Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

3G Tethering On Unlimited Plans That State "No Tethering"?

Old 04-01-2013, 00:30
ajh94
Forum Member

I have been looking online, O2, Vodafone & Orange only have limited data plans with tethering available, I currently get 3GB on Orange with tethering included. Only Three and T-Mobile offer unlimited data, T-Mobile don't offer tethering on The Full Monty but do on the limited plans and Three only offer tethering on The One Plan with unlimited data.

My question is If I got a SIM only on T-Mobile The Full Monty or a Three SIM Only with AYCE data but not The One Plan would I still be able to tether now and again, I use Android so it's not blocked or anything and I literally only tether like once every few months so don't want to pay especially for tethering and minutes I won't use.

I know Three flash up a page saying no tethering! Do T-Mobile do that as well? Also are Three and T-Mobile just as good at catching people tethering that shouldn't be or would you get away with it more on one vs the other?

I would rather use Three for like 12 rather than than T-Mobile as for what they charge for unlimited I could just get the one plan... But I was just wondering what one would you get away with unlimited tethering best?

I'm not changing from Orange for a while either, i'm simply curious :P

Surely if it's just a small amount of data now and again (hardly ever) neither network would notice?

Thanks!
ajh94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Go with virgin, they do the same plan as three but with tethering allowed l. There is a thread about it on the first page by wavejock. Read through it as it answers the questions here.

Three and tmobile both have a blocked page and can both see when you're tethering.
jabbamk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23
moox
Forum Member

Three do deep packet inspection, if any traffic is detected that is most likely coming from a PC they will shut the connection down and redirect everything to a page telling you to stop tethering.

They also detect if a phone SIM card is used in a (3 branded?) dongle, particularly when you have unlimited data.

I haven't found T-Mobile to care about my tethering, but I do not have unlimited data and only use it sparingly. I have an iPhone and they haven't even turned the tethering feature off.
moox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30
plymouthbloke1974
Forum Member

I'm so glad I got the early version of The Full Monty
plymouthbloke1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33
jabbamk1
Forum Member

I'm so glad I got the early version of The Full Monty
Lucky

Yep what moox said is 100% correct. T-mobile do the same with the blocked page.

But then again I know people with 3 payg ayce sims who use like 60gb a month and three don't care. Where as others get cut off straight away for just mentioning tethering
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39
moox
Forum Member

Lucky

Yep what moox said is 100% correct. T-mobile do the same with the blocked page.

But then again I know people with 3 payg ayce sims who use like 60gb a month and three don't care. Where as others get cut off straight away for just mentioning tethering
This was over a year ago with someone else's PAYG AYCE SIM but I noticed that 3 only appear to detect dongles that they sold.

I have a 3 branded HSPA+ dongle and an Ericsson 3G card in my laptop. The 3 dongle didn't work, everything was redirected to a "put the SIM back in a phone" page, with the laptop it was fine as I guess the IMEI isn't recognised. Traffic wise web browsing seemed to work, I didn't try much else.

Apparently Dropbox and iTunes cause the connection to shut down as it's quite obviously not things a phone could be doing.
moox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:55
ajh94
Forum Member

Ah I see so both have the blocked page but it's kinda pot luck if you will be caught, I see some people always get caught and some never do (on 3). So would you get away with it more on T-Mobile as they don't inspect as much as 3 or is it hard to say?

Plymouth how come u still have tethering allowed on Tmo then?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:01
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Hard to say, you'd probably get away with it more on t-mobile. Actually thinkingbabout it, the people who get blocked on three are the guys who've just signed up where as the people getting away with it have been doing so for years.

Plymouth has tethering because the early full monty allowed tethering but they soon stopped allowing it.

Btw did you check out the 12 virgin deal?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16
ajh94
Forum Member

I will actually as it sounds like a good deal with tethering included as well
Old 04-01-2013, 02:26
Step666
Forum Member

I would say you're more likely to get blocked on T-Mobile.
AFAIK, since they removed tethering from the Full Monty tariffs, everyone gets blocked.
Step666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49
BrightSparks
Forum Member

T-Mobile do offer tethering on full monty plan buts its about 5-6 extra option
BrightSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05
plymouthbloke1974
Forum Member

I would say you're more likely to get blocked on T-Mobile.
AFAIK, since they removed tethering from the Full Monty tariffs, everyone gets blocked.
Not true, I can still tether ok
plymouthbloke1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Although I only have 2 GB of Internet, I can tether as much as I want with O2. P
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07
bobbycharlton1
Forum Member

I am with THREE on the ONE plan which has unlimited data, and it ALLOWS tethering no problems
bobbycharlton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46
Dan 8t1
Forum Member

I am with THREE on the ONE plan which has unlimited data, and it ALLOWS tethering no problems
The OP is aware of tethering being allowed on the One Plan, his question is whether he would be able to get away with occasional tethering on one of the cheaper Three tariffs with unlimited data.
Dan 8t1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:29
jabbamk1
Forum Member

I think Step meant for new users. Not people like yourself on the original full monty

Although I only have 2 GB of Internet, I can tether as much as I want with O2. P
You mean within 2GB right? That's because usually networks with data limits let you tether as part of their allowance where as networks who give you unlimited data for say 12 would rather not let you tether as using 700GB tethering for 12 is just not sustainable to the network You're more likely to use much less on a phone.

I will actually as it sounds like a good deal with tethering included as well
It's an excellent deal. I just found i can get 15%| off as a student as well so i'm happy. Just be aware there is a 10GB speed cap but you say you have 3GB atm so this won't affect you.
Old 04-01-2013, 13:57
ajh94
Forum Member

Yeah this is for in a year when my Orange contract is up, i'm okay with 3GB at the moment but wanting more when I can and want a SIM only next too
Old 04-01-2013, 19:03
carguy143
Forum Member

Yeah this is for in a year when my Orange contract is up, i'm okay with 3GB at the moment but wanting more when I can and want a SIM only next too
If you use a site like quidco you can get cash back to make the sim only deals more affordable.
carguy143 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:35
Step666
Forum Member

I think Step meant for new users. Not people like yourself on the original full monty
This.

Your tariff includes tethering, if the OP were to sign up to a Full Monty plan now, it would not and they would be blocked from using it without paying a charge in advance.
Step666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 22:45
legends wear 7

if all tethering was to a tablet would i be right to assume three would not pick this UP as It is still coming from a mobile device
legends wear 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 00:59
ajh94
Forum Member

I only really tether now and again, very rarely, probably like once every 2 months only using like 300mb, and it's tethering to my retina MacBook pro. It just seems like a waste of money paying for the one plan when I don't tether that often and i will never use 2000 minutes, the 200 minutes of the cheaper plan seems perfect
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19
Roush
Forum Member

This.

Your tariff includes tethering, if the OP were to sign up to a Full Monty plan now, it would not and they would be blocked from using it without paying a charge in advance.
I'm on the 'new' Full Monty and I can still tether without issues.
Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06
bobbycharlton1
Forum Member

I only really tether now and again, very rarely, probably like once every 2 months only using like 300mb, and it's tethering to my retina MacBook pro. It just seems like a waste of money paying for the one plan when I don't tether that often and i will never use 2000 minutes, the 200 minutes of the cheaper plan seems perfect
if you have a monthly contract sim with THREE, you can simply add the tethering option for 5. Then the month after if you dont need it, remove it. only add it when needed.
bobbycharlton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27
finbaar
Forum Member

I have tethered with no problems on Giff Gaff but this was with an Android phone tethering other Android devices so I don't see how this could be detected. I have also heard of a USB tether for PCs by Chainfire that us undectable.
finbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:33
jabbamk1
Forum Member

yeh like myself and Moox say in my earlier posts. Three and T-Mobile do have ways to block you. But like i said i know people who've been getting away with it for years. I know that there are a few ways around by using USB apps on your phone like finbaar said.

But tbh i'd never sign up to a 24 month contract (without tethering) with the plan to tether 24/7 as the company can cut you off any time for breaching the T&C.

It's why we had a lot of Giff Gaff complaints this time last year. It said in their T&C that tethering was not allowed and so they started to cut off heavy users of tethering and people started to complain. Thing was they should have read the T&C before they even attempted tethering. So like i said it's better to sign up to a plan with tethering that one without and run the risk of getting cut off anytime.