Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Athletics 2013

Old 02-04-2013, 17:43
Mandark
Forum Member

I see Bolt's in good form. 14.42s for 150m straight in Rio. Only 0.07s outside his record but he looked pretty casual running it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21989409
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-04-2013, 17:48
Mandark
Forum Member

I know a lot of people his age will be similar but I'm sure those who are ultimately successful in elite sports will have a very different mindset to your average 20/21 year old.

On the positive side maybe he will be like Darren Campbell who dropped out of athletics for a couple of years in his early 20s to play semi pro football but was then successful when he came back. Granted though semi pro football is nowhere near as demanding on the body as NFL.
I don't think he'll make it. Hardly any Brits ever make the NFL. It's as bad as baseball. The sport we're likely to do best in is Basketball because you can be well coached in it in this country from a young age.
Old 02-04-2013, 18:22
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I wonder if he's asked Dwain for any pointers
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:22
Frood
Inactive Member

It's definitely a big risk. Of course he could set himself up for life financially if it works out but it won't be easy. He will be fighting for contracts against people who have been playing the sport since they were kids.

Even if he does come back to athletics at some point every year away will be a year not spent working on his technique so he could potentially be risking future success in the discus also. As it is he only started throwing seriously relatively late on after he didn't get a pro rugby contract.

I found this comment piece from his local newspaper in Coydon interesting as it brings up the widespread PED culture within the NFL which is obviously a route we wouldn't want him to go down either.

http://insidecroydon.com/2013/04/01/...be-a-dead-end/

I wish him well but fear he may be making a mistake. Still if his heart is not in athletics there's not a lot you can do.
I suspect he'll find out quite quickly that he won't make it.

He won't be an exceptional physical specimen at defensive end (the position which I suspect he is being projected). It will take him a long time to learn the techniques, tactics and other things that players who were brought up in the game still have to work at.

A recent Junior World discus champion, Margus Hunt, will be in the NFL Draft later this month. Even with 3 years College experience he is considered a long shot to play in the League.

Part of the interest may have come because of his family name. His uncle Christian was a devestating running back some years ago - but had a short career due to knee problems.
Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:24
grassmarket
Forum Member

Spring Marathon season starts up on Sunday morning - Paris Marathon on Eurosport starting at 07:30.
grassmarket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49
Mandark
Forum Member

Spring Marathon season starts up on Sunday morning - Paris Marathon on Eurosport starting at 07:30.
Thanks for heads up. Caught end of tHe race. Good win by Ndiema in the men's race. Commentators correctly disputed the use of pacemakers in the women's. Good win for the woman though.
Old 07-04-2013, 14:12
Tiger Rose
Forum Member

Greg Rutherford beat Mitchell Watt again in a competition down under jumping 8.10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22051898
Tiger Rose is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 21:12
Evo102
Forum Member

Big Lawrence appears to have impressed at the Super Regional Combine's today.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/04/07/lawr...medium=twitter

Talk that he may be drafted rather than joining a team as a free agent.
Evo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 22:40
Mark F
Forum Member

Greg Rutherford beat Mitchell Watt again in a competition down under jumping 8.10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22051898
Hopefully the amazing gold will help him become a world force (fitness key ofcourse)
Mark F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:18
Tiger Rose
Forum Member

Hopefully the amazing gold will help him become a world force (fitness key ofcourse)
8.10 is not a bad effort at this time of year, especially when you consider that he had an operation in the autumn so has only been training properly since the start of the year.

Will be interesting to see if the Long Jump improves over the next few years from it's recent slump in standards. Whatever happens there though I hope Greg can jump 8.40-8.50+ in the next couple of years.
Old 15-04-2013, 21:16
Jo09
Forum Member

Does anyone know how much the tickets to the anniversary games will cost?
Jo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 22:52
tvqueen1905
Forum Member

Does anyone know how much the tickets to the anniversary games will cost?
13-210
tvqueen1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 22:53
Jo09
Forum Member

Thanks
Old 17-04-2013, 19:07
QwertyGirl1771
Forum Member

Just want to add my congratulations to young athlete Desiree Henry who won last nights Student of the Year at college. She was one of the young athletes selected by Daley Thompson last year to light the Olympic couldren. Her parents were there to collect her certificate for her and I had a little tear in my eye as they looked so proud.
QwertyGirl1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 23:06
boyblue1
Forum Member

Hi there

Anybody successful in getting tickets for the Anniversary Games today? I was able to get some as we had previously bought tickets for the meet at Crystal Palace which was cancelled. Very excited! We are going on the Friday and the schedule looks very good.
boyblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 23:11
Jo09
Forum Member

Hi there

Anybody successful in getting tickets for the Anniversary Games today? I was able to get some as we had previously bought tickets for the meet at Crystal Palace which was cancelled. Very excited! We are going on the Friday and the schedule looks very good.
Tickets are not available until Friday.
Old 21-04-2013, 12:09
Zac Quinn
Forum Member

Got two tickets to the Saturday. Taking my dad with me to see Mo, Usain and Jess for a total 110 quid, he hasn't shut up about how disappointed he was not to get any tickets for London 2012 in about 18 months so it'll be a lovely Father's Day present for him.

The able-bodied Diamond League part of the event sold out in 75 minutes - is that a record?
Zac Quinn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 21:31
Tiger Rose
Forum Member

Did anyone listen to the Record Fakers on 5 Live earlier? It was fascinating stuff investigating the East German doping regime of the 70s & 80s - I would recommend you catch it on i-player or download the podcast if you missed it. Big thumbs up to Mike Costello for some great journalism too - 5 Live should do more of this & less phone ins on Suarez

Really interesting to hear how it affects lives all these years on from the health & wellbeing of the East German athletes to how those who potentially missed out on medals & titles feel.

There was also discussion on whether the records should be erased & how it's affecting the sport today e.g. women's athletics can't be promoted as much as so many world records are seen as out of reach.
Old 24-04-2013, 22:34
Chris1964
Forum Member

Did anyone listen to the Record Fakers on 5 Live earlier? It was fascinating stuff investigating the East German doping regime of the 70s & 80s - I would recommend you catch it on i-player or download the podcast if you missed it. Big thumbs up to Mike Costello for some great journalism too - 5 Live should do more of this & less phone ins on Suarez

Really interesting to hear how it affects lives all these years on from the health & wellbeing of the East German athletes to how those who potentially missed out on medals & titles feel.

There was also discussion on whether the records should be erased & how it's affecting the sport today e.g. women's athletics can't be promoted as much as so many world records are seen as out of reach.
Yes I got hooked and listened to it all. Fascinating stuff.

No movement at all on record erasure though, and it would seem unlikely it will be revisited anytime soon. Although Marita Kochs record 400 metres in particular is so far ahead of the game that unless something remarkable occurs, it will be staring out of tv screens at major championships for many years to come.

Felt particularly sorry for some the British athletes of the era featured who were hard working, unheralded and largely unsponsored. Kathy Smallwood/Cook was well known but she would have been a huge star today.
Chris1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 00:16
Tiger Rose
Forum Member

Yes I got hooked and listened to it all. Fascinating stuff.

No movement at all on record erasure though, and it would seem unlikely it will be revisited anytime soon. Although Marita Kochs record 400 metres in particular is so far ahead of the game that unless something remarkable occurs, it will be staring out of tv screens at major championships for many years to come.

Felt particularly sorry for some the British athletes of the era featured who were hard working, unheralded and largely unsponsored. Kathy Smallwood/Cook was well known but she would have been a huge star today.
Of course expunging the East German records is only part of the problem as it would still leave plenty of 'dodgy' records on the books. If Koch were stripped of her record then it would simply pass to Kratochvilova.
Old 25-04-2013, 09:12
grassmarket
Forum Member

Of course expunging the East German records is only part of the problem as it would still leave plenty of 'dodgy' records on the books. If Koch were stripped of her record then it would simply pass to Kratochvilova.
Yeah, but there is no excuse for not erasing the East German ones. The Krathochvilova, Flo-Jo and Chinese turtle blood records may be dodgy, but there is absolutely solid proof that the DDR ones were doped, and in fact, people have already been tried and condemned in Court on that evidence.
Old 25-04-2013, 12:58
Tiger Rose
Forum Member

Yeah, but there is no excuse for not erasing the East German ones. The Krathochvilova, Flo-Jo and Chinese turtle blood records may be dodgy, but there is absolutely solid proof that the DDR ones were doped, and in fact, people have already been tried and condemned in Court on that evidence.
If they were going to do it they would have done it a long time ago - in fact nowadays if you just removed the GDR records you'd be removing Koch's 400m and the Men's & Women's discus and that's it.
Old 25-04-2013, 13:41
grassmarket
Forum Member

If they were going to do it they would have done it a long time ago - in fact nowadays if you just removed the GDR records you'd be removing Koch's 400m and the Men's & Women's discus and that's it.
I think the women's 4x400 as well - the 4x100 went at London.
Old 25-04-2013, 18:20
Tiger Rose
Forum Member

I think the women's 4x400 as well - the 4x100 went at London.
According to Wiki the Soviet Union hold the 4x4 record
Old 28-04-2013, 21:46
grassmarket
Forum Member

ESPN America had coverage of the Drake Relays meet from Des Moines today - it's repeated tomorrow morning at 09:30