Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Old 26-02-2013, 10:41
Progrez
Forum Member

I've waited a bit to give kyresa a chance to post again and clarify his/her meaning.

In the meantime, I did a bit of research. It seems that some people are a bit confused about different sources of calories and dieting.

It seems that there are two basic situations.

In the first a person is eating exactly the right number of calories to balance their energy in/energy out ratio, or they have a calorie deficit, in which case they will be losing weight (unless there is water retention/muscle development etc.). In this case it appears that there is no significant difference concerning whether or not the calories come from fat, carbs, or protein. (Though an excessively unbalanced diet may lead to other problems such as deficiencies).

In the second situation, someone is eating more calories than they expend. In this case, the excess calories may be converted into fat storage. The body is more efficient at storing fat as fat than it is at storing carbs or protein as fat. Hence if you're actually gaining weight, fat calories may make you gain more than carb or protein calories. But this is only for people actually gaining weight, not those on calorie restricted diets who are losing weight. (I.e. us). I have looked, but I haven't found a reliable reference for this. Only blogs, newspaper articles, and Wikipedia.

I eat 6 healthy meals meals a day which means I am on the 2nd one you listed and yet I am loosing a lot of fat. Protein as fat that's very unlikely because of the thermic effect of protein is a lot higher compared to carbs and fats. Most of the excess protein is excreted through your urine and used to repair muscle tissue and tone your skin and repair any other issues like for me with my hair loss problems, dark circles, improved eye sights etc etc.I've cut out all processed foods and refined sugar and I am loosing weight (I have lost 19 kgs already)
Progrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:44
molliepops
Forum Member

Well done progrezz ! It just shows different things work for different people IMO we just have to find what works for us personally.
molliepops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 16:22
JJ75
Forum Member

Im a ~30yr old male, I started putting on LOADS of weight towards the end of Uni to the point that I weighed 30st!

I could sort of get away with 'carrying' it as im 6'4, though about 20 months ago I realised that this was unacceptable and decided to do something about it. Im now down to 18st and still going downwards.

Id like to give my POV on the whole diet 'thing'. Maybe someone will find it helpful:

Temporary Diets dont work, you need to correct your eating habits permanently, dont go on 'diet' change your lifestyle.

Stop eating crap 24/7, I know it tastes good and your probably lazy like me and its quick and easy, but you need to decided whether you want to cram donuts in your mouth or have a healthy and active body you cant do both, you need to choose.

Dont be afraid to have a cheat meal once in a while, it's okay, your not in prison you can enjoy stuff occasionally, just make sure it's occasionally and doesnt become every day, like once a week and dont binge either - eat sensibly when you cheat.

In order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in, it's realy that simple. Friends have said to me oh I only eat 800 calories I cant loose weight like you. I ask a little further and find out they dont excercise at all and drink 10 coffees a day (which when black have no real calories) with full fat milk and sugar.....sigh.

I used to struggle exercising - after work I was tired, busy or would make up some other excuse to do it, if you want to lose weight you need to be proactive and not think or wish about doing it - if you cant, dont bother trying to struggle yo-yo deiting, realise you are making excuses up and thats half the battle. You can ALWAYS find a way if you WANT TOO, if someone put a gun to your head and said you need to spend 30 minutes a day doing charity work or they will come and shoot you in your sleep, you will find a way to accomplish that - this is called "motivation", laziness's arch nemesis.

Find your way to exercise 30 intense minutes a day and you will be in route to weighing less and feeling healthier. I found my way by waking up EARLY and exercising before getting ready for work. This might not be for everyone, but I call anyone out who cant get up earlier and do some exercise. In the end it worked for me, because I was getting up an hour earlier and doing a preplanned series of exercises and weights in a concise time frame. A benefit of this is that exercising releases endorphin's which kick in and make the day go by faster and gave me a good mood for the rest of the day and work. Also it kick starts your metabolism so helps with your calorie intake for the day!

If you are big/heavy like I was, DONT run for cardio, use a bike, go swimming (unlikely since you will be self conscious) or use a rowing machine as you will damage your joints and tendons needlessly by putting them under serious stress, so do low joint impact cardio work until your lighter then do all that other stuff, worse thing that can happen is get injured and fall back into sitting on your bum and feeling sorry for yourself - it's happened to me!

DONT use scales to measure your weight, BMI is also a load of rubbish - it works in principle but there will be a point where you are doing the routines and not loosing any weight, because your flab is being replaced by heavier muscle and you will dispair. Instead use clothing as goals - I have goal shirts that are much smaller than I can wear, and I try these on to see progress, there is no better a feeling than buttoning up a shirt that wouldn't even close beforehand.

