Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How do the BBC decide who should represent us?

Old 04-01-2013, 00:13
Harper_Milne
Forum Member

I've got noo idea how they decide who should represent Eurovision? Do artists themselves put themselves forward, or do they contact them or what? Thanks for the help
Harper_Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-01-2013, 00:18
phill363
Forum Member

Every January they realise they have to have the entry by mid march and go in to a mad panic and immediately phone John Barrowman and Jason Donovan who turn them down. Then they find some one reasonably good who is willing to represent us but Katie Taylor head of entertainment veto's the decision and chooses her own entry instead.
phill363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03
EuroChris
Forum Member

Every January they realise they have to have the entry by mid march and go in to a mad panic and immediately phone John Barrowman and Jason Donovan who turn them down. Then they find some one reasonably good who is willing to represent us but Katie Taylor head of entertainment veto's the decision and chooses her own entry instead.
That sounds about right.
EuroChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 16:35
Harper_Milne
Forum Member

Oh that's interesting thanks... I don't understand why they don't pick someone young and modern but meh.
Harper_Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 17:58
dronkula
Forum Member

After Englebert's placing last year there was a story last summer that the BBC was going to drop the 'they pick the entry' route and go back to a national final with the song/performer picked via a TV show.

However, if they were doing that, I would've thought they would've announced something by now.
dronkula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:08
penguinperson
Forum Member

After Englebert's placing last year there was a story last summer that the BBC was going to drop the 'they pick the entry' route and go back to a national final with the song/performer picked via a TV show.

However, if they were doing that, I would've thought they would've announced something by now.
That was made up by the Daily Mail. So the BBC could blame the public not themselves for poorly though out choices
penguinperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19
MissMidgard
Forum Member

Do we even have confirmation that the UK is entering at all?

I am so close to writing the BBC a cover letter explaining why they should take me on for their Eurovision team. I want to get stuff done. The BBC ran a 'rising stars' music workshop in June last year, and I remarked that the Eurovision team should have a scout there. I'm sure they'd have found a bright, promising act to take on. We don't need an established artist, we need someone who can convey the right message.
MissMidgard is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29
phill363
Forum Member

Do we even have confirmation that the UK is entering at all?

I am so close to writing the BBC a cover letter explaining why they should take me on for their Eurovision team. I want to get stuff done. The BBC ran a 'rising stars' music workshop in June last year, and I remarked that the Eurovision team should have a scout there. I'm sure they'd have found a bright, promising act to take on. We don't need an established artist, we need someone who can convey the right message.
Yeah they confirmed a while ago actually and they were on the list of the 39 competing countries.

Yeah they should be looking at new talent, maybe just haing some one high profile selecting and mentioning the act would be enough to grab ratings.
phill363 is offline   Reply With Quote