Old 11-03-2013, 11:37
Swanandduck2
Forum Member

That's a light understatement!

Tonight has seen:

The final of Dancing on ice.
The last in the short series of Top Gear
The last of Mr Selfridge
and the last ever episode of Being human.

Next Sunday has been cancelled!

And the brillilant Call the Midwife finished last night until next year.
Swanandduck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:44
Joni M
Forum Member

The actress that plays Miss Mardle is 38.
She looks really pretty here:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...-bankrupt.html
Joni M is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:46
MoreTears
Forum Member

Are you joking? She looks hideous in that photo, much worse than on the show.
MoreTears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:50
SunnyDaydreamer
Forum Member

I've been watching this but it hasn't impressed me much. There's no real storylines, I don't care for any of the characters other than possibly Agnes and Leclair, and every episode seems to have some historic moment thrown in as the focus. It was okay to watch but it's not like I'm going to miss it.
SunnyDaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 13:00
moondew

When Mr Crabbe was teaching the women to curtsey, he reminded me of Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army

I'm looking forward to the next series - my grandmother worked in Selfridge's during WWI, so it will be interesting to see what the store was like then.
moondew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 14:26
rapunzel4
Forum Member

Roger Grove is the most odious man, willing to ruin the lives of two women to satisfy his own selfish wants. At least Harry has some redeeming character traits.
such a ratbag! hope he fires blanks and doris dumps him
rapunzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 14:33
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Someone earlier in the thread said that the actress (Amanda Abbington) who plays Miss Mardle is Martin Freeman's long-term partner. I hadn't realised that before.

*Edit* - Hadn't clicked the link to the article posted above - it says that as the headline.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 15:19
kwynne42
Forum Member

And the brillilant Call the Midwife finished last night until next year.
Well Christmas anyway, or the end of the Week since their is a mini CTM for Comic Relief.
kwynne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 17:51
myss
Forum Member

I didn't realise that it was the last one. Between this one and the previous episode, I prefer the penultimate one but this was still an okay episode.
Mr Groves and the shop girl! Poor Miss Mardle, talk about the ultimate kick in the teeth. For some reason I thought childbirth from older woman was more or less normal in them days, but I could be wrong. And Miss Love and Frank really had the last laugh on being let down by Harry; she definitely was the lady in the red dress (I believe it was partly shown hanging in her dressing room).
And Henri's letter to Harry, I could have sworn it was addressed to 'Henry' instead!

Daily Mail puts her as 41.
myss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:29
bebecat
Forum Member

Lots of women had their last babies well into their forties at the time. It was just as dangerous to have them in their twenties, in any case. Maybe Grove decided he wanted a flock of kids from a nice young wife and a bit on the side. Maybe he was trying to copy Harry S.
bebecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:55
spaniel-lover
Inactive Member

Perhaps acting jobs should be on PAYE.....
spaniel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00
mickmars
Forum Member

I had to laugh when Miss Mardle was all upset about Mr Mardle getting married.
It was hard not to think "You know full well that you can keep your tax bills separate if don't get married"
mickmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16
roddydogs
Forum Member

Where did the romance between Mr Groves & the shop girl suddenly spring from? did I miss it somewhere along the line?
Did Mr S only go to the play cause the King was there? surely he knew the plays content with all his connections.
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33
DJW13
Forum Member

Where did the romance between Mr Groves & the shop girl suddenly spring from? did I miss it somewhere along the line?
Did Mr S only go to the play cause the King was there? surely he knew the plays content with all his connections.
It was a bit of a jump from having afternoon tea one moment to being engaged the next. It was always on the cards - certainly from when Miss Mardle said she had given the best years of her life to Mr Grove.

I don't think Mr S had a clue about the content - which had been made much more personal by input from his ex-friend.
DJW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 19:09
teacup333
Forum Member

Can there be another series to this?

Did this one follow real life at all and so is there more to his story?
He took up with the Dolly Sisters & died bankrupt

The DS were the Cheeky Girls of their day
teacup333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 13:24
Shevk
Forum Member

I have to say I felt really sorry for Ms Mardle (and Doris) in the last episode. And Rosalie! It must be hard to find out your mum has been struggling with an attraction to the man you saw as a potential suitor.

Tweet from Katherine Kelly, if anyone is doubting Lady Mae's involvement in series two - "Last ep of Mr Selfridge tonight! We best crack on and make some more!!"

I think this proves she isn't leaving as Zoe Tapper is an example of one cast member who has confirmed her exit.

I think series two would be a fitting time for her elusive husband to appear, given the mauling she recieved in her ex-lover's play.
Shevk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 13:30
Leicester_Hunk
Forum Member

And according to the paper yesterday, bankrupt.
Leicester_Hunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 21:16
fayebeatle
Forum Member

Not a big fan but....
fayebeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 21:17
fayebeatle
Forum Member

It's been a bit hit and miss. I thought mr grove was a right bastard. Hope Miss Mardle tells Doris wot a creepy sexist toe rag he is. I like Agnes and her dopey brother and Rose too.
fayebeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 05:50
bebecat
Forum Member

I have to say, my Sunday evenings do have a whole in them...
Old 26-03-2013, 09:14
Mitten Kitten
Forum Member

Don't know if anyone has spotted this. It may be of interest.

'Seduction in the City: The Birth of Shopping' is on at 9.00pm on Wednesday 27th March on Yesterday

http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/item/aid/655993

In 1852, a French entrepreneur, Aristide Boucicaut created the world's first department store, Le Bon Marché. His genius idea? To target the new middle class woman and attract her to a fantasy land where all types of goods were available and where she could go un-chaperoned. The concept was so successful that it was very quickly copied all over the world. Stores like Selfridges in London, Myer in Melbourne, Macy's in New York all invented ever more enticing ideas to attract customers and sell goods in huge numbers - price tags, discounts, public toilets, easy credit and return policies.
Mitten Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 12:30
Nailz
Forum Member

Was this show repeated ?
I wanted to see what it was like but its not on ITV Player or any of the ITV channels.

With series 2 starting next month you would think ITV would try and get more viewers watching the show.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 14:29
DJW13
Forum Member

Was this show repeated ?
I wanted to see what it was like but its not on ITV Player or any of the ITV channels.

With series 2 starting next month you would think ITV would try and get more viewers watching the show.
You may have to buy the DVD (£8 at Amazon) or see if your local library has it.
DJW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:22
bebecat
Forum Member

http://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2...pbs-march-2014

Finally...resumes in March, was wondering where it went...
Old 16-01-2014, 15:45
solare
Forum Member

Was this show repeated ?

They did repeat Series 1 a couple of months ago as I remember getting interested in it (I missed the original run). It may have been on one of the other ITV channels though - I can't remember.

I agree it would be a good idea to repeat Series 1 just before Series 2 (like they usually do with Downton Abbey) but with Series 2 starting on Sunday 19th, it seems that's not going to happen.
solare is offline   Reply With Quote