Thats a few pointers that helped me lose 12 stone so far, I hope it's of help to someone, it might not be to everyone's taste.
Well done for your huge weight loss - thats impressive!!

I also agree with a fair bit of what you say.
JJ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 22:56
Progrez
Forum Member

Well done progrezz ! It just shows different things work for different people IMO we just have to find what works for us personally.
Thanks and well I think people sometimes starve themselves too much which is the not the right way to go because you end up feeling more depressed and tired and fatigued which means you can be on a vicious cycle. Weight doesn't really equate to how healthy you are. My twin brother has lost 23 kgs as well by doing this. The program I am on has been a very successful program for me and for a thousand other people and its not a fad diet hardly any of the people out there know about the program i am on.

Here's an article on overfeeding and the results you get from eating more protein you do gain weight but that's purely muscle and weight training.
http://www.metabolicprecision.com/ar...mp-overfeeding
Progrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:05
striing
Forum Member

Diet experts, what do you make of this - two weeks ago I religiously followed weight watchers (on which I had been losing weight) until six days into the week when I weighed myself and realised I wasn't going to have lost any weight. I pigged out that night and ended up putting on 1 1/2lb.

This past week I have eaten like what can only be described as the piggiest of pigs, including at least 4 days of takeaway pizza (I say at least because I gave up tracking - it might have been 5). On more than one day I ate about 100 WW propoints (which is apparently somewhere between 4000 and 5000 calories - and if you're wondering how that's even possible you too can achieve this by eating either Pizza Hut for lunch followed by Dominos for dinner or cooking for lunch and then geting Pizza Hut for tea). Apart from one day when I cooked I ate mostly crap, including two tubs of ice cream. And... here's the puzzler - I LOST 1 1/4 lb. Go figure.

All I can think is that it does fall into line with my pattern which is that once I have lost weight I can keep it off without any problems. I can also eat a tonne of food and stay the same (BMI about 33 so obese but by no means needing a reinforced firetruck to air lift me from the house) but to lose I have to eat a fraction of my normal diet and also move a hell of a lot more which is almost impossible to sustain.

What is going on? Is my system just f00ked?
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:56
molliepops
Forum Member

Are you female ? Sorry not sure !

if you are could be like many of us and retain water at certain times, I lose next to nothing week before my period and then it falls off the week after. It's just retained water.
Old 27-02-2013, 08:43
GoodLuckCharm
Forum Member

Hi All!!

I've jumped on the weight loss bandwagon now - put on far too much weight over the last couple of years and decided it was time for a change! So far I'm on the Celebrity Slim meal replacement programme - can honestly say the shakes have been lush and the allowable snacks are enjoyable too although I do miss chocolate! Hope it all goes well...did some research and this seemed to be the best one so fingers crossed!

Looking to lose 3-4 stone so hopefully this thread keeps me motivated!
GoodLuckCharm is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:42
Splot
Forum Member

Has anyone ever found their weight has remained the same for some time and then lost a couple of pounds at once?

Please say this can be so...
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 11:47
Splot
Forum Member

Hi All!!

I've jumped on the weight loss bandwagon now - put on far too much weight over the last couple of years and decided it was time for a change! So far I'm on the Celebrity Slim meal replacement programme - can honestly say the shakes have been lush and the allowable snacks are enjoyable too although I do miss chocolate! Hope it all goes well...did some research and this seemed to be the best one so fingers crossed!

Looking to lose 3-4 stone so hopefully this thread keeps me motivated!
Good luck GoodLuckCharm
Old 27-02-2013, 12:49
molliepops
Forum Member

Has anyone ever found their weight has remained the same for some time and then lost a couple of pounds at once?

Please say this can be so...
You have what is called plateaued - you need to kick start your metabolism by either eating a little more for a few days or less depending who you believe. I have tried both on occasions and the eating less worked for me but others will tell you eat more.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:59
Splot
Forum Member

You have what is called plateaued - you need to kick start your metabolism by either eating a little more for a few days or less depending who you believe. I have tried both on occasions and the eating less worked for me but others will tell you eat more.
It can't be normal to be exactly the same weight for days and days...I would expect there to be a fluctuation either up or down.

Argh! Tried eating less, now I'm eating a bit more - still nothing happening.

