Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Old 22-02-2013, 23:13
WinterFire
Forum Member

Surely as well as calories though you are considering the fat content of a food?

For example:
(this won't tabulate properly I know)

Item Serving Size Calorie Count Grams of Fat
hot cross bun 70g 205 3.9
scone 70g 225 7.6

So the same size portion, only 20 more calories, but almost double the amount of fat!!!

That's why a donut won't be good for breakfast
I don't quite understand your point. The poster I was discussing had already eaten a Krispy Kreme donut for breakfast today. I was just mentioning that it had 220 calories according to the company's information. And if this was the case, then is possible to fit this into a suitable calorie limit. I.e. that 220 calories for breakfast isn't a calorie controlled diet busting choice. I wasn't discussing the amount of fat at all. So, I'm not sure how your post is related to my post that you are answering. Perhaps you can further explain what you mean.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:02
molliepops
Forum Member

I have a feeling fat isn't such a monster anyway. I am not eating vlf this time and feel much better for it. Skin is not dry, I feel fuller longer, and some other benefits that may be too much information
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:39
WinterFire
Forum Member

I have a feeling fat isn't such a monster anyway. I am not eating vlf this time and feel much better for it. Skin is not dry, I feel fuller longer, and some other benefits that may be too much information
I've waited a bit to give kyresa a chance to post again and clarify his/her meaning.

In the meantime, I did a bit of research. It seems that some people are a bit confused about different sources of calories and dieting.

It seems that there are two basic situations.

In the first a person is eating exactly the right number of calories to balance their energy in/energy out ratio, or they have a calorie deficit, in which case they will be losing weight (unless there is water retention/muscle development etc.). In this case it appears that there is no significant difference concerning whether or not the calories come from fat, carbs, or protein. (Though an excessively unbalanced diet may lead to other problems such as deficiencies).

In the second situation, someone is eating more calories than they expend. In this case, the excess calories may be converted into fat storage. The body is more efficient at storing fat as fat than it is at storing carbs or protein as fat. Hence if you're actually gaining weight, fat calories may make you gain more than carb or protein calories. But this is only for people actually gaining weight, not those on calorie restricted diets who are losing weight. (I.e. us). I have looked, but I haven't found a reliable reference for this. Only blogs, newspaper articles, and Wikipedia.

Most of the research shows that when dieting, it doesn't matter where your calories come from (unless your diet is so poor that other problems are caused). There is some research showing that different kinds of foods do produce different dieting results when losing weight, e.g. people who were eating nuts lost more than expected. However, there is also other research showing that nuts have had their calories over-estimated because some of the fats they contain are not digested.http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea....full.pdf+html This could have produced the previous results where nut consumption led to more weight loss, because the people eating more nuts weren't eating the same number of calories as other groups, they were eating less. Also, other research looks at people who are not on calorie controlled diets, e.g. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....2007.507/full In the case of people not on calorie controlled diets, there is the possibility that certain foods may be more satiating than others, leading to less calories being eaten overall. That doesn't apply to people who have calorie targets and stick to them. E.g. I drink artificially sweetened drinks. There is research showing that people who aren't on calorie controlled diets may over-compensate for the calories lost through artificial sweeteners versus sugar. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/ However, this doesn't apply to people successfully following calorie controlled diets as they aren't over-compensating for the artificial sweetener.

Hence, while eating a Krispy Kreme donut for breakfast is not going to be a good thing due to the fairly empty calories in it, at a claimed 220 kcal, it isn't going to be a diet deal-breaker.
Old 24-02-2013, 09:45
molliepops
Forum Member

That's interesting and much like what I am finding with experience. I started off VLF, no sugar and low carb, felt ill, hungry and thought I can't do this weight loss thing. Upped my carbs a little, still no sugar and upped my fat to a much higher level. Weight still came off at the same rate because I was eating the same calories. I felt better, less hungry and definitely not ill.

So my experience is exactly what you have found from other sources.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:07
WinterFire
Forum Member

That's interesting and much like what I am finding with experience. I started off VLF, no sugar and low carb, felt ill, hungry and thought I can't do this weight loss thing. Upped my carbs a little, still no sugar and upped my fat to a much higher level. Weight still came off at the same rate because I was eating the same calories. I felt better, less hungry and definitely not ill.

So my experience is exactly what you have found from other sources.
Yes. In an extreme case, you could have two diets. One would be an 1800kcal/day reasonably varied diet including treats, which is what I'm eating now. The other could be a 1750kcal/day diet of nutritious but tasteless grey sludge. In theory if I'd started the latter diet before Christmas, I should have lost more weight than I have. Except that I wouldn't as there is no way I would have remained on a diet of tasteless grey sludge for months.

That's clearly reductio ad absurdum, but I agree with the point that many people make (e.g. Christian Grey on this thread) that a diet has to include treats and food that you like, or it'll likely fail as people will give up. I painted myself into a corner calorifically last night as I only had 600kcal left by about 3pm. But my dinner included 274kcal of oven chips. A waste of calories? Maybe, but I really enjoyed them. Having two Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages (which I learned of when they were recommended in this thread) as part of my meal helped to make it a full meal without breaking the calorific bank.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:25
molliepops
Forum Member

Exactly.

I split my calories in the morning into 3 and plan my meals for the day, even have egg on toast for breakfast quite often as I know that keeps me full until lunch time and I enjoy it.

Yesterday I didn't even eat my remaining calories at supper as I wasn't hungry, that's something else I am now doing only eating when hungry not forcing in a meal just because it is time for that meal.
Old 24-02-2013, 13:48
Splot
Forum Member

Weighed myself this morning and I am 9 stone 13.

Am going to weigh myself again in two weeks and see what happens.

Aiming to lose a stone.

I know it doesn't sound like that much weight but because I'm so short the extra pounds look really bad on me - plus I can't afford to buy another wardrobe of clothes.

Only got one pair of jeans that fit and they are in the wash at the moment so have been forced to wear joggers all weekend.
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:10
molliepops
Forum Member

Good luck splot - love your name BTW !
Old 24-02-2013, 18:29
Splot
Forum Member

Good luck splot - love your name BTW !
Thanks
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 23:40
WinterFire
Forum Member

Good luck Splot from me too.
Old 25-02-2013, 04:42
c00kiemonster72
Forum Member

Yes. In an extreme case, you could have two diets. One would be an 1800kcal/day reasonably varied diet including treats, which is what I'm eating now. The other could be a 1750kcal/day diet of nutritious but tasteless grey sludge. In theory if I'd started the latter diet before Christmas, I should have lost more weight than I have. Except that I wouldn't as there is no way I would have remained on a diet of tasteless grey sludge for months.

That's clearly reductio ad absurdum, but I agree with the point that many people make (e.g. Christian Grey on this thread) that a diet has to include treats and food that you like, or it'll likely fail as people will give up. I painted myself into a corner calorifically last night as I only had 600kcal left by about 3pm. But my dinner included 274kcal of oven chips. A waste of calories? Maybe, but I really enjoyed them. Having two Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages (which I learned of when they were recommended in this thread) as part of my meal helped to make it a full meal without breaking the calorific bank.
What is this tasteless grey sludge you mention, as I've racked my brains for ages now trying to think what you mean but have drawn a blank?

I disagree about the treats, as I've spent my whole life giving myself treats and racked up a weight of over 28stone.
Since then my diet has been very controlled of a very high amount of fruits and veg and a low amount of starchy carbs. With no treats and my diet is working as I'm now 20 stone.

I can't afford treats as I know what will happen, it will allow my mind to slip from the "oh one little biscuit won't harm" to eating the whole packet again like I used to.

Nothing like that goes into my basket at the supermarket, nor does any processed food as I now make everything from scratch. this way I'm in total control of what I consume.
But then I had to be as I was so overweight, I've needed to be hard disciplined with myself for this to work.
Any half hearted attempt with treats would not work for me, and tbh probably won't work for most people as they will soon slip back into their old ways, so advising that treats are ok I think one should be careful with as it's as bad a someone giving up smoking but being told the odd one here and then won't harm. Well at least the context is the same
c00kiemonster72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:10
WinterFire
Forum Member

What is this tasteless grey sludge you mention, as I've racked my brains for ages now trying to think what you mean but have drawn a blank?
The grey sludge doesn't exist, it's a thought experiment. In this case, an extreme example.

I disagree about the treats, as I've spent my whole life giving myself treats and racked up a weight of over 28stone.
Since then my diet has been very controlled of a very high amount of fruits and veg and a low amount of starchy carbs. With no treats and my diet is working as I'm now 20 stone.

I can't afford treats as I know what will happen, it will allow my mind to slip from the "oh one little biscuit won't harm" to eating the whole packet again like I used to.
If treats as part of your diet don't work for somebody, then of course they'll have to try something different. But for me, a complete absence of treats is less likely to work. Personally I'm OK with one little biscuit, but I know from long past experience that I would slip if I had a featureless diet with no rewards. If I found that 'one little biscuit' was a trigger for diet failure, then I'd have to do something different.

