Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Getting my Nexus 7 wifi-only to recognise my 3g USB dongle

Old 01-01-2013, 13:14
TonyOther
Inactive Member

I have a Nexus 7 wifi-only. I also have a 3 3g dongle which works just fine on my laptop etc. Before getting this Nexus, I had a Momo Ployer IPS which was configured to use the dongle - there was a list of supported dongles of which mine, a Huawei dongle, was one. However, the Momo was not as good as I wanted so I sold it and got the Nexus instead.

I attached the dongle (via and adaptor), but I had no joy. My question is: is there any way I could unlock 3g capabilty on my wifi-only Nexus so that it will recognise the dongle, or does the 3g-capable Nexus have additional hardware to make a 3g connection possible. I am runnining Androide 4.2.1. Any suggstions and advice most welcome.
TonyOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-01-2013, 13:54
psionic
Forum Member

Depends on your dongle. But some people have apparently had success with some software called PPP Widget.
Not tried it personally though, as I just tether to my smartphone when not near WiFi.
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36
Jupiter5
Forum Member

There is a very good 3G dongle that will easily connect to a Nexus 7. In fact, the connection is via wireless so no cables required and no other complications because the Nexus thinks it is using regular wifi.
The dongle in question is called a MiFi and is marketed by Three. I recommend the Pay-as-you-go option, and you can buy relatively cheap top-up SIMs from Amazon or eBay. (Topup cost is around 12 for 3 months validity).
Look for Mifi model E5331 or E585 in PC World, Amazon etc (manufacturer is Huawei).
There is a BONUS because the MiFi will also allow its wifi signal to connect to 4 additional devices at the same time, so your laptop, ipod etc can also benefit from instant internet wherever you are.
Jupiter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 22:15
JayPee86
Inactive Member

There is a very good 3G dongle that will easily connect to a Nexus 7. In fact, the connection is via wireless so no cables required and no other complications because the Nexus thinks it is using regular wifi.
The dongle in question is called a MiFi and is marketed by Three. I recommend the Pay-as-you-go option, and you can buy relatively cheap top-up SIMs from Amazon or eBay. (Topup cost is around 12 for 3 months validity).
Look for Mifi model E5331 or E585 in PC World, Amazon etc (manufacturer is Huawei).
There is a BONUS because the MiFi will also allow its wifi signal to connect to 4 additional devices at the same time, so your laptop, ipod etc can also benefit from instant internet wherever you are.
So I wanted to get a nexus 7 with 3g. Will this be the answer to my prayers ?
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 00:03
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

So I wanted to get a nexus 7 with 3g. Will this be the answer to my prayers ?
If you already own a smartphone then there is a good chance you can use the facility on it to create a hotspot and simply use the wireless connection on the tablet.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:10
MeicY
Forum Member

Nexus 7 doesn't really like ad-hoc WIFI although I have got it to work on other Android phones.

For use with my Nokia E5 it's simpler to just Bluetooth tether it using BlueVPN.
MeicY is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:39
TonyOther
Inactive Member

I can confirm that PPP Widget works a treat with my 3 USB dongle. The only hurdle was that the Nexus had to be unlocked for the PPP Widget to work, but I managed it and now it works a treat on 3G.
TonyOther is offline   Reply With Quote