Said I wouldn't weigh myself for a couple of weeks but broke pretty much straight away.
Old 27-02-2013, 13:57
molliepops
Forum Member

It's quite normal when you have been dieting a while.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:44
netcurtains
Forum Member

I stayed the same this week which was better than I expected as I ate far too much for 3 days on the trot. Got to get my head back together.
netcurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:37
striing
Forum Member

Are you female ? Sorry not sure !

if you are could be like many of us and retain water at certain times, I lose next to nothing week before my period and then it falls off the week after. It's just retained water.
I am. But I've already taken that into account. The week before when I followed everything was the week I should have lost weight, following my usual cycle pattern, and didn't. So that doesn't answer it.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:54
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

Start: 15st 2lb
Last: 14st 6lb
Today:14st 4lb. Another 2lb dropped.
Todays weigh in:

Start: 15st 2lb
Last: 14st 4lb
Today: 14st 2lb Another 2lb dropped although the Wii reports I've lost 3lb somehow.

Anyway, that's the first stone out of the way.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:15
molliepops
Forum Member

Well done !
Old 28-02-2013, 19:43
WinterFire
Forum Member

Well done Ginger Nut and everyone else who has lost weight. Good luck to everyone.

But, I'm not looking forward to weighing in tomorrow. I've kept to my calories, but as I had a few body pains, I haven't been to the gym this week. I feel less painful now and plan to have a short visit, maybe even tonight. But I'm not expecting any loss tomorrow.

I'll see. If I'm at the same weight, or worse, I may have to adjust my calorie intake down. At least until I can be going to the gym regularly again.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 20:25
kyresa
Forum Member

Winterfire, I have now seen your post because someone quoted it. As everything I seem to say you want to argue with in a hostile manner, I got fed up of it and just blocked your posts. Perhaps you could do the same courtesy for me

To everyone else, good luck with your continued weight loss Another weigh in for me tomorrow.... I maintained during half term week which was pretty good as I had four meals out!
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 20:56
WinterFire
Forum Member

Welcome GoodLuckCharm. Good luck with the weight loss.

Welcome/Hello to everyone who has arrived while I was away from this thread for a bit.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13
molliepops
Forum Member

Good luck witht the weigh in Winter Fire.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27
kyresa
Forum Member

Weigh in this morning and a surprise 3lb down! 1lb more and I'll have done a stone since 8 Jan! Very happy with that!
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40
molliepops
Forum Member

That's brilliant, well done !
Old 01-03-2013, 13:10
WinterFire
Forum Member

Thanks Molliepops for the good luck message further up.

I've gone down 1/2 a kg from 81.5kg to 81kg. This compares to 89kg before Christmas, and an 80kg initial target. Though, the closer I get to my target, the more I think that continuing down to 77kg is a good idea.

In stones I've gone from 14 stone before Christmas, to 12 stone 10 pounds now. Over the last week, I've lost a little bit more than a pound. Initial target is 12 stone 8 pounds, but I'll probably drop that to 12 stone 2 pounds.

After not expecting anything this week, I'm very pleased with this result.

Losing 0.5kg/1lb a week seems have become a regular pattern. In some ways I wonder if I could reduce calories a bit just to knock off the last little bit. But thinking about it rationally, I think that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' might be the correct strategy to apply here. If I plateau (or worse), then I'll rethink things. Otherwise, I'll just be patient.

On the plus side, after not going to the gym a bit because of aches, I had a gentle workout last night, and my aches actually got a bit better. I avoided using the rowing machine as the only time I felt any worrying pain was when I sat on it. Enough to make me decide not to use it. I found the cycle and running machines much better, even therapeutic. So perhaps it's using the rowing machine that made me a bit sore. The pains aren't worrying pains such as joint or chest pains, just quite noticeable muscle pains. But, I feel that I can go back now.

I was surprised how many calories the gym machines said that I burned for relatively short periods of easy exercise. About 300 kcal in total. If those machines are accurate, then I can see how much they can aid weight loss.
Old 01-03-2013, 14:21
molliepops
Forum Member

Well that's not bad WF they say it's more likely to stay off if you lose it slowly so you may well be a success story at the end of this not a yoyo dieter like many people are !
Old 01-03-2013, 14:50
Aly1
Forum Member

Well after messing around for 2 months with MyFitnessPal and then 5:2 and losing weight and putting it back on with interest I have rejoined Weight Watchers.
It seems the only way I can stick to anything for more than a week is to hand over my hard earned money.
Feeling very determined this time round, will report back next week on how it's going on the scales.
Aly1 is offline   Reply With Quote