borgen is just as absorbing and you get to really care about the characters.
And I don't like Montalbano myself. I was cheesed off when I saw what a long run it had.
babspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 22:38
samwalk
Forum Member

So the US DOES show foreign language shows as well as re-make them? Has Borgen been a success in the US and is it shown in Canada as well?
Yes but not on prime channels. Difficult enough following the plot without having to read as well.

This is one of my bugbears, ... someone from the Telegraph as well I think) went blah-blah-blah about it being such a riproaring success because the main character was a good strong independent female..
Exactly, the gender politics is interesting but it is only a fraction of the story.

Bit of a sickly-sweet ending with the daughter getting better and the family being re-united, but enjoyed it as a whole. Don't know if I'll stick with it for another series though......
But they aren't. Her daughter is not better, just less bad and even if she gets back with her husband the split and near divorce will be in the background. The marriage will be like a broken vase glued back together - not as strong and the cracks will be visible.

I'd guess that the BBC were just about satisfied with the ratings but I guess that Montalbano was cheaper to buy
Like both but they aren't the same. There is nothing dark in Monty even when the Mafia are leaving dead horses in the bath or dropping his team down wells. It's bright sunshine, boats bobbing on the sea, romance and pasta. Scandi drama is overcast skies even in summer.
samwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 23:47
OffTheCuff
Forum Member

I read somewhere that NBC is to remake a version of Borgen set in the US. I struggling to get my head around how it will work, given a large part of the storyline is based on the nuance of parliamentary politics.
OffTheCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 23:59
gomezz
Forum Member

At a guess they will pull out the journalist / spin doctor relationship and throw the rest away.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 00:12
vinegar vera
Forum Member

I read somewhere that NBC is to remake a version of Borgen set in the US. I struggling to get my head around how it will work, given a large part of the storyline is based on the nuance of parliamentary politics.
This was considered in 2011, but NBC passed on the idea last year. UK media seem to keep on reporting this as if it is current, I suppose it adds something to an article.
Old 07-02-2013, 00:12
striing
Forum Member

How many times - S2 was made long before Denmark knew we'd even see it here.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 00:40
vinegar vera
Forum Member

How many times - S2 was made long before Denmark knew we'd even see it here.
That's right. S2 was made between July 2010 and Sept 2011 with airdates between Sept and Nov 2011. The BBC did not even purchase S1 until June 2011 http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...6/borgen.shtml

S3 was made between Nov 2011 and Jan 2013 with airdates Jan - Mar 2013.
Old 07-02-2013, 20:39
Franglais
Forum Member

by force of habit I'll be sat in my armchair this Saturday evening at 9pm with the TV tuned to BBC4.

Oh, the withdrawal symptoms.......such a void......is there a cure...?
Franglais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:29
Starpuss
Forum Member

by force of habit I'll be sat in my armchair this Saturday evening at 9pm with the TV tuned to BBC4.

I'm visiting Denmark in a couple of weeks. That usually works for me
Starpuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 00:33
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Not keen on Spiral then? That starts at 9pm this Sat on BBC4.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:02
david1955
Forum Member

I'm not sure if I've seen Spiral before . I only discovered the BBC4 Saturday night slot about 15 months ago . Has it been on in that period.
david1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54
SomeRandom
Forum Member

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l_ds-CD9yt...engrenages.jpg

Look familiar?
SomeRandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17
striing
Forum Member

I'm not sure if I've seen Spiral before . I only discovered the BBC4 Saturday night slot about 15 months ago . Has it been on in that period.
I think Spiral was the first subbed crime show on BBC4. I watched series 1 and 2 but then stopped. It's very good but also very gory - and in the end I gave up on the gore. I think the head fell off a decomposing body onto the floor out the back of a car or something in series 2 and that was enough for me. I really only got hooked because the Judge reminds me of Dmitri Hvorostovsky anyway. (Someone out there will know what I mean. )
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

@david1955 - Hmm repeats probably have been but apparently series 3 starting airing on BBC4 in April 2011. I started watching when series 3 was aired and then went back and watched series 1 and 2 when BBC4 repeated them. It took me a while to get into series 3 - maybe a few eps - but then I was hooked. The French police are portrayed as more violent than their Nordic counterparts and it's true that it's more gruesome at times but I think it's a well-written show - very addictive. And one of the best 'bitch' characters I've seen for a while: the lawyer, Joséphine Karlsson.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:48
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

The next stage of the game - now she knows he want to come back - is to play hard to get, but not too hard.

This is not exactly unfamiliar territory in the great game between the sexes.
Thanks for the lecture and the explanation about how relations between the sexes work. FYI: I never implied that she was never going to take him back; I meant that she wouldn't make it easy if she was aware that he wanted to come back. Where we differ is that you believe it has been shown that Birgitte's aware that Philip wants to come back and 'Nihonga' and me don't agree with that theory. She does not realise that he has feelings for her at the moment - that was not signposted in the ep. I do however remain unconvinced that the writer is going to get them back together in series 3 to be honest. I think it might be too sickly sweet soap-like crap and Scandis don't seem to like happy endings in their dramas; although on the other hand Borgen is far more soapy than the other Nordic stuff I've watched.
Old 08-02-2013, 17:58
chloe_26
Forum Member

There are some great photos of Sidse in her tartan outfit on the Borgen UK Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/BorgenUK

Think I'll join the queue
chloe_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 18:50
Verence
Forum Member

There are some great photos of Sidse in her tartan outfit on the Borgen UK Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/BorgenUK

Think I'll join the queue
Is she auditioning for a Danish Bay City Rollers tribute band??
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 13:53
KennyT
Forum Member

Officials (no HD):
1 BORGEN (SAT 2101) 869
2 BORGEN (SAT 2201) 857

Final table:

Overnights:
e1 1.08m (inc HD)
e2 852k (inc HD)
e3 754k (inc HD)
e4 653k (inc HD)
e5 787k (no HD)
e6 683k (no HD)
e7 695k (inc HD)
e8 573k (inc HD)
e9 674k (no HD)
e10 623k (no HD)

Officials:
e1 1.33m (inc HD)
e2 1.12m (inc HD)
e3 1.01m (inc HD)
e4 907k (inc HD)
e5 972k (no HD)
e6 916k (no HD)
e7 939k (no HD)
e8 807k (no HD)
e9 869k (no HD)
e10 857k (no HD)

K
KennyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 14:52
lilirose
Forum Member

Here are some pics from season three. For those who want to avoid spoilers be mindful that the article has some spoilers but very little and not anything that is not already understood from the opening theme of Series 3.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...MywtiecK8Nqnxg
lilirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 02:32
vinegar vera
Forum Member

From P32 (Ratings Mon 28 Jan - Sun 3 Feb) of February 15 edition of Broadcast magazine

"BBC - BORGEN. BBC4's Borgen ended on Saturday with the 9pm episode (980,000 / 4%, 247,000 via PVR) ahead of the 10pm finale (964,000 / 5%, 293,000 via PVR). The 2013 series averaged 1 million / 4% (incl 105,000 on BBC HD). The 2012 series averaged 720,000 / 3% (just 39,000 on BBC HD)." by Stephen Price.