Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Game of Thrones

Old 10-02-2013, 19:08
Woffy
Forum Member

I've watched both series of Game of Thrones three times and absolutely love it. I recently brought the first two books and nearly finished the first. Its very good but prefer the tv show. I won't read the third book until after it is aired on tv
I would recommend doing it the other way around. The TV series misses far too much out.
Woffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-02-2013, 20:06
dyer24
Forum Member

I would recommend doing it the other way around. The TV series misses far too much out.
It misses bits out yeah but nothing really important to the storyline.
Spoiler
dyer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 20:24
Woffy
Forum Member

It misses bits out yeah but nothing really important to the storyline.
I've heard that the books and series are meant to be kind of going there own ways from the 3rd book/series onwards.

I think as well, there's a lot of events that the series will struggle to replicate well from the 3rd book (the best IMO). But if they pull it off, it will be mind-blowingly good. Definitely looking forward to it
Woffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 14:38
Cadiva
Forum Member

I love the books. The first two are excellent but the third is definitely the best of the bunch (for me anyway). It has everything in it and no page goes to waste. The latest two books don't quite reach those highs but are good reads none-the-less.

I can see how it can be hard for non-readers to jump into the books after watching the show though (I also love the show). It's a completely different medium and if you're used to the show it might take a while to get adjusted to the books. If at all.
I'd totally agree.
Cadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 17:57
colin23
Forum Member

I've read all of these, even though i decided i had had enough after the first two, in the hope that they would get better, but they didn't. Yes, they are incredibly detailed and well-written, but, without giving any spoilers, he treats his main protaganists (and therefore, I think, his readers) with complete contempt, so that one is left with no reason to read on. Even though I was aware of his tendency to bump off the "sympathetic" characters, I was gobsmacked at the development at the end of the most recent? book at the Wall. I will never read another word of these books and wish i had never started.
colin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:08
UnlikelyHeroine
Forum Member

My below post is very spoiler heavy so that I can discuss the whole book series - don't look if you don't know what happens, but I have put the spoiler stuff in spoiler tags.

I think GRRM created a truly incredible world and the whole swords, dragons, snowbound castles, jostling for the throne stuff is right up my street, but he wrote himself into a couple of corners that he just has not been able to write himself out of. It is one thing to "subvert the fantasy genre" by SPOILER DO NOT LOOK UNLESS YOU HAVE READ ALL OF THE BOOKS!!!

Spoiler

but

Spoiler

If:

Spoiler

... it is yet another...
Spoiler

I have no idea where these books are going except for one obvious plot point that seems to have been clear from Book 1 but perhaps is just a red herring for all of us.
UnlikelyHeroine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:13
wombat18
Forum Member

I've read all of these, even though i decided i had had enough after the first two, in the hope that they would get better, but they didn't. Yes, they are incredibly detailed and well-written, but, without giving any spoilers, he treats his main protaganists (and therefore, I think, his readers) with complete contempt, so that one is left with no reason to read on. Even though I was aware of his tendency to bump off the "sympathetic" characters, I was gobsmacked at the development at the end of the most recent? book at the Wall. I will never read another word of these books and wish i had never started.
Why do you think that?
wombat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 16:04
colin23
Forum Member

Why do you think that?
I won't give details as I don't want to give away spoilers, but if you have read the books you will know what happens to the members of the Stark family, who are set up right at the beginning as the sympathetic characters, the main protaganists who we are meant to identify with. All books need this. You can't just have a bunch of characters you are emotionally "neutral" to. But look at what happens to Ned, Catelyn, Rob, Bran, Arya and last, most damningly, Jon.
Old 24-03-2013, 11:53
Robertfitz
Forum Member

I won't give details as I don't want to give away spoilers, but if you have read the books you will know what happens to the members of the Stark family, who are set up right at the beginning as the sympathetic characters, the main protaganists who we are meant to identify with. All books need this. You can't just have a bunch of characters you are emotionally "neutral" to. But look at what happens to Ned, Catelyn, Rob, Bran, Arya and last, most damningly, Jon.

I started the first one last week and i've just finished it and absolutely loved it. I have no intention of watching the series though because I'm one of these people who will sit there and scream at the tv if they miss out anything importent or change things aha I really hope your last sentence doesn't mean what I think it means

On a completely seperate note, regarding the first book, did anyone else find little grammatical errors every now and then? And dare I say it, even the odd spelling mistake? I could be wrong. I can't remember exactly where but I'm sure of it
Robertfitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 22:53
ChrisE
Forum Member

My below post is very spoiler heavy so that I can discuss the whole book series - don't look if you don't know what happens, but I have put the spoiler stuff in spoiler tags.

I think GRRM created a truly incredible world and the whole swords, dragons, snowbound castles, jostling for the throne stuff is right up my street, but he wrote himself into a couple of corners that he just has not been able to write himself out of. It is one thing to "subvert the fantasy genre" by SPOILER DO NOT LOOK UNLESS YOU HAVE READ ALL OF THE BOOKS!!!

Spoiler

but

Spoiler

If:

Spoiler

... it is yet another...
Spoiler

I have no idea where these books are going except for one obvious plot point that seems to have been clear from Book 1 but perhaps is just a red herring for all of us.
Good summing up.

As has been said, a good editor could have improved things.
ChrisE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 16:19
colin23
Forum Member

[quote=Robertfitz;64961306]I I have no intention of watching the series though because I'm one of these people who will sit there and scream at the tv if they miss out anything importent or change things aha I really hope your last sentence doesn't mean what I think it means

Afraid it does....
Old 27-03-2013, 16:32
Jimmy_McNulty
Forum Member

100% worth it. I'm reading the last book now.
Jimmy_McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 14:30
chitarivera
Forum Member

I haven't seen the TV series, but I've seen billboard posters and think it might be something I could enjoy, so I ordered the first book from Amazon last week.
Well, I THOUGHT it was the first book! It's arrived today and it's 'book 1 of part 3!'
So I've now ordered Song of Ice and Fire 1 - which I'm hoping is the first one!!

I'm not usually this thick, but there are a LOT of books in this series and the Amazon listings aren't always that clear, 'specially when reading them on a mobile phone!
chitarivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:05
Hogzilla
Forum Member

Look away! Book 5 spoilerz!

Does everyone who's read Book 5 think
Spoiler
though?

I'm not sure.

I don't think GRRM has written himself into too many corners - and find it really endearing that
Spoiler

I love those chapters like
Spoiler
where you are so gobsmacked by what GRRM just did, you have to re-read (or in my case, re-listen cos I hit that chapter on Audible). I don't think I have ever in my life read a book where some sudden turn of events made me unsure I read it right! And I do love that about GRRM's writing.
Hogzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 21:34
Shomofo
Forum Member

I have read these this the start and I toiled through the latest one I have to agree with the posts above (don't know how to do spoilers) but ended the book thinking what on earth is going on now and how will he finish this. There is only 2 more books to go but unsure who will feature.
Shomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:41
V1Chris21
Forum Member

Look away! Book 5 spoilerz!

Spoiler
though?
I'm quite surprised too, I thought more people would think that isn't the case.

Spoiler

I love the books and read them after watching the first two TV series.
Book 3 is definitely my favourite and book 4 is hard going with so many new characters but I believe it's worth it.

However I think Series 3 of the TV version isn't as good as the first two but I don't know if that's because I've now read the books so am expecting things to happen in a certain way or because I know what is going to happen or if it just isn't as good but my partner, who hasn't read the books loves it as much as the first two series so maybe it's me.
V1Chris21 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:15
wildhollie
Forum Member

Just got into the series on DVD boxset. Have only seen the first season, so have ordered the book.....will see how this is before i buy any more of the books
wildhollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:05
JonDoe
Forum Member

Spoiler
though?
No.

Spoiler

I love those chapters like
Spoiler
where you are so gobsmacked by what GRRM just did, you have to re-read (or in my case, re-listen cos I hit that chapter on Audible). I don't think I have ever in my life read a book where some sudden turn of events made me unsure I read it right! And I do love that about GRRM's writing.
I read the first
Spoiler
chapter three times for that same reason.

Spoiler
JonDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:10
Robertfitz
Forum Member

Just finished book three. So many emotions just reeling through me right now. I'm absolutely in love with this series.

Really nervous that book 4 isn't going to be as brilliant as the previous ones from comments on this thread. I've had a flick through the viewpoint characters and I'm not impressed. No Tyrion, Jon or Dany?

I still can't wait to crack on with it though. Never been this excited about a series before. Its taking every little bit of strength to not not click on those spoiler tags up there ^^ ill resist temptation (hopefully)
Old 29-04-2013, 12:32
kimotag
Forum Member

I haven't seen the TV series, but I've seen billboard posters and think it might be something I could enjoy, so I ordered the first book from Amazon last week.
Well, I THOUGHT it was the first book! It's arrived today and it's 'book 1 of part 3!'
So I've now ordered Song of Ice and Fire 1 - which I'm hoping is the first one!!

I'm not usually this thick, but there are a LOT of books in this series and the Amazon listings aren't always that clear, 'specially when reading them on a mobile phone!
The books in order are:
Game of Thrones
A Clash of kings
A Storm of swords (in two parts as a paperback)
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons(in two parts)
kimotag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 14:10
rachelright
Forum Member

Well if anyone is interested in learning Dothraki, David J Peterson explains how it works etc which is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VyxspLdQBs
rachelright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02
TWS
Forum Member

Just finished book three. So many emotions just reeling through me right now. I'm absolutely in love with this series.

Really nervous that book 4 isn't going to be as brilliant as the previous ones from comments on this thread. I've had a flick through the viewpoint characters and I'm not impressed. No Tyrion, Jon or Dany?

I still can't wait to crack on with it though. Never been this excited about a series before. Its taking every little bit of strength to not not click on those spoiler tags up there ^^ ill resist temptation (hopefully)
yeah book four killed my love for it as it had none of my fave characters in it i just couldnt get through it
TWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 14:46
Gregg_LUFC
Inactive Member

Hi

Just started reading the first book. I'm up to date so far with the tv series but was wondering how long it took everyone to get through all of the books.

I want to be up to/finished the 4th book by the time the 4th series comes out next year.

Really enjoying the books so far but have to admit there is a lot of characters to remember
Gregg_LUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 18:27
Robertfitz
Forum Member

Hi

Just started reading the first book. I'm up to date so far with the tv series but was wondering how long it took everyone to get through all of the books.

I want to be up to/finished the 4th book by the time the 4th series comes out next year.

Really enjoying the books so far but have to admit there is a lot of characters to remember
I started in the middle of March and I'm half way through book 4 now
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55
ironjade
Forum Member

So GRRM is writing his own book and not the one you want or expect. Get over it, he's under no obligation to keep anyone alive, sympathetic or otherwise. It's not Lord of the Rings.
ironjade is online now   Reply With Quote