Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

John Partridge on EastEnders Gay Characters...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50
vaslav37
Forum Member

Before I get beaten down JP has spoken to DS about the fact that the show now has no gay characters since Chryed left.. So clearly JP is recognising this too...
vaslav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54
lordOfTime
Forum Member

Bring in hot new gays he says. Again I ask the question what does their temperature have to do with it.
lordOfTime is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56
rumpleteazer
Forum Member

And you couldn't have added this to one of your other threads because? This just looks like we've jumped into a conversation half way though without hearing the rest
rumpleteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27
JayPee86
Inactive Member

Well they only recently left... Give it time.
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11
los.kav
Forum Member

That's the same interview he gave after Chryed left. They just dressed it up and put it out under a different title. The comments they're quoting are from that older interview though.
los.kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44
towers
Forum Member

That's the same interview he gave after Chryed left. They just dressed it up and put it out under a different title. The comments they're quoting are from that older interview though.
I suspect it to be the case too.

JP once said that he left with Marc Elliott not just to give Chryed a happy ending - such as it was - but because the writing for EE's only gay couple was poor, so I don't think John would want to see new gay characters rushed into the show without proper thought behind it.

The OP should remember that Christian and Syed were badly written for by the producers and shouldn't want to see new gay characters treated the same way.
towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:03
hetty100
Inactive Member

I want Danny back
hetty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:15
Harlowe
Forum Member

vaslav37 why don't you write in and complain about the lack of gay or lesbian representation in the soap, you seem quite pressed with the matter for EE to have some kind of gay character in the show, it doesn't really have much effect on here other then being vetoed.
Harlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:17
cybersq
Forum Member

Bring in hot new gays he says. Again I ask the question what does their temperature have to do with it.
Keep the rest of the cast warm by hugging them
cybersq is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:18
cybersq
Forum Member

The Interview today is from the Sun
cybersq is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:36
klendathu
Forum Member

Vaslav hot gay thread number 634
klendathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 13:41
felixrex
Forum Member

Oh well, if John Partridge says it then it must be an undeniable truth. It couldn't possibly just be a simple case of more than one person sharing a similar opinion about something. Anybody who disagrees with you must be wrong if John Partridge; one of the greatest minds of the 21st century; is backing you up.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, Partridge said something along the lines of 'bring in some hot new gay guys!!'. How enlightened.
felixrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:25
ravensborough
Forum Member

Surely what any soap needs are interesting characters. Their sexuality is irrelevant. And why does John Partridge want hot gay characters? What's wrong with normal looking gay characters?
ravensborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:27
rumpleteazer
Forum Member

Surely what any soap needs are interesting characters. Their sexuality is irrelevant. And why does John Partridge want hot gay characters? What's wrong with normal looking gay characters?
Didn't you know that you can't pass the gay qualification test without being at least a 9 (out of 10) on the hotness scale? Uggo's need not apply

I am of course joking before anyone gets uppity
rumpleteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:35
Hit Em Up Style
Forum Member

You know it does have to be said that Syed and Christian were completely wasted once Diderick Santer left EastEnders. Christian for his final year in the show may have just been an extra.
Hit Em Up Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:57
OhWhenTheSaints
Forum Member

For goodness sake, they've been gone 5 minutes! EE shouldn't bring in another gay character UNLESS it's the right time. Just bringing in somebody purely to be the token gay guy is a little demeaning to homosexuality, surely??
OhWhenTheSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 17:04
Shannon_William
Forum Member

why do the gay characters have to be men??
Shannon_William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 17:10
broadshoulder
Forum Member

For goodness sake, they've been gone 5 minutes! EE shouldn't bring in another gay character UNLESS it's the right time. Just bringing in somebody purely to be the token gay guy is a little demeaning to homosexuality, surely??
Have you seen the new bbc 'love' trailer?

Its all straight couples. There is minimal to zero representation on the bbc. At the moment even tokenism would be welcome.

I dont think ln is the right producer to do it though.
broadshoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 17:18
OhWhenTheSaints
Forum Member

Have you seen the new bbc 'love' trailer?

Its all straight couples. There is minimal to zero representation on the bbc. At the moment even tokenism would be welcome.

I dont think ln is the right producer to do it though.
That's not the issue here is it. We're talking about EastEnders, not the whole of the BBC. Bring somebody in and if they're homosexual, fair enough but don't bring them in BECAUSE they're homosexual.
Old 02-01-2013, 18:19
broadshoulder
Forum Member

That's not the issue here is it. We're talking about EastEnders, not the whole of the BBC. Bring somebody in and if they're homosexual, fair enough but don't bring them in BECAUSE they're homosexual.
As far as i remember ee is part of the bbc. Its a problem across the channel

As i said i think ln is too interested in tweeny romances to do it properly.
broadshoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:27
Superstar99
Forum Member

But the whole point of creating a character is going to be based around their sexuality. They can't just make up a character for a storyline without the sexuality being part of it can they! Every single character that has ever been gay in soap or TV/film and their sexuality plays a large part in the reason they are there.

Soaps have always had most of their storylines based on relationships and families, sexuality therefore plays a major role in that so you can't just cast someone who is homosexual but that wasn't in the planning!
Superstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:28
klendathu
Forum Member

Dont worry Im sure there will be some fresh gay males arriving soon on the square. I'll give it until the 1st March.
There are empty boxes that have to be ticked dont you know
klendathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:29
Stupid_Head
Forum Member

I'd prefer interesting characters brought in first, not more attractive actors who can't actually act. The soap is overrun with those.
Stupid_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:30
OhWhenTheSaints
Forum Member

But the whole point of creating a character is going to be based around their sexuality. They can't just make up a character for a storyline without the sexuality being part of it can they! Every single character that has ever been gay in soap or TV/film and their sexuality plays a large part in the reason they are there.

Soaps have always had most of their storylines based on relationships and families, sexuality therefore plays a major role in that so you can't just cast someone who is homosexual but that wasn't in the planning!
Okay maybe I've worded it wrong. What I meant is why create a homosexual storyline just for the shire publicity? If bringing in a gay character is right at the time then do it...But don't just bring one in purely because there aren't any at the moment.
Old 02-01-2013, 18:34
Joe_Zel
Forum Member

If they're gonna be hammy stage school vest wearers then I'd rather they didn't bother.

Where's all the normal, average looking homosexuals? Although having said that, Christian and Syed were hardly the best looking blokes in the world were they? Lol.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote