Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Old 01-07-2013, 12:18
Splot
Forum Member

After having being dumped I then went the other way and have done nothing but eat and drink huge amounts. I am now back at the weight I started when I came on to this thread (I keep losing and putting it back on).

It's like I'm trapped in some awful cycle.
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:24
molliepops
Forum Member

Splot you have to get into the mind set of not using food a comfort/celebration. It took me to my age to discover that little fact and be able to act on it. I can only offer you my cures they may or may not work for you.

When I am sad I now make walking my friend, off I go somewhere nice and just get it out of my system, even if when I get home I still eat something at least I have used some of the calories in walking. Celebrations I try to have a day out or go somewhere I have wanted to for a while, and then I walk

Been doing that since January and it's almost second nature now not to reach for the food but put my trainers on and get out there.

If walking isn't possible I sew - so any activity except eating really.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 13:42
Splot
Forum Member

Splot you have to get into the mind set of not using food a comfort/celebration. It took me to my age to discover that little fact and be able to act on it. I can only offer you my cures they may or may not work for you.
All good advice. At first I couldn't even look at food. Then I started going out and meeting people at every opportunity (usually involving food).

I wonder how much damage I could have done in a week. It remains to be seen if I actually have put on four pounds! Just two wouldn't be so bad.

At least the utter despair has come back and I've gone off food again.
Old 01-07-2013, 14:03
WinterFire
Forum Member

Would exercise be an option? I find going out and exercising not only burns calories, it also takes my mind off things. A double benefit.

I hope your depression gets better soon.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:12
Splot
Forum Member

Would exercise be an option? I find going out and exercising not only burns calories, it also takes my mind off things. A double benefit.

I hope your depression gets better soon.
Yeah, I think it would, but I can't get motivated at the moment. Plus I'm working all the hours god sends.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43
WinterFire
Forum Member

Weighed in this morning at the gym. 76 and a bit kg, compared to a target of 77kg. But, I was meant to be weighing myself in the evening, but at the moment it's inconvenient to go to the gym then. I'm pretty sure that I'm close enough to target weight to not be worried. It seems a bit much to go to the gym and back just to weigh myself at evening time.

So, I think I'm going to make 76kg in the morning a second target weight (as I think I gain a bit during the day), and I'll use whichever target is appropriate for the time of day I'm weighing myself.

BTW: Saw a bit of The Rolling Stones at Glasto on IPlayer. Mick Jagger is still slim and trim, and looking fit for someone who's going to be 70 in a few weeks. Shows it can be done.

Good luck, Splot.
Old 03-07-2013, 18:38
Rooks
Forum Member

I'm focusing less on the actual weight loss and more on the size of my waistline. Mainly because I'm doing weights and core exercises which will add to my weight anyway. That said, I've lost 2.1 stones in 6 months, dropped from a tight 40" to a comfortable 36" and am reasonably fitter now. My target is to get to a 34" trouser size so not too far to go.
Rooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:13
mirrormirror
Forum Member

I'm focusing less on the actual weight loss and more on the size of my waistline. Mainly because I'm doing weights and core exercises which will add to my weight anyway. That said, I've lost 2.1 stones in 6 months, dropped from a tight 40" to a comfortable 36" and am reasonably fitter now. My target is to get to a 34" trouser size so not too far to go.

Well done! I bet you feel loads lighter!

I have lost 17 pounds in nearly 5 weeks now by eating 3 sensible meals a day, lots of fruits and 4 miles of walking per day.

I feel very very noticeably lighter when walking, sweating less and generally feel so much more energetic. I have another stone to lose, and I will be happy. But I could lose another half on top of that for good measure.

I picked up 3 bags of 4kg sugar today (equivalent weight lose!), and it was friggin' heavy!
mirrormirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:32
Splot
Forum Member

I don't seem to have done as much damage as I thought on my break up binge. 9 stone 10 this morning. Hopefully this time next week will be down to 9 stone 8.

Well done to everyone else who is losing weight - good luck to anyone who is struggling!
Old 04-07-2013, 13:17
mirrormirror
Forum Member

I don't seem to have done as much damage as I thought on my break up binge. 9 stone 10 this morning. Hopefully this time next week will be down to 9 stone 8.

Well done to everyone else who is losing weight - good luck to anyone who is struggling!
Well done.

I have just started taking vitamin b complex from Holland and Barretts. My god, what an energy boost! It's unreal - I feel totally alive again, and my appetite has decreased massively!
Old 04-07-2013, 14:45
Splot
Forum Member

Well done.

I have just started taking vitamin b complex from Holland and Barretts. My god, what an energy boost! It's unreal - I feel totally alive again, and my appetite has decreased massively!
Hmm...might have to give that a try.
Old 04-07-2013, 16:15
mirrormirror
Forum Member

Hmm...might have to give that a try.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...es.asp?cid=237

I bought the timed release b-50, they are very strong so I just bite a third of a tablet in the morning and that's enough for me!

Don't take them at night otherwise you won't sleep!
Old 04-07-2013, 17:06
Rooks
Forum Member

Well done! I bet you feel loads lighter!

I have lost 17 pounds in nearly 5 weeks now by eating 3 sensible meals a day, lots of fruits and 4 miles of walking per day.
Y'know I really don't feel any different. Heck, I don't even notice the change in appearance (though everyone else does it seems, it's really weird when people start using the word 'attractive' in regards to my appearance ).

The 4 miles a day walking is THE way to lose weight gently. That's what I did first time out and lost 2 stone in about 4 months. Exactly the same as you, cutting out the snacking and just walking around 4 miles about 4 times a week. No major change in diet (just a little bit less of the bad stuff). Though I did put about a stone back on afterwards

This time I've gone more for more difficult exercising, more fitness than just weight-loss. Pretty much the same result but added muscle mass. Either way works, just get some fresh air in the lungs
Old 04-07-2013, 17:12
Rooks
Forum Member

Though I would add this for anyone thinking of doing the walk-it-off route to weight loss. Don't expect to do 4 miles straight away. I started off doing a mile, which exhausted me at first. The moved up to 1.5 miles, then 2 miles and so on. It was probably a good month before I got to 3 miles and at least 6 weeks before I got to 4 miles per session. Yes, I really was that unfit Now I can jog most of that 4 miles with relative ease so it does get better
Old 04-07-2013, 17:23
mirrormirror
Forum Member

Y'know I really don't feel any different. Heck, I don't even notice the change in appearance (though everyone else does it seems, it's really weird when people start using the word 'attractive' in regards to my appearance ).

The 4 miles a day walking is THE way to lose weight gently. That's what I did first time out and lost 2 stone in about 4 months. Exactly the same as you, cutting out the snacking and just walking around 4 miles about 4 times a week. No major change in diet (just a little bit less of the bad stuff). Though I did put about a stone back on afterwards

This time I've gone more for more difficult exercising, more fitness than just weight-loss. Pretty much the same result but added muscle mass. Either way works, just get some fresh air in the lungs
I keep catching myself in window shop reflections and it's weird to see a person you don't recognize! I have also just this week has some very complimentary looks from the a few ladies - I look so much better with a slimmer face!
Old 04-07-2013, 21:13
striing
Forum Member

Though I would add this for anyone thinking of doing the walk-it-off route to weight loss. Don't expect to do 4 miles straight away. I started off doing a mile, which exhausted me at first. The moved up to 1.5 miles, then 2 miles and so on. It was probably a good month before I got to 3 miles and at least 6 weeks before I got to 4 miles per session. Yes, I really was that unfit Now I can jog most of that 4 miles with relative ease so it does get better
I'd add that it depends on how much you move anyway and any other issues. Four miles walking for me is nothing because I have never driven so (apart from when I worked from home which is what got me fat in the first place) I've always walked everywhere. The most I've done recently is the walk into town and back which is about eleven miles - and I'm totally fine doing that too. However, I will never be able to job/run even a mile because of arthritis.

It's interesting to see the walking it off approach taking off on this thread. I think I might have started that suggestion when I realised I couldn't eat less.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 22:14
mirrormirror
Forum Member

I'd add that it depends on how much you move anyway and any other issues. Four miles walking for me is nothing because I have never driven so (apart from when I worked from home which is what got me fat in the first place) I've always walked everywhere. The most I've done recently is the walk into town and back which is about eleven miles - and I'm totally fine doing that too. However, I will never be able to job/run even a mile because of arthritis.

It's interesting to see the walking it off approach taking off on this thread. I think I might have started that suggestion when I realised I couldn't eat less.
Same here, aint drove for years..walk everywhere. It's amazing how many people literally walk yards everyday to and from there cars to their front doors. I did 6 miles today!
Old 05-07-2013, 23:24
WinterFire
Forum Member

I was thinking about walking when I was warming up on the treadmill in the gym on Tuesday morning. I start my session with a 300m walk at 6.1km/hr. According to the machine, I burnt 12 calories in two minutes, doing this walk. Over an hour, this would be 360kcal burnt. That's a useful amount of calories to burn off. Clearly running and other higher intensity exercises can burn more calories faster. But, it appears that those who can only walk at first can still burn very useful amounts of calories in a reasonable time.

Same here, aint drove for years..walk everywhere. It's amazing how many people literally walk yards everyday to and from there cars to their front doors. I did 6 miles today!
I don't own a car at all, and have no intention of getting one. Maybe once a month or less something happens and we have to get a taxi, but we end up doing a lot of walking and for myself cycling.
Old 06-07-2013, 19:41
Orangemaid
Forum Member

woo, i lost 2lb this week, and weighed myself again this morning and lost another 1lb..So far i lost 11lbs since 4th June..well chuffed , still got abit to go, i'm also walking everywhere too, and eating less

Well done to everyone else too
Orangemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33
mirrormirror
Forum Member

woo, i lost 2lb this week, and weighed myself again this morning and lost another 1lb..So far i lost 11lbs since 4th June..well chuffed , still got abit to go, i'm also walking everywhere too, and eating less

Well done to everyone else too
It's five weeks now, and I've lost 1st and 7lbs. I am exercising an awful lot though.