Different people work differently. However, I note that many dieticians do recommend treats, e.g. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/s...s-healthy-diet, http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/p...ing-myths.aspx. So, I would think that my take on it isn't specific to me, and there are a reasonable proportion of people who would do better on diets with the occasional treat. But if that doesn't work for you, then of course you need to do something different. Which you have done very successfully, and congrats to you for finding what works for you.

And one thing we have to remember is that diets, of any sort, don't work for most people, as most people who diet, fail. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2779031.stm

Edit: Looking at your example of cigarettes, then this is different from how I relate to food. Smoking often develops into an addiction, and dealing with an addiction is very different from dealing with overeating as a moderate habit. There are people who are addicted to sweet food, and clearly for them the 'treats' may not work as they may fall 'off the wagon' as you describe. But for people such as myself who overate a little and put on weight slowly over years or over decades as in my case, it's not an addiction and hence the situation is quite different.
Old 25-02-2013, 07:29
molliepops
Forum Member

3.1 lb loss this week, been on my feet a bit more and had a few sedate walks must have made a difference ! Had a couple of treats too so was quite surprised.
Old 25-02-2013, 07:32
WinterFire
Forum Member

3.1 lb loss this week, been on my feet a bit more and had a few sedate walks must have made a difference ! Had a couple of treats too so was quite surprised.
Very well done Mollie.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:27
molliepops
Forum Member

Thank you, forgot to say good luck to everyone else this week (far too chuffed with myself to have remembered everything lol)
Old 25-02-2013, 10:55
netcurtains
Forum Member

Well done Mollie. I'm not looking forward to my weigh in on Wednesday, I don't think I've done very well this week.
netcurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 11:40
molliepops
Forum Member

We all have off days/ weeks don't worry just try to do better next week. Although you may still surprise yourself on wednesday !
Old 25-02-2013, 12:16
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

Lost 4 pounds in 3 days! Given ive not been very very well so have hardly eaten anything but the fact ive been ill has really put me off food even now that im feeling okay so if i cna keep the weight off ill be happy! Its certainly kickstarted my diet again anyway. congrats to molliepops xx
Steff_Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 14:38
WinterFire
Forum Member

Lost 4 pounds in 3 days! Given ive not been very very well so have hardly eaten anything but the fact ive been ill has really put me off food even now that im feeling okay so if i cna keep the weight off ill be happy! Its certainly kickstarted my diet again anyway. congrats to molliepops xx
Erm, I'm not sure what to do here. The loss of weight is a plus, but being ill is perhaps in itself something that should prompt sympathy. Can I instead wish you good luck for both good health and good weightloss in the coming weeks?
Old 25-02-2013, 15:30
Steff_Allen
Forum Member

Erm, I'm not sure what to do here. The loss of weight is a plus, but being ill is perhaps in itself something that should prompt sympathy. Can I instead wish you good luck for both good health and good weightloss in the coming weeks?
Yes thankyou
Steff_Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:42
WinterFire
Forum Member

Surprise. I had only eaten 787 kcal, so cooked a full pasta meal and assumed that I could catch up on my full calorie ration afterwards. This has worked reliably for a while. I just calculated, and there were 906 kcal in my portion of pasta! And I had cooked the vegetables in some water instead of in olive oil as I would have done previously! So probably my pre-diet pasta would have been over 1000 kcal a portion! I'm only within my calorie allowance because I hadn't eaten that much earlier in the day.
Old 25-02-2013, 20:17
oscardelahoya
Forum Member

I've been using myfitnesspal for a while but I'm getting fed up of constantly thinking of meals. It's a little soul destroying
oscardelahoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 21:04
molliepops
Forum Member

I've been using myfitnesspal for a while but I'm getting fed up of constantly thinking of meals. It's a little soul destroying
Why is that a problem ? When I was eating normally I planned meals so doing it this way is no harder I find.
Old 25-02-2013, 21:31
oscardelahoya
Forum Member

Why is that a problem ? When I was eating normally I planned meals so doing it this way is no harder I find.
I have never bothered planning meals before, I just made whatever was in the house. Now I feel like I'm constantly trying to think of things to make, and then I end up getting fed up doing the shopping and buying something I don't have to think about. I'm too unorganised to stick to a weekly meal plan. All in all pretty useless

Well done on this week's loss by the way, just seen it. 3lbs is great
oscardelahoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:26
molliepops
Forum Member

I shop two weekly with a sort of rough meal plan in mind, then in house I have everything I need fort the fortnight. May be worth doing something similar ? Key I find is don't buy what you know you don't want to eat on your diet - so no chocolate or sugar in my case.