Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Perfection - new series of this quiz show on BBC1

Old 02-01-2013, 23:49
Orangecrab
Forum Member

The new series started today in the 3:45 afternoon slot on BBC1, presented by Nick Knowles as before. Any thoughts on it? Did this quiz used to be on BBC2 in the same way as Pointless once was?

The questions were not too taxing for the most part today. One of the questions demanding a true or false response was "Isaac Newton invented cat food". This turned out to be false.
Orangecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-01-2013, 16:32
iceyc
Forum Member

Yeah, it used to be on BBC2. I like it, better than Breakaway anyway.
iceyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:35
jackbell
Forum Member

Yes I'm watching this too. Seems to be very good. I'm a bit of a TV quiz nut of late - 1001 Things You Should Know, Pointless and Eggheads (of course).
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:37
IJoinedInMay
Forum Member

Yeah, it used to be on BBC2. I like it, better than Breakaway anyway.
I prefer Breakaway by far. I find Perfection to be boring in all honesty. I think it's a combination of being a bit slow, and the advantage being with the other 4 contestants in their attempts to achieve "Perfection".
IJoinedInMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08
The Gatherer
Forum Member

Perfection is currently my favourite quiz. Love The Chase and Pointless but I do think they could do with a rest from being on almost 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year. Can't stand Breakaway.
The Gatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58
FM Lover
Forum Member

With a bit of time on my hands I caught Perfection for the first time this week.

Elements of a few quizzes in there most notably Sell Ne The Answer but without the obvious greed.

Enjoyed the couple of episodes I have seen and look forward to 3.45 today
FM Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 17:10
noleysgirl
Forum Member

Just been watching on the iplayer. Great quiz, good amount of questions and I like the negotiations at the end. I feel the better episodes will be those where a Usual Suspect joins the main player.
noleysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 17:13
The Gatherer
Forum Member

Just been watching on the iplayer. Great quiz, good amount of questions and I like the negotiations at the end. I feel the better episodes will be those where a Usual Suspect joins the main player.
Yes, that is true. The only drawback with Perfection is that it needs a few episodes to build the jackpot up to make it worthwhile for someone to come down. And then when the jackpot's won, it then needs another few episodes again. It would be better if the jackpot started at 5,000.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:53
PrinceOfDenmark
Forum Member

The producers of this show seem to assume the viewers are idiots. If the contestant has guessed 3/4 correct and the first one is revealed to be the wrong answer, they still proceed to go through the next 3 questions as though there is some kind of tension involved in revealing the answers
PrinceOfDenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 18:17
DFI
Forum Member

There's not the remotest possibility that the "random" selection of which "Usual Suspect" is going to play the next game is actually random.

As soon as the jackpot is won, the US who has been there the longest....say more than 5 games..... and sat through the most games without playing winning, NEVER gets picked. It's always a newbie to US that gets picked until the jackpot is built up to an acceptable level to make it worth the one who has been there the longest bothering
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:29
Cathye143
Forum Member

I like this format. It's the only quiz show that has held my attention into another series and where I felt disappointed when the previous series finished. It is deceptively simple and can be won through lucky guessing. As another poster mentioned, it gets more interesting when the main contestant is hoping to 'buy' some help, although that sometimes comes unstuck, as in the first game today!

The 'usual suspect ' who offered to come down and help for 2000 then admitted that he thought the answers were all correct and he just wanted a share in the cash. However, the main contestant had been having second thoughts about one of the answers and took the chance to change it, even though the US tried to dissuade him.

If he'd left that answer as it was, he would have had Perfection; as it was, it cost him the 6000 prize money and the 'helper' also left the show empty-handed.

I like the format of True or False and have learnt all kinds of useless but interesting information. It would be very annoying if they didn't reveal the correct answers.

Last edited by Cathye143 : 31-01-2013 at 18:32. Reason: To add something I've just thought of!
Cathye143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03
The Gatherer
Forum Member

The producers of this show seem to assume the viewers are idiots. If the contestant has guessed 3/4 correct and the first one is revealed to be the wrong answer, they still proceed to go through the next 3 questions as though there is some kind of tension involved in revealing the answers
No they don't - they go through them to explain why an answer is false and give the correct one. You need to pay more attention.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07
The Gatherer
Forum Member

I like this format. It's the only quiz show that has held my attention into another series and where I felt disappointed when the previous series finished. It is deceptively simple and can be won through lucky guessing. As another poster mentioned, it gets more interesting when the main contestant is hoping to 'buy' some help, although that sometimes comes unstuck, as in the first game today!

The 'usual suspect ' who offered to come down and help for 2000 then admitted that he thought the answers were all correct and he just wanted a share in the cash. However, the main contestant had been having second thoughts about one of the answers and took the chance to change it, even though the US tried to dissuade him.

If he'd left that answer as it was, he would have had Perfection; as it was, it cost him the 6000 prize money and the 'helper' also left the show empty-handed.

I like the format of True or False and have learnt all kinds of useless but interesting information. It would be very annoying if they didn't reveal the correct answers.
Yes that was a classic. The older guy didn't seem at all bothered that he'd lost 6,000 whereas the younger one was having a go at him for changing the answer, thus losing him 2,000 when he'd been bluffing in the first place! So pleased the younger one lost - he was pretty thick and pretty obnoxious and basically tried to win 2,000 on the coat tails of the other guy.
Old 01-02-2013, 14:38
cheshirechesse
Forum Member

Yes that was a classic. The older guy didn't seem at all bothered that he'd lost 6,000 whereas the younger one was having a go at him for changing the answer, thus losing him 2,000 when he'd been bluffing in the first place! So pleased the younger one lost - he was pretty thick and pretty obnoxious and basically tried to win 2,000 on the coat tails of the other guy.
I wondered if he had changed the answer knowing that it would make it wrong to spoil the young guys chance.
I would have
cheshirechesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:03
Ed Sizzers
Forum Member

Can't get into it. True/False questions are never that interesting, the concept is blah and, most importantly, Knowles is a charisma vacuum.
Ed Sizzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 19:21
Cathye143
Forum Member

I wondered if he had changed the answer knowing that it would make it wrong to spoil the young guys chance.
I would have
I think it was genuine, and part of the reason for accepting help from the US so that he could then change it. Would you really give up 6000 just to deprive someone else of 2000 ?

Last edited by Cathye143 : 01-02-2013 at 19:33. Reason: To correct errors
Old 01-02-2013, 19:30
Cathye143
Forum Member

Can't get into it. True/False questions are never that interesting, the concept is blah and, most importantly, Knowles is a charisma vacuum.
I don't agree. It introduces an element of luck into the game, which to some extent makes up for the US choosing categories for the final round. It also allows a much wider range of questions than you could have if contestants needed to know the right answer. And it keeps up the pace, unlike many other quiz shows that I've seen.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:12
jackbell
Forum Member

I really like it now. And I didn't think I'd like Nick Knowles but I actually do.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:04
Lizaj
Forum Member

Was it mean of me to shot "Yeeess" when the" knowlegeable Hilary" changed the Dad's Army question to False?Probably although the young man would have lost anyway but I couldn't help it!
Lizaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:22
Caltonfan
Forum Member

the ones on just now arent new episodes are they? pretty sure i have seen them before still a good quiz though
Caltonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 15:46
noleysgirl
Forum Member

18000 won just now. Pretty exciting stuff!
noleysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 15:48
Ed Sizzers
Forum Member

Still a blah quiz, but Laura certainly lives up to the title of the show.
Ed Sizzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 16:01
badvoc
Forum Member

Lovely Laura was a treat.
badvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 17:49
IJoinedInMay
Forum Member

I prefer Breakaway by far. I find Perfection to be boring in all honesty. I think it's a combination of being a bit slow, and the advantage being with the other 4 contestants in their attempts to achieve "Perfection".
I still don't love it but the show has grown on me since my previous post (see above).
IJoinedInMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 17:57
OpEd
Inactive Member

The new series started today in the 3:45 afternoon slot on BBC1, presented by Nick Knowles as before. Any thoughts on it? Did this quiz used to be on BBC2 in the same way as Pointless once was?

The questions were not too taxing for the most part today. One of the questions demanding a true or false response was "Isaac Newton invented cat food". This turned out to be false.
See this is why you can't invest your trust in these poorly researched shams of shows. While there is no "proof" that Newton invented cat food, it is pretty well established that cats didn't eat before Newton. Which pretty much pretty well is proof enough.
OpEd is offline   Reply With Quote