DS Forums

BBC2 Talking Pictures 12:30

Old 09-06-2015, 20:00
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

"Entrepreneur Hilary Devey persuades bosses from companies around Britain to leave their business for three weeks to let the staff take over. First up is homestore Taskers in Aintree."

On now!
Old Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:13
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

No one else watching then?
Old 09-06-2015, 20:22
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

What's she like. Is she in a wheelchair?
anyonefortennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 20:26
Hotgossip
Forum Member

I'm watching. She says her back is bad today and needs her buggy. Maybe she's had back surgery?
Hotgossip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 20:27
phill363
Forum Member

I'm watching and as a retail worker its really fascinating, would love to have a say in how my company is run.
phill363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 20:34
striing
Forum Member

I've got it on because there's nothing else but I'm finding it quite boring.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 20:38
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

But do any of the "Showhome Team" have any experience in that sort of design styling skills. Someone how sells food products does not equal a head chef.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:39
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

But do any of the "Showhome Team" have any experience in that sort of design styling skills. Someone how sells food products does not equal a head chef.
The show home looked terrible when they decorated it. So dated.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:46
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

The redhead gave the interiors doyenne daggers when she walked in to check the room.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:46
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

The show home looked terrible when they decorated it. So dated.
and I don't think the second attempt was much better either.

Certainly not my tastes.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:47
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

and I don't think the second attempt was much better either.

Certainly not my tastes.
It was quite tacky but a bit more more modern looking at least. They like their bling in Liverpool eh eh.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:50
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

The young guy has better ideas than the other women. He should put him in charge. 6 grand a week to rent a glass box??????? I think they saw him coming.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:54
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

Yes but does minus 70% profits pay wages?

0 times high profit expensive items is still 0
Whereas
a small profit is better than none.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:56
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

Do the staff not get anything for all their efforts?
Old 09-06-2015, 20:58
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

So the staff gets a percentage of the profits?
Old 09-06-2015, 21:00
striing
Forum Member

Well I won't be watching that again.

Troubleshooter it wasn't.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

Do the staff not get anything for all their efforts?
I was just about to say Tom should have a promotion or they will lose him and looks like they have made him a manger.

I've worked for companies who have let people just walk out the door with many years of experience and having great workable ideas, including myself, rather than lift a finger to keep them. An arrogant we know better then the likes of you, attitude from the management.
F1etch
Forum Member

They get the knowledge that their efforts raised profits 15% and they have a better chance of remaining for another 15+ years of service and not being unemployed I guess.
THey do say though that you shouldn't go out your way in retail because you get no thanks for it. It always costs too much money, isn't well presented, isn't your target market etc even if it's the dogs b******* because it's their job as manager to constantly find room for improvement and if something is perfect, they can't perform their job.
F1etch is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 21:05
Old Endeavour
Forum Member

They get the knowledge that their efforts raised profits 15% and they have a better chance of remaining for another 15+ years of service and not being unemployed I guess.
THey do say though that you shouldn't go out your way in retail because you get no thanks for it. It always costs too much money, isn't well presented, isn't your target market etc even if it's the dogs b******* because it's their job as manager to constantly find room for improvement and if something is perfect, they can't perform their job.
Well it may not be there target market, but if it's attracting another target market and selling: CHANGE YOUR BLOODY TARGET MARKET THEN!

Snobbish businesses that can't or refuse to change fail every week. In any business the only bottom line is to sell things at a profit. - If you find something that is, then stick with it!
Old 10-06-2015, 00:19
NaturalDancer
Forum Member

Was out but I've recorded it. I saw Hilary being interviewed about the programme it sounded interesting.
NaturalDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 00:35
JamieHT
Forum Member

I really enjoyed it. I liked Hilary on this more than I've seen her before. The boss wasn't very likeable; neither was the representative from the showhome people.
JamieHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:23
RichmondBlue
Forum Member

I thought it was all a bit dull and pointless. How did the staff benefit in the end ? Their jobs are more secure ? Big deal, welcome to Britain in the 21st century.
Hopefully the young guy will have gained enough confidence to move on and start up something for himself.
RichmondBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20
kegsie
Forum Member

So just to be clear did 'staff running the store' really mean a handful of pre selected staff (one with the obligatory sad backstory) engage in some channel 4 funded marketing spend.

What a load of old guff.

Plus the increase in turnover was probably much more to do with the clearly good weather when filming took place
kegsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:32
Hershey2
Forum Member

What let it down for me was the time span, 3 weeks is no time to implement changes imo.

Cringed at the 3 women involved in the show home task when they went for the initial interview with the woman who made the decisions, none of them had made any effort to come across as professional, they all looked like they were going to Asda to do a shop, one was wearing jeans!
Hershey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15
myss
Forum Member

What let it down for me was the time span, 3 weeks is no time to implement changes imo.

Cringed at the 3 women involved in the show home task when they went for the initial interview with the woman who made the decisions, none of them had made any effort to come across as professional, they all looked like they were going to Asda to do a shop, one was wearing jeans!
Agree with you both, I watched about three quarters of it and, having been interrupted, had the intention to see the rest of it on +1 or iPlayer, but couldn't help disbelieving the progress of the concept. I thought the programme was about the staff taking on the task entirely with existing knowledge and initiative but they must have had help, training and contacts provided.

I did like the 500 living room idea although thought for a whole room that's a bit too cheap, perhaps sofa, armchair, dinning table and a couple chairs. The showroom wasn't to my taste though, it looked a bit dark and gloomy, and it seemed as though the housing woman was deliberately being blunt, perhaps for the cameras. Unfortunately the programme on a whole was a bit of a bore and a little predictable. I'm guessing a profit was made somehow (no way would the debut episode end in a loss) but who's to know whether having the cameras in the shop and the likely publicity of it was one of the reasons why there were more sales in that period.

ETA: If the profits have dropped since 2006, I wonder why the MD hasn't got to the bottom as to why!
myss is offline   Reply With Quote