I have found that because my stomach size has decreased an awful lot, so has my appetite. The last thing I want now is to feel full and stuffed. I only eat when my body tells me to eat. Snacks are a thing of the past and fruit,and lovely fresh vegetables are my new friends. My skin is brighter, my energy levels are great and my focus is sharper than before.

Keep at it people. It's so worth the feeling.
Old 07-07-2013, 16:29
Rooks
Forum Member

I was thinking about walking when I was warming up on the treadmill in the gym on Tuesday morning. I start my session with a 300m walk at 6.1km/hr. According to the machine, I burnt 12 calories in two minutes, doing this walk. Over an hour, this would be 360kcal burnt.
The problem with walking on a treadmill is that it's quite dull, you walk in a straight line with no inclines and the power of the treadmill actually pulls you along to some extent. I find I burn way more calories walking outside than I do on the treadmill. For example, this morning I shifted about 750 calories with a walk/jog of just under 5 miles (just over an hour). If I'd done the same on a treadmill it would have been closer to 450-500 calories at most. Plus, you'll find that the time passes quicker and you'll be less aware you are exercising

I remember trying this because I'd heard that Kelly Osbourne lost a lot of weight by walking 4 miles a day (just walking, no running). I thought it worth a go and it worked (though I had to cut out snacking too).

And on the plus side, jogging/walking 5 miles in 23C heat may have been exhausting but at least I can justify an ice-cream tonight
Old 07-07-2013, 16:56
CloneClown
Forum Member

Another fan here of walking to lose weight and for me I believe it's more about the exercise as opposed to what I'm eating that is helping me to lose weight. I started by only being able to walk 10 minutes and after four weeks I had built it up to 40 mins. I was then able to introduce intervals of jogging which always gives me a great feeling of achievement and energy.

I've had a week off from any exercise (my longest period of inactivity since starting 10 weeks ago) because I've had a bit of a man cold. I've managed to maintain my weight of 10'6 and went out earlier for an hour in the heat for a walk and jog. I'm still very round/fat around the tummy so may need to also do some training exercises to tone? I'm not too keen on that idea though. I've got a party in three weeks so ideally just want to get back into what I was doing in the hope a few more lbs will drop off by then.
CloneClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 17:06
thejoyof_pat
Forum Member

I really need help to lose weight!! I have come back from my sisters wedding and seen the pictures of me in my bridesmaid dress - I'm 1 of 2 - and looked so fat, it bringing tears to me eyes ahaha (first world problems) but I don't want to look like anymore and feel like this, I started walking 6 out of 7 days before we left for the wedding last Saturday and I enjoy that but think I need to have other exercise to keep me motivated and to mix it up a bit but what would anyone recommend? I cannot run, so please don't suggest that, joined a running club 2 years ago and just couldn't do it. Is Zumba any good?
thejoyof_pat is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 17:28
Orangemaid
Forum Member

I really need help to lose weight!! I have come back from my sisters wedding and seen the pictures of me in my bridesmaid dress - I'm 1 of 2 - and looked so fat, it bringing tears to me eyes ahaha (first world problems) but I don't want to look like anymore and feel like this, I started walking 6 out of 7 days before we left for the wedding last Saturday and I enjoy that but think I need to have other exercise to keep me motivated and to mix it up a bit but what would anyone recommend? I cannot run, so please don't suggest that, joined a running club 2 years ago and just couldn't do it. Is Zumba any good?
aww

Walking is the best exercise., Get an ipod with ya fav music and walk to the beats ..Do you have an exercise bike ? there good ..I started my diet about 5 weeks, like mirrormirror ( well done mirror ), and ive lost about 10lbs..( i cant stop weighing meself latley ) weighed this morning and put 1lb back on but i think thats the lasagne i had last night, they are now out , home made too , never again lol...good luck ..it does take ages dieting/losing weight but i guess its worth it in the end..Im actually enjoying it, lots of walking, eating less no snacks lots of fruit/veg..I do have the odd treat though
Orangemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:16
mirrormirror
Forum Member

aww

Walking is the best exercise., Get an ipod with ya fav music and walk to the beats ..Do you have an exercise bike ? there good ..I started my diet about 5 weeks, like mirrormirror ( well done mirror ), and ive lost about 10lbs..( i cant stop weighing meself latley ) weighed this morning and put 1lb back on but i think thats the lasagne i had last night, they are now out , home made too , never again lol...good luck ..it does take ages dieting/losing weight but i guess its worth it in the end..Im actually enjoying it, lots of walking, eating less no snacks lots of fruit/veg..I do have the odd treat though
Don't worry at all if the scales say you are a pound heavier than the precious day....it's only water that the body has retained because you ate too much salt (lasagna!).
It takes two days for the body to expel food anyhow.

I can jump on the scales one day and I'm literally 2 pounds heavier with no change of diet, but then I will be 3-4 lighter a few days later... I have learnt not to weigh myself too often.

Its still dropping off.