Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Old 09-02-2013, 15:12
molliepops
Forum Member

Hey peeps. Lost half a stone since I first dipped into the thread but I seem to have stagnated for the last couple of weeks. I train 4 times a week, HIIT and weights and stick to 1200 cals a day as per my fitness pal, but my weight loss seems to have stopped. I can see my body shape changing and becoming more toned, but I wish the pounds would reflect this too. Can anyone suggest a way to speed things up?

Well done to everyone else on their weight loss!!! X
Either eat more calories for a while or less. Less should work but isn't recommended by MFP, more should help make your metabolism work according to many.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

I would imagine since you're doing weights that you're still burning fat but the gain in muscle is why you're not actually losing weight on the scales. I wouldn't worry too much if that is the case.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I think you may be right, I only have a stone or so to lose anyway, so imagine its slower than someone that has to lose quite a bit.
Just_Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

Either eat more calories for a while or less. Less should work but isn't recommended by MFP, more should help make your metabolism work according to many.
I've heard this too, but I'm a bit frightened that if I eat more it will have the reverse effect, lol.
Old 09-02-2013, 16:05
Agent F
Forum Member

I've heard this too, but I'm a bit frightened that if I eat more it will have the reverse effect, lol.
You could have a cheat day. I have one each week where I go above my calorie limit and I'm still losing weight. I appreciate everyone's body works differently but I do think it helps my metabolism.
Agent F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:08
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

You could have a cheat day. I have one each week where I go above my calorie limit and I'm still losing weight. I appreciate everyone's body works differently but I do think it helps my metabolism.
Hey, I already have a cheat day once a week where I have whatever I want dinner.
Old 09-02-2013, 16:13
Agent F
Forum Member

Hey, I already have a cheat day once a week where I have whatever I want dinner.
Ah ok. I still think you should be ok doing what you're doing at the moment. I wouldn't eat any less than what you're eating anyway.
Agent F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:26
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

Ah ok. I still think you should be ok doing what you're doing at the moment. I wouldn't eat any less than what you're eating anyway.
Yes, I'm reluctant to go less as I have quite busy and active days so need the fuel. I normally eat porridge for breakfast, than maybe a banana for snack if I get hungry before lunch, then my lunch which could be a sald with chicken or tuna, then maybe an apple or something for a snack and then my dinner, which again is focused around lean protein and veg rather than carbs.
Old 09-02-2013, 18:44
striing
Forum Member

Hey peeps. Lost half a stone since I first dipped into the thread but I seem to have stagnated for the last couple of weeks. I train 4 times a week, HIIT and weights and stick to 1200 cals a day as per my fitness pal, but my weight loss seems to have stopped. I can see my body shape changing and becoming more toned, but I wish the pounds would reflect this too. Can anyone suggest a way to speed things up?

Well done to everyone else on their weight loss!!! X
Are you actually a stone overweight? Or are you in your healthy weight range and trying to be even more in it?

Also, is it possible you're putting on muscle if you're training 4 times a week?
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 19:28
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

82.5kg today, down from 83kg last week. But since I was feeling thirsty when I weighed and I've had a drink since, I'm going to count that as a hold. 0.5kg (a bit under a pound) in a week would be my ideal weightloss speed I think, but I suspect I've cheated slightly in terms of not drinking much today

It feels as if I'm starting to enjoy my food more now that I'm eating less of it. I have plain marmite sandwiches today, albeit made from seeded bread, and they taste very fine indeed.

I think I need to be more careful with calories this week so that I continue down towards my goal of 80kg. It's close enough now that it shouldn't take long to get there. Then I can work out what to do next.

Congratulations to Steff and Kyresa.
Thankyou very much!!
Steff_Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 19:30
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

Are you actually a stone overweight? Or are you in your healthy weight range and trying to be even more in it?

Also, is it possible you're putting on muscle if you're training 4 times a week?
Hey. I'm just in the healthy BMI range, so not overweight as such, but I would feel far more comfortable a stone lighter.
Old 09-02-2013, 19:33
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

I have a couple of questions guys,

First is about the fast diet, ive heard really mixed reviews about it, but i want to know if it actually does work!?

And second question, mainly to anyone doing weightwatchers, i eat quite alot of pasta, but always point it so im within my daily points allowance, but ppl tell me i eat pasta way too often, could this be affecting or slowing down my weight loss even if i am keeping within my points!?
Old 09-02-2013, 20:07
striing
Forum Member

Hey. I'm just in the healthy BMI range, so not overweight as such, but I would feel far more comfortable a stone lighter.
So given you're not overweight and can see your body shape changing then perhaps you are building muscle?

I expect you'll lose a bit more eventually but it'll take time - perhaps you're the weight you're supposed to be? You could ask the nutritionist at your GP surgery for advice if you think you should be a bit less?

And second question, mainly to anyone doing weightwatchers, i eat quite alot of pasta, but always point it so im within my daily points allowance, but ppl tell me i eat pasta way too often, could this be affecting or slowing down my weight loss even if i am keeping within my points!?
I'm doing weight watchers and I was a bit surprised at first at how little pasta you get for the points compared to say, rice. I recall you're another one who only has a small amount to lose so perhaps at that stage it is a bit of a waste of points to have pasta a lot? In theory, if you're within your points it shouldn't make a difference - but if you're near goal maybe it does?
Old 09-02-2013, 20:12
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

Striing i have a little over a stone to lose.
Old 09-02-2013, 20:14
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

So given you're not overweight and can see your body shape changing then perhaps you are building muscle?

I expect you'll lose a bit more eventually but it'll take time - perhaps you're the weight you're supposed to be? You could ask the nutritionist at your GP surgery for advice if you think you should be a bit less?

I'm doing weight watchers and I was a bit surprised at first at how little pasta you get for the points compared to say, rice. I recall you're another one who only has a small amount to lose so perhaps at that stage it is a bit of a waste of points to have pasta a lot? In theory, if you're within your points it shouldn't make a difference - but if you're near goal maybe it does?
I had some tests done at the docs last year and my thyroid and everything is fine so it's not that. I'll just put it down to muscle mass I guess!
Old 09-02-2013, 20:54
striing
Forum Member

I had some tests done at the docs last year and my thyroid and everything is fine so it's not that. I'll just put it down to muscle mass I guess!
Oh I didn't mean tests to see if there's anything wrong with you. Just advice on how to lose weight from a nutritionist when you're within a healthy BMI, especially given that you've already identified that cutting more calories isn't a good move. They would be able to advise on what food is the best for you to eat and/or avoid to get to where you want to get to. No stranger on a forum can do that as it's not as simple as 'eat less - move more' when you're already doing that and aren't overweight!

Striing i have a little over a stone to lose.
Yes I recall that from an earlier post. I would have thought it's very possible that a lot of pasta isn't the best move at that stage, just purely judging from how many points it uses up. Try replacing it with rice for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference?
Old 09-02-2013, 21:16
Just_Isabella
Forum Member

Oh I didn't mean tests to see if there's anything wrong with you. Just advice on how to lose weight from a nutritionist when you're within a healthy BMI, especially given that you've already identified that cutting more calories isn't a good move. They would be able to advise on what food is the best for you to eat and/or avoid to get to where you want to get to. No stranger on a forum can do that as it's not as simple as 'eat less - move more' when you're already doing that and aren't overweight!

Yes I recall that from an earlier post. I would have thought it's very possible that a lot of pasta isn't the best move at that stage, just purely judging from how many points it uses up. Try replacing it with rice for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference?
Oh I see! Well no worries on that front as I come from a family of doctors so I already know what to eat and what not to. Guess I'll just have to persevere! Thanks for your help
Old 09-02-2013, 22:51
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

What kind of rice are we talking!? I do love rice i eat the packets of campbells savoury rice, theyre 4 points a packet cause theyre less then 2% fat. So tasty n filling too.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53
BeccyJayne2247
Forum Member

I think i am going to try this 5:2 diet and tomorrow will be my first fast day. I was thinking a slice of brown toast for breakfast, apple and a few grapes during the day and maybe a couple of melba toast (13 cals each) then cod and veg for tea?

How does this sound?

Has anyone bought the book about it?
BeccyJayne2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10
Knightfall
Forum Member

started 9.1, now 8.12

well lets see how long that lasts
Knightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:17
sarah0890
Forum Member

Lost half a pound this week. Pleased with it after I put on a pound last week so at least for now I'm back going in the right direction!

Hope everyone has a good week
sarah0890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:58
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

Weighed in at 11st this morning. Remain unconvinced by scales, but IF that is true, I have actually hit my weight loss target of half a stone.

I'm now going to push on through to my ultimate target of an entire stone to get back down to 10st 7lbs which I was when I finished teacher training almost 4 years ago.

11st is the lightest I've been for 18 months. Bit chuffed with myself.
GiraffeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 20:13
laurielou
Forum Member

Congrats to everyone who's lost weight this week.

After 2 weeks of near-stalling (0.5 lb a week), have now lost another 2lb. Taking me to just over a stone lost now. Yay. Was worried it was all going to stop and I'd give up.

Just went out for a run in the rain to, uh, 'celebrate'. It was actually quite nice tho'. Like having your run and shower at the same time...
laurielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:31
WinterFire
Forum Member

Congratulations to everyone who has lost weight from me too.

I've had a good workout at the gym this morning, and am sticking to my diet better than last week. I must say that I'm finding that going to the gym really fits into my lifestyle and I'm seeing rapid fitness gains.

One question, how do you work out your ideal weight. I used this site: http://www.prokerala.com/health/heal...eal-weight.php and it says that I should be 77.65kg. (Currently 82.5). That seems quite high to me. My initial target is 80kg, but if my ideal is 77.65, I'm definitely going for that. But looking elsewhere gives me different numbers. Here, assuming that I'm a 'medium frame', I should be 71.21kgs to 77.2kgs. http://www.jodohonline.com/dietpills...le_for_men.htm. According to http://weight.optyourlife.com I should be 73kg. Where-ever I look, I find different figures concerning what weight I should be.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32
molliepops
Forum Member

Went up a lb this week, but I think it's water retention as I tend to go up at this point in the month. So no stopping just head down and carry on.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:24
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

Dont be too disheartened mollie, it happens!! Goodluck for next week