Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Am I the only one who thinks Ecclestone WILL be back?

Old 05-01-2013, 15:15
garbage456
Forum Member

I know of all the talk about he will never come back, but one thing we have learnt from Doctor Who spoilers is that lies are told as well as red herrings,
garbage456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-01-2013, 15:21
SpringheelJack
Forum Member

Who's Ecclestone?

On a serious note, I hope he does return for a last-hurrah.
SpringheelJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:45
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

I think he will be back for the 50th.
Paradise_Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:54
Corwin
Forum Member

His comments on the possibility of returning have changed over the last few months (basically going from "Never" to "It's Possible").

So I'm fairly sure he will be involved in the Anniversary in some way (doing one of the BFI Q+A Sessions maybe) even if there is no MultiDoc story.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:04
rhynoGB
Forum Member

CH & billy piper have both said they won't be in the 50th..

but

they only have to film quick cameo's in a studio somewhere,we wouldn't know until it came on tv,saying they won't be in it is a red herring to stop us talking about them
rhynoGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:08
Listentome
Forum Member

CH & billy piper have both said they won't be in the 50th..

but

they only have to film quick cameo's in a studio somewhere,we wouldn't know until it came on tv,saying they won't be in it is a red herring to stop us talking about them
CH? Sorry can't think who that is.
Listentome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:12
Corwin
Forum Member

Captain Harkness maybe?

John Barrowman was the other person mentioned in the recent news items about Billie not returning.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:18
GDK
Forum Member

Is it just me or has John Barrowman become just a bit too strident about a return for the 50th lately?

Of course, it's possible the reporting has been misrepresenting his opinions, but the last headline on here felt like he was offended that he's not been asked so far.

I don't mind either way, just as long as the story is good, but he certainly is not entitled to appear.

It felt similar to those fans who insist this or that classic character must be in it.

As regards Christopher Eccleston, he's been in the opposite camp until recently, and should have no axe to grind about Doctor Who any more after appearing in GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra.

GDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:22
SpringheelJack
Forum Member

Moffat wanted Capt Jack back for AGMGTW, but TW:MD got in the way.

So the door isn't closed to Jack returning, I just suspect Moffat will only bring characters back into the 50th it if serves what he has planned.
Old 05-01-2013, 16:24
rhynoGB
Forum Member

i meant chris ecclestone

just got the name mixed up
rhynoGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:25
SpringheelJack
Forum Member

As regards Christopher Eccleston, he's been in the opposite camp until recently, and should have no axe to grind about Doctor Who any more after appearing in GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra.

Eccleston's always been very honest about his film work; he doesn't view Hollywood as a high-brow medium so takes the odd-big budget popcorn movie for the pay, pure and simple.

He considers TV to be a high-art medium and is far more choosy about the projects he takes on.
Old 05-01-2013, 16:29
GDK
Forum Member

Eccleston's always been very honest about his film work; he doesn't view Hollywood as a high-brow medium so takes the odd-big budget popcorn movie for the pay, pure and simple.

He considers TV to be a high-art medium and is far more choosy about the projects he takes on.
Interesting. I caught up with GI Joe on TV over Christmas and had to watch it all the way through because I couldn't believe how bad it was and that he was in it.
Old 05-01-2013, 17:24
garbage456
Forum Member

i meant chris ecclestone

just got the name mixed up
CH

as in CHristopher
garbage456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 17:54
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdU_YxzRjbU

What do the doubters think after watching this?
Old 05-01-2013, 19:40
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

I hope he will be. Tennant's guaranteed but having Eccleston there as well would be so great.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:07
DiscoP
Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdU_YxzRjbU

What do the doubters think after watching this?
From watching the clip I think that Christopher Ecclestone is a fan of Hugh Laurie's, is currently making Thor 2 and hasn't thought about a return to Doctor Who because that's precisely what he says. Should I think anything else?
DiscoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:15
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

From watching the clip I think that Christopher Ecclestone is a fan of Hugh Laurie's, is currently making Thor 2 and hasn't thought about a return to Doctor Who because that's precisely what he says. Should I think anything else?
Well no that is not precisely what he said. Because that's not the question he was answering. Eccleston says he hadn't thought about how they were going to do the 50th episode. However, just before that (you must have missed this part) he was asked if he would like to be involved with it. Nobody from pastWho that is going to be involved will divulge it but the way he answered was very telling (in my opinion of course). If he had no inclination to be involved it's highly likely he would have said so.
Old 05-01-2013, 21:35
DiscoP
Forum Member

Well no that is not precisely what he said. Because that's not the question he was answering. Eccleston says he hadn't thought about how they were going to do the 50th episode. However, just before that (you must have missed this part) he was asked if he would like to be involved with it. Nobody from pastWho that is going to be involved will divulge it but the way he answered was very telling (in my opinion of course). If he had no inclination to be involved it's highly likely he would have said so.
He said something along the lines of if I told you that I would have to shoot you, which could mean literally anything?!? He said that he hasn't even thought about it because it was such a long time ago for him and he hasn't even watched any episodes with Matt Smith in it. Really I can't see how any of this translates to yes I'm going to be in the 50th anniversary.
DiscoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:49
Paradise_Lost
Forum Member

He said something along the lines of if I told you that I would have to shoot you, which could mean literally anything?!?

He said that he hasn't even thought about it because it was such a long time ago for him and he hasn't even watched any episodes with Matt Smith in it. Really I can't see how any of this translates to yes I'm going to be in the 50th anniversary.
Yes, but what is it? "It" being what Moff had in mind for the 50th anniversary episode. Not his potential participation in the eventual said episode. Some people think that because he hasn't watched the show since he left then he must be averse to returning for the 50th. I don't think that's necessarily the case. Honestly, I doubt he'd be interested in watching much of the stuff he acts in if he wasn't involved himself.
Old 05-01-2013, 23:27
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

Lol, you're really clutching straws for that interview to hint at his return.

Judging by his rolling eyes, facial expression and "I'd have to shoot you" he looked like he wanted to say "I f****ing don't" but wanted to be polite to the interviewer.

He's not even thought about IT. It meaning the show, the character, the anniversary, any of it. It was a round about way of saying it was a job I did 8-9 years ago and don't dwell on it anymore than any other jobs.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 23:35
wildbill_hicock
Forum Member

I hope, but I don't think.
wildbill_hicock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 23:37
GDK
Forum Member

Lol, you're really clutching straws for that interview to hint at his return.

Judging by his rolling eyes, facial expression and "I'd have to shoot you" he looked like he wanted to say "I f****ing don't" but wanted to be polite to the interviewer.

He's not even thought about IT. It meaning the show, the character, the anniversary, any of it. It was a round about way of saying it was a job I did 8-9 years ago and don't dwell on it anymore than any other jobs.
I watched the clip after reading your remarks and I didn't see any rolling eyes - he's too good an actor for that! It was a totally neutral response IMO and I couldn't read anything into it either way.

Your last paragraph is spot on though.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:03
dorkjacksn
Forum Member

At the most it'd be a cameo or a little 5 minute scene, but I could still see him making a really minor appearance. But its no big loss if he doesnt.
dorkjacksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:12
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

I watched the clip after reading your remarks and I didn't see any rolling eyes - he's too good an actor for that! It was a totally neutral response IMO and I couldn't read anything into it either way.

Your last paragraph is spot on though.
Lol, I meant him clearly being taken aback by the mention of Doctor Who and looking at the ceiling and looking like he'd rather be 'blunt' about it but holding back to be polite to the interviewer.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37
GDK
Forum Member

Lol, I meant him clearly being taken aback by the mention of Doctor Who and looking at the ceiling and looking like he'd rather be 'blunt' about it but holding back to be polite to the interviewer.
No, sorry, I did not see any of that. I think you're projecting what you think his attitude is onto what's actually there.

It was a perfectly neutral response.