Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nook in trouble?!

Old 03-01-2013, 23:41
Mandark
Forum Member

Saw on Bloomberg TV that Nook tablets (and presumably the ereaders) didn't sell well this Christmas. Implies that the onslaught from the iPad, Kindle and Nexus 7 was all too much. The tablets and ereaders are pretty much the last throw of the dice for Barnes and Noble. Are they on a downward spiral like Rim with Blackberry?!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...k-devices.html
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-04-2013, 17:50
Mandark
Forum Member

And a follow up to my last post, Nook's are now on sale at Currys for 29. Bargain as you can use the Nook store, which is decent (I have the app) and the epub standard for which there is loads of free stuff.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...-pc-world.html
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 19:28
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

I've just ordered one. I have a kindle paperwhite but its so cheap I might as well give it a go.
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 19:56
IvanIV
Forum Member

Funny thing, I went through several phones during the same time I have my good old Kindle Keyboard 3G It just refuses to break down and I refuse to get something new before that happens. I guess the paperwhite light makes me reluctant.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 21:04
InsideSoap
Forum Member

Got a Paperwhite from Currys today (and a gift card with 2 on ) on Instant Replacement for my old Kindle Keyboard and have a Kindle 4 Wi-Fi. Love the Paperwhite so far. Don't know why anyone would use an ereader other than a Kindle. Aaaaaaaand go!...
InsideSoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57
alanwarwic
Forum Member

There is also the fact that Microsoft supposedly supported Barnes and Noble the to the tune of $300 million.

So there is just a small maybe they are re-branding to Microsoft. However, it is quite common for walled garden systems to be subsidised with the aim of selling more content.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:30
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

There is also the fact that Microsoft supposedly supported Barnes and Noble the to the tune of $300 million.

So there is just a small maybe they are re-branding to Microsoft. However, it is quite common for walled garden systems to be subsidised with the aim of selling more content.
I think they are going in the opposite direction. They have just updated their tablet range with access to google play. Their ereaders always supported epubs bought from other stores.

I recieved my Nook yesterday. I have to say the hardware is pretty solid and it is easy to use. It's a shame that they are doing so badly because they have quality products from what I can see, unlike Kobo for example. I still prefer my kindle but it was well worth the 49.
Old 08-05-2013, 18:06
alanwarwic
Forum Member

I think they are going in the opposite direction. They have just updated their tablet range with access to google play. Their ereaders always supported epubs bought from other stores.
There was also a suggestion here that they were maybe abandoning the market whilst my initial thought was of a cash flow problem.
With regards to tablets, the Nook app store was just too empty, and far more so than the Fire.

One thing for sure, mega corps like Google , Microsoft and Apple are the one spilling the shots.
Companies like Barnes and Noble can end up valued as a bit of 'loose change'.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:09
PPhilster
Inactive Member

There was also a suggestion here that they were maybe abandoning the market whilst my initial thought was of a cash flow problem.
With regards to tablets, the Nook app store was just too empty, and far more so than the Fire.

One thing for sure, mega corps like Google , Microsoft and Apple are the one spilling the shots.
Companies like Barnes and Noble can end up valued as a bit of 'loose change'.
Unlike Amazon's tablets the Nook tablets are now completely open to Android apps from the official Google source. The Nook tablets are now a much better deal than Amazon's tablet and a viable competitor to any similar class Android tablet.
PPhilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26
alanwarwic
Forum Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...digital-assets

You can certainly read between the lines and say a deal has already been done.
Microsoft were suing them so deals have created some certainties that a company of their losses can ill afford
Old 12-05-2013, 11:25
Kal_El
Forum Member

...It's a shame that they are doing so badly because they have quality products from what I can see, unlike Kobo for example....
Not sure what you mean here. We use Kobo's exclusively and they are absolutely fantastic and a really lovely build quality. In fact that was why we chose it over the Kindle, well that and the more open formats it uses.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Not sure what you mean here. We use Kobo's exclusively and they are absolutely fantastic and a really lovely build quality. In fact that was why we chose it over the Kindle, well that and the more open formats it uses.
I guess we all have different preferences but I found the kobo glow to be too plasticy. It felt hollow and like a toy. The kindles and the nook simple touch have more weight and feel more solid and premium to me.
Old 17-05-2013, 12:48
NaturalDancer
Forum Member

And a follow up to my last post, Nook's are now on sale at Currys for 29. Bargain as you can use the Nook store, which is decent (I have the app) and the epub standard for which there is loads of free stuff.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...-pc-world.html
I've seen them advertised at that price. It's so tempting I nearly bought one as a backup despite having a Kindle and an Android Tablet
NaturalDancer is offline   Reply With Quote