Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Back To Camelot: Merlin Series 1 discussion thread (beginning Saturday 5th January)

Old 05-01-2013, 18:25
Smint
Forum Member

Well, going out shortly, but have watched the episode, so here are the results of my Merlin Bingo (I did a card and everything!)

I'll put it in spoilers for the moment in case it gives anything away

Merlin Bingo Card Series 1 Episode 1

Spoiler

And one comment from me:

Spoiler
Smint is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-01-2013, 18:27
Avi8
Forum Member

Spoilers in tags Avi, some of us havn't watched it yet
Oops.

I did resist saying why Merlin was where he was so that that wouldn't spoil it for everyone.
Avi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:38
star89
Forum Member

Oops.

I did resist saying why Merlin was where he was so that that wouldn't spoil it for everyone.
You do know I was joking don't you?
star89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:40
MikeAP001
Forum Member

Mike, I think you should add that your post contains a little speculation. As far as I know, the spin off idea is at the moment wishful thinking that might or might not happen with absolutely no guarantee of a 2014 air date (unlikely in my opinion). If all episodes are shown back to back, one per week starting from today, the final episode of series 5 will be shown on 29th March 2014.
Too late to edit but I think it's not too much of an over step. Besides, that date would be perfect--- IF there are Sequels!

Happy with that bit of hedging? Okay, how's this then:

SPECULATION!!!

TPTB announce the Sequel at the Comic Cons Spring to Mid Summer, casting call beginning in Summer-FAll 2013, from January 2014 to March 30 2014 the writers should have the initial scripts and story line sketched out and the initial stories ready for filming with the initial read through around mid March. Pierrefonds renos would be completed by then, and initial shooting could start in April 2014. The initial block of shows would be done for the 2014 Comic Cons.

And, I'd re-run the last series so that it ends just before Autumn 2014 to rev up interest and assure a good opening night.

I know the BBC isn't interested in things like profits, money or ratings but now that MERLIN is in the hands of ... well, HUMANS who are... that's how a free market capitalist would run things. And, there are plenty of those in other parts of the world.
MikeAP001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:41
Avi8
Forum Member

You do know I was joking don't you?
I bloody well hope so!
Avi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:50
Leandra5
Forum Member

Spoiler
I wondered that too. A symbol of his domination over all things magic, perhaps? Still doesn't really make sense. I wonder, might this be the first Plot Hole of the series...?
Leandra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:52
Lowri
Forum Member

Too late to edit but I think it's not too much of an over step. Besides, that date would be perfect--- IF there are Sequels!

Happy with that bit of hedging? Okay, how's this then:

SPECULATION!!!

TPTB announce the Sequel at the Comic Cons Spring to Mid Summer, casting call beginning in Summer-FAll 2013, from January 2014 to March 30 2014 the writers should have the initial scripts and story line sketched out and the initial stories ready for filming with the initial read through around mid March. Pierrefonds renos would be completed by then, and initial shooting could start in April 2014. The initial block of shows would be done for the 2014 Comic Cons.

And, I'd re-run the last series so that it ends just before Autumn 2014 to rev up interest and assure a good opening night.

I know the BBC isn't interested in things like profits, money or ratings but now that MERLIN is in the hands of ... well, HUMANS who are... that's how a free market capitalist would run things. And, there are plenty of those in other parts of the world.
Yes, that would do it!
That sounds like a great plan to me, as long as the writers are very good, the overall tone doesn't change too much (although a bit happier would be nice) and 50% ish of the main characters who were left standing should be there, after all it's more Merlin we want
I know that it's not technically a spin off if everyone is the same but I'm finding it hard to let go, ok?
Lowri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:54
Kargo
Forum Member

All ready! It feels like I'm going back to 2008
Kargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:56
Lowri
Forum Member

I wondered that too. A symbol of his domination over all things magic, perhaps? Still doesn't really make sense. I wonder, might this be the first Plot Hole of the series...?
It's an emblem which pops up throughout several fantasy worlds and I generally take it mean strength and power. Although in some cases it can also mean honour and magical ability.
In other cases, I think they use it because it looks pretty. Of course, it is a suitable emblem for the Pendragons. Cadiva (I'm thinking you'll know this), where did that name come from? Is it a coincidence that Pen is the Welsh for head? Was it once Penddraig?
Lowri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:03
Kargo
Forum Member

Ah it was such a different show back then Colin looks so much younger
Old 05-01-2013, 19:04
Leandra5
Forum Member

Always a possibility!

Right, here's a list of previous suggestions plus a few more I've added - I suggest that for the Bingo, people pick any 16 at random and either cross them off or combine them with the drinking game - or you can make up your own Bingo card!

(In spoilers as the list is long!)

Spoiler
Great list - rewatching ep 1 is going to be bittersweet, but some of these really made me laugh.

Surely this one ought to count double, given the torrent of salty tears the finale is responsible for on both sides of the ocean: "Someone talks about the great kingdom Merlin and Arthur will build/says Arthur will create Albion".

Also, we might need to add this one to the list:

*Every time a female character turns out to be either a victim or perpetrator of dangerous enchantments.
Leandra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:06
The Hedge Witch
Forum Member

Greetings, I an new to DS but would love to join in the Merlin series 1 discussion.

I was pursuing your thread this morning, and had intended only to lurk, but when I began to read the posts and found myself calling out at the screen ..... "Clotpole was first used in Series 2 - The Curse of Cornelius Sigan" - in the stables" I realised that I really did want to speak out.

So I signed up to DS, got accepted and have prepared a New Zealand sauvignon blanc for the drinking game. .... Cheers
The Hedge Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:11
bgtension
Inactive Member

Morgana is such a pushover
bgtension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:11
Kargo
Forum Member

"The more brutal you are the more enemies you will create" - The words of Morgana right from the off
Old 05-01-2013, 19:12
bgtension
Inactive Member

It's Gwen from Torchwood
bgtension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:20
Kargo
Forum Member

I forgot Gwen had a crush on Merlin at the start
Old 05-01-2013, 19:22
CaptainSensible
Forum Member

<idiot>But "Gwen" should be white! Wah wah wah...</idiot>

Really odd watching this again
CaptainSensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:04
MikeAP001
Forum Member

Yes, that would do it!
That sounds like a great plan to me, as long as the writers are very good, the overall tone doesn't change too much (although a bit happier would be nice) and 50% ish of the main characters who were left standing should be there, after all it's more Merlin we want
I know that it's not technically a spin off if everyone is the same but I'm finding it hard to let go, ok?
Can't comment... Smint's game had me at my limit once the Great Dragon showed...
MikeAP001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:45
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

Do we actually know they are going to show all 5 series or are we just hoping that they will?
Midnight Moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:57
Natarhi
Forum Member

Okay, I'm officially sad - I've just written out both lists by hand (Bingo and drinking) ahead of tonight!
And the bottle of Absolut is ready and waiting!!
I love Absolut, especially the raspberry one. Can't drink this week but next week I will be.

And I've got my bingo list ready too. Here's what I got (in spoilers for length):
Spoiler

I am happy to do the tally for the episodes and keep a record - I have a spreadsheet and everything. There can be graphs! (I am a tech girl)
Well we'll leave that to you then. Can the graph have pretty colours?

Do we actually know they are going to show all 5 series or are we just hoping that they will?
No we don't know. I very much doubt that they'll do all five. It'll almost certainly be all of series 1, and if we're lucky series 2 as well. I'd be surprised if it continues uninterrupted beyond that, although they may well show them all eventually.
Natarhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:00
Natarhi
Forum Member

Duplicate.
Old 05-01-2013, 21:05
Natarhi
Forum Member

Can't comment... Smint's game had me at my limit once the Great Dragon showed...
Didn't anyone read my health warning?!? I told you Smint's game is bingo, you're not supposed drink to it, just cross them off. If you've gone and drunk yourself comatose then it's your own fault.
Old 05-01-2013, 21:06
owlycherries
Forum Member

Soo who's here then? Natarhi!

Merlin looks so cute and young in the Dragon's Call I've never really appreciated it before, but he's got really nice hair.

I have missed nice Morgana. She used to be so lovely.

Does anyone else find the tent scene really scary I normally have to close my eyes because it really creeps me out, but I kept them open this time
owlycherries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:10
missyhoneybee
Forum Member

[/spoiler]
And one comment from me:

Spoiler
[/quote]

Perhaps to show off and / or remind people that he had defeated them all.
missyhoneybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:14
star89
Forum Member

Didn't anyone read my health warning?!? I told you Smint's game is bingo, you're not supposed drink to it, just cross them off. If you've gone and drunk yourself comatose then it's your own fault.
You'l be pleased to know that I A did not drink and B didn't play bingo because I didn't watch it.
I had to hold back a laugh when the Dragon says 'the fate of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy'. Holding back a laugh while saying well that kingdom's doomed

Soo who's here then? Natarhi!

Merlin looks so cute and young in the Dragon's Call I've never really appreciated it before, but he's got really nice hair.

I have missed nice Morgana. She used to be so lovely.

Does anyone else find the tent scene really scary I normally have to close my eyes because it really creeps me out, but I kept them open this time
I miss nice Morgana so much

Merlin is very cute isn't he and Gwen too. I LOVE series 1

My favourite part is the end. ''You will be rewarded. This merits something quite special. You will be Prince Arthur's man servant.'' Wow!! what a reward
star89 is offline   Reply With Quote