Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Most haunting film you have ever seen

Old 06-01-2013, 14:29
courtney_synn
Forum Member

Which film has stuck with you the most - not necessarily violent/intentionally disturbing just one that has stayed with you for a long time.

I ask because a friend of mine asked me a few days ago if I could remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' at school. I couldn't and looked it up on Youtube this morning. I feel awful now

Just curious and nosey really
courtney_synn is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-01-2013, 14:32
Fowl Fax
Forum Member

Grave of the Fireflies is pretty emotional.
Fowl Fax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:36
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

One that springs to mind is Peter Weir's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', although I admit it lