Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Old 19-02-2013, 16:56
WinterFire
Forum Member

I've seemingly lost a stone this week. I had to ask my dad if he'd adjusted the scales as I had pizza and chips Saturday, albeit a thin one. I did walk the dog twice so maybe that helped.
A stone in a week

I would definitely cross-check against other scales. And if you have lost that much, see a doctor.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-02-2013, 17:03
Julzei
Forum Member

A stone in a week

I would definitely cross-check against other scales. And if you have lost that much, see a doctor.
I have been going to the toilet a lot as well.
Julzei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:05
Just Vogue
Inactive Member

I've seemingly lost a stone this week. I had to ask my dad if he'd adjusted the scales as I had pizza and chips Saturday, albeit a thin one. I did walk the dog twice so maybe that helped.

I've ordered some of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forza-Raspbe...1291423&sr=8-1 from amazon after hearing good things about them. I'm not expecting much but it doesn't hurt to try. I'm still going to diet and exercise.
I had this exact same problem a few weeks back, I'd gone down from 11 stone 5 to around 10 stone 7 in just a week... I was really pleased to but got really worried about it.

Few days later I'd realised I had been getting an awful lot of headaches and it hit me that since I've started dieting I had been drinking considerably less fluids. Upped my fluids and within two days my weight had shot back up to 11 stone 4!

So try drinking a bit more water, you might just be dehydrated and confusing it with hunger because you're dieting. I'm guessing that's what I did!
Just Vogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:24
Darcy_
Forum Member

I had this exact same problem a few weeks back, I'd gone down from 11 stone 5 to around 10 stone 7 in just a week... I was really pleased to but got really worried about it.

Few days later I'd realised I had been getting an awful lot of headaches and it hit me that since I've started dieting I had been drinking considerably less fluids. Upped my fluids and within two days my weight had shot back up to 11 stone 4!

So try drinking a bit more water, you might just be dehydrated and confusing it with hunger because you're dieting. I'm guessing that's what I did!
I doubt very much that such a considerable weight loss in a matter of days can be put down to not drinking enough fluids?!
Darcy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 19:09
kate36
Forum Member

Hi all! Hope everyone's having a good week so far..... My calorie consumption has been a little mercurial lately!! but I am swimming 4 times a week for at least an hour each time - today and Sunday I did 80 minutes and I am trying to keep the portions small, some days it's easier than others!!
kate36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:22
WinterFire
Forum Member

Well done Kate, keep up the good work.

I don't know if it's due to me dieting, but I'm really enjoying my food more recently. Even very simple things like cream crackers seem to taste absolutely delicious. Does make it slightly harder to resist temptation though
Old 19-02-2013, 21:56
Progrez
Forum Member

Younger brother has lost 22 kgs and I've lost 19 kgs and I've done it the proper way too not this eat less and do more stuff.

I've done it by eating 6 meals a day with 3 whole meals and 3 liquid smoothies which help me control my cravings for food and I eat so much too.
Progrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 09:23
netcurtains
Forum Member

3lb loss this week, making a total loss of 5st 4lb.
netcurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 09:30
WinterFire
Forum Member

Well done netcurtains.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:56
molliepops
Forum Member

Well done netcurtains !

BTW congratulations to all of us who are still going strong, we have passed the point many give up !
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:38
YoungAtHeart
Forum Member

Congratulations everyone who is loosing weight

Since starting on this thread a month ago, I have had a couple of setbacks. Firstly, the snow stopped me from being so active and being cooped up, I tended to snack. Then I was on antibiotics for 3 times a day and I found I needed to eat substantially before taking them as otherwise, I would feel really nauseous.

So I haven't put on weight, I just haven't lost any either. Ho hum.

However, I am now back on the bandwagon
YoungAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:02
molliepops
Forum Member

It's so irritating when that happens isn't it, still main thing is to get back on the programme and not get too down about it. Hope your feeling better after the antibiotics ?
Old 20-02-2013, 11:21
YoungAtHeart
Forum Member

It's so irritating when that happens isn't it, still main thing is to get back on the programme and not get too down about it. Hope your feeling better after the antibiotics ?
Yes, I am thanks molliepops.

At least I am doing a bit more exercise now and I have made that a part of my weekly routine now. So I only need to eat a bit less and hopefully I'll be seeing a smaller me in time for summer.

And congratulations with your continued loss molliepops. You seem to be doing really well
Old 20-02-2013, 12:17
WinterFire
Forum Member

Yes, I am thanks molliepops.

At least I am doing a bit more exercise now and I have made that a part of my weekly routine now. So I only need to eat a bit less and hopefully I'll be seeing a smaller me in time for summer.

And congratulations with your continued loss molliepops. You seem to be doing really well
I've read up on dieting a bit. One thing that I've noticed is that it's often important to have the mindset that if things haven't gone right, then just pick yourself up and continue on from where you are. Getting too down about things not going right all the time seems to be demotivating and a possible cause of failure.
Old 20-02-2013, 12:31
molliepops
Forum Member

Must agree with that Winterfire, over the years I have tried various times to diet, each time I gave up far too easily at the first hurdle, made excuses why I needed to stop etc. Now I am finding just keep going even when you have a bad week, next week may be better, so just power through.

It helps I think for me anyway that I am feeling far more positive generally, I have suffered from depression on and off for years but something has clicked recently and I seem to have mentally turned a corner. I think it was giving up sugar. On previous diets I have tried to have the occasional sugary treat, this time I have just turned my back on sugar and after the first couple of days where I could have killed someone (really glad we don't have a gun culture in this country) I suddenly felt so much better - more energy more focused more like the person I want to be. And that was before I lost and ounce !
Old 20-02-2013, 12:41
striing
Forum Member

I've read up on dieting a bit. One thing that I've noticed is that it's often important to have the mindset that if things haven't gone right, then just pick yourself up and continue on from where you are. Getting too down about things not going right all the time seems to be demotivating and a possible cause of failure.
This is true. I overate the night before WI because I knew that I wasn't going to have lost weight, even though I was within my points and had done lots more activity.

Thinking back on it the reason I was going to have stayed the same may well be because I ate a lot more processed food that week ('remove sleeve - poke with a fork' stuff). Eating that stuff seems to cause me problems, even if it's within points/calories. But I hate cooking so it's a constant battle.

I am determined to keep going though - just readjusting my goals to more realistic ones. I read a post on the WW board from a woman who has lost about 5 stone (and is now at goal weight) who said that when she looked back on it her average weight loss each week was always between 0 and 1lb (about 0.6lb) - and she still did it. So I have to get my head around the idea that I could get to a healthy weight even with tiny losses each week. Frankly, given that I've spent my whole adult life overweight if it takes me 2 years to get to a healthy weight I should still be happy with that. (And I'm really too old to be looking at pictures of Josie from Big Brother and getting impatient but... .)
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 14:35
YoungAtHeart
Forum Member

I do agree Winterfire

And thanks for everyone posting afterwards too because I was actually about to indulge myself and snack on a pack of crisps. But after seeing all these comments, it is certainly enough encouragement to wait until I do feel hungry and if it's not meal time, then I'll try and snack on something a bit healthier.

After all, I'm back on the horse now and I want to lose some pounds
Old 20-02-2013, 19:38
netcurtains
Forum Member

I do agree Winterfire

And thanks for everyone posting afterwards too because I was actually about to indulge myself and snack on a pack of crisps. But after seeing all these comments, it is certainly enough encouragement to wait until I do feel hungry and if it's not meal time, then I'll try and snack on something a bit healthier.

After all, I'm back on the horse now and I want to lose some pounds
I think we all have off days where we go a bit mad. I often do and suprisingly it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss as long as the off day doesn't turn into an off week/month! The last time I had a mad splurge, I ate two bags of crisps and a full packet of Jaffa cakes and I lost 4lbs that week!
Old 21-02-2013, 08:09
molliepops
Forum Member

I think we all have off days where we go a bit mad. I often do and suprisingly it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss as long as the off day doesn't turn into an off week/month! The last time I had a mad splurge, I ate two bags of crisps and a full packet of Jaffa cakes and I lost 4lbs that week!
Counting calories I sort of allow myself a splurge every so often, eat below my calories for a week and I can have a bit of a celebratory day lol
Old 21-02-2013, 09:28
netcurtains
Forum Member

Counting calories I sort of allow myself a splurge every so often, eat below my calories for a week and I can have a bit of a celebratory day lol
Sometimes if I find my weight loss slowing down or stopping, I have a day off and eat a shedload of food and start again the next day and it seems to kickstart the weightloss like your body is tricked into thinking you've just started dieting!
I think your body can get used to the amount of calories you consume and you hit a dreaded plateau which all dieters hate.
Old 21-02-2013, 09:46
striing
Forum Member

I am in awe of how much you have lost.

I'm getting stuck around the same point I got stuck at when I last tried WW in 2009. I'm sure it must be what I am eating, rather than how much because I've got portions under control - but I'm never going to eat platefuls of salad.
Old 21-02-2013, 09:55
WinterFire
Forum Member

I had to ride a bicycle down Belgrave Road this morning.

http://www.gg2.net/newImage/original...72147_2008.JPG

Oh, the temptation. But I resisted Weigh in day tomorrow. I'm going to have a splurge day when I get to 80kg. Only one, I promise
Old 21-02-2013, 10:03
molliepops
Forum Member

I am in awe of how much you have lost.

I'm getting stuck around the same point I got stuck at when I last tried WW in 2009. I'm sure it must be what I am eating, rather than how much because I've got portions under control - but I'm never going to eat platefuls of salad.
Sorry if this sounds nosey but perhaps post a typical days menu and lets see if anyone can help you ? I don't mind doing that if I find I am stuck but at the moment don't need to.
Old 21-02-2013, 10:40
striing
Forum Member

Hmm I don't really have a typical day - perhaps I should but I somehow think I'll get bored if I do that.

The closest I get to any kind of pattern is: if I have breakfast it's coffee (with milk) and grapenuts (with milk). I either have full fat, semi skimmed or 1% milk depending on what I want and/or can buy. If I don't have this then I'll have a cereal bar somepoint mid morning (probably with tea or coffee).

If I'm working I tend not to have lunch and to eat again around 4, 5 or 6. If I'm still in the office then this will be something prepacked (sandwich or salad from M&S the most likely). If I've got home by 6 I either cook stir fry veg (with bacon so it's not too bland!) and rice or pasta or have a remove sleeve - poke with a fork meal. If I'm home I'll probably have my main meal around 2-4pm.

The weeks I'm most successful are the ones where I cook myself, even though in points what I cook may be a bit more than poke with a fork. There also seems to be a pattern of doing worse in weeks when I have food that has cheese in it - though I'd have to look more closely at that to be sure.

I eat yoghurts or crisps (mainly M&S honey and barbecue wholegrain snacks!) as snacks. On weeks when I know I'm going to be hungry I buy something like a carrot cake and keep it in the fridge so I have something if I 'need' it (I don't always eat all of it but I find it's better to have it there otherwise I'd send out for takeaway). At least once a fortnight I get takeaway pizza (but still point it).

I am conscious I don't really eat fruit - but I don't like it. I have forced myself to eat it on past diets and haven't done any better so it doesn't seem worth forcing myself to eat it when I'm only going to want something else as well.

I don't have the things that people tend to say need to be 'cut' eg fizzy drinks, chocolate (I have migraines so wake up very ill in the night if I have much chocolate) etc. I also can't do the thing of snacking or eating lost of small means as the more I eat the hungrier I get. Also, I don't know if this is an indication of my psyche but images of 'bad' food or being overweight also just make me more hungry - watching supersize v superskinny makes me want to send out for pizza, rather than motivating me to lose weight!

My current BMI is just under 33.
Old 21-02-2013, 10:49
molliepops
Forum Member

I would look at the amount of calories in the prepacked sandwiches, some of them are huge.

Also snacks ? do you really need them ?

3 meals a day is how I am doing it, no snacks unless I miss a meal and I make my own sandwiches as the calorie count can be kept lower.