Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Wild guess on what the Great Intelligence is

Old 01-01-2013, 18:00
Cel1084
Forum Member

Okay so back to the Dream lord episode at we have the Psychic Pollen getting in to the Tardis and bringing the doctors dark side out, The Psychic snow seems to be quite similar and with the Doctor even thinking it is just a projection of the guys subconsciousness which it initially was until something stronger took over. I think I remember some of the Pollen being left on the Tardis.. So there are a lot of holes here but could the Great Intelligence but the dream lord trying to gain corporeality? First with the pollen in the Tardis then with the snow. My guess since it seems like the doctor stuck around that time for quite awhile is he arrived about the same time as the snow gain a voice.
Cel1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:14
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

The Great Intelligence is a formless being whose main aim is to gain a permanent physical body. It is thought to be related to the Nestene Consciousness, and comes from before the beginning of this universe -- (see the tardis wikia for more info -- comes from non canon novels etc but is a much better theory.)

The living snow reflected Simeon's thoughts. The Intelligence used this to latch onto Simeon's mind. If it had not done so, the Intelligence would have nothing to do with the snow.

There's a lot of fans linking stuff in to random villains etc returning these days. Is the Dream Lord the new series equivalent of the Rani in this way?

I love the Dream Lord, but think one memorable appearance is enough. Look at the Zygons, still remembered after 1 appearance
davrosdodebird is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:58
Verence
Forum Member

Is it possible the Dream Lord could return and become the Valeyard??
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 22:19
LivingDestiny
Forum Member

I think people look too far into stand alone episodes like Amy's Choice... A stab in the dark is that The Great Intelligance already know the answer to the question OR they know the name of everyone in the universe apart from the Doctor, hence Doctor Who?
LivingDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46
nanscombe
Forum Member

How's this for a stab in the dark?

The Great Intelligence is ... "Prisoner 0"

The whole of Doctor Who had been an invention, a story told by Prisoner 0 in the mode of the story teller in Don Quixote, originally titled "The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha".

(Ingenious Gentleman = Clever Boy?)

Don Quixote, the story of a gallant Knight travelling around defending people, righting wrongs etc?

"Silence will fall when the oldest question in the Universe is asked"

A complete guess

Spoiler
nanscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25
nanscombe
Forum Member

Just been playing some more ...

Spoiler
nanscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52
GDK
Forum Member

The Great Intelligence is a formless being whose main aim is to gain a permanent physical body. It is thought to be related to the Nestene Consciousness, and comes from before the beginning of this universe -- (see the tardis wikia for more info -- comes from non canon novels etc but is a much better theory.)

The living snow reflected Simeon's thoughts. The Intelligence used this to latch onto Simeon's mind. If it had not done so, the Intelligence would have nothing to do with the snow.

There's a lot of fans linking stuff in to random villains etc returning these days. Is the Dream Lord the new series equivalent of the Rani in this way?

I love the Dream Lord, but think one memorable appearance is enough. Look at the Zygons, still remembered after 1 appearance
My suspicion (only my suggestion/speculation so I won't spoiler tag it) is the Great Intelligence is the Master in non-corporeal form. Their modus operandi seem very similar to me.
GDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:06
tomwozhere
Forum Member

How's this for a stab in the dark?

The Great Intelligence is ... "Prisoner 0"

The whole of Doctor Who had been an invention, a story told by Prisoner 0 in the mode of the story teller in Don Quixote, originally titled "The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha".

(Ingenious Gentleman = Clever Boy?)

Don Quixote, the story of a gallant Knight travelling around defending people, righting wrongs etc?

"Silence will fall when the oldest question in the Universe is asked"

A complete guess

Spoiler
I hope not
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:13
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

Just been playing some more ...

Spoiler
Spoiler

I see in this appearance of the Great Intelligence only a nice nostalgic link to Season 5, explicitly telegraphed by Jenny and Vastra's sarky comments about how stupid it is to think it can take over the world with snowmen or that the London Underground is a tactical weakness. There's no real evidence of a link to any other entity in the revived series (although in early drafts of The Doctor's Wife script there were hints that House was the Great Intelligence).

Assuming the Intelligence is not a time traveller, this is probably the first time it meets the Doctor, whereas the Doctor last met the Intelligence so long ago in his timeline that he can hardly remember it.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:39
darthbibble
Forum Member

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
darthbibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:43
Mulett
Forum Member

Anyone have a guess as to why the Doctor seemed to struggle to remember the Great Intelligence?
Mulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:47
darthbibble
Forum Member

Anyone have a guess as to why the Doctor seemed to struggle to remember the Great Intelligence?
because for him it was about 750 years ago?
darthbibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:53
Mulett
Forum Member

because for him it was about 750 years ago?
I did wonder if it was as simple as that.

But Moffat doesn't ever seem to put in anything for simple reasons so I did wonder if it was part of something greater . . the Doctor losing his marbles/memory and Oswin having something to do with the cure.
Mulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 14:11
Webslark
Forum Member

The Great Intelligence is in fact the Rani.

After all, it is an anagram for

Rani, tingle, glee, etc
Webslark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:31
daveyboy7472
Forum Member

For me, that is what The Great Intelligence is, this formless entity who roams around in space looking to invade using whatever methods it can. I don't see it being linked to any other villain especially from the New Series. It is what it is, don't see why it needs to be connected to anything else.

daveyboy7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:41
Cel1084
Forum Member

So your saying the Great intelligence is Winston Churchill, Brilliant!
Cel1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:01
sandydune
Forum Member

The Great Intelligence could be a Librarian, a Professor or a Doctor, or possibly all three. Power of Three and all that.
sandydune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26
The Alpha Gamer
Forum Member

The Great Intelligence is a formless being whose main aim is to gain a permanent physical body.
Haven't seen any Classic Who since I was little so I might be wrong, but doesn't that make him Omega?
The Alpha Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37
Evil Genius
Forum Member

Exactly.
Evil Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 23:20
smithers3162
Forum Member

The Great Intelligence was the controlling force behind the 60s enemies The Yeti - I don't think there's anything more to it than that. It was a nice little nod to the past for fans, which as usual is being built into some much greater mystery. I don't think we'll be seeing it again in the forseeable future.
smithers3162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21
tomwozhere
Forum Member

I think the GI will be back.
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32
tscchope
Forum Member

Why didn't Torchwood take an interest in the Great Intelligence and Dr Simeon's Institute and in Madame Vestra?

Last time the Doctor met the great Intelligence, it controlled Yeti and any presence of the Yeti ion the London Underground in 1967 would be a clear indication that the Great Intelligence is back and why UNIT was formed in the first place.
tscchope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 19:05
hartnellchrono
Forum Member

The doctor inadvertently set up the premise for the second doctor serial 'the web of fear' by showing the great intelligence the map of the underground and saying it is a strategic weak point, hence its attempted invasion in 1967 with the yeti, the episode was what it was the first nod back to doctor who's past for the 50th anniversary
hartnellchrono is offline   Reply With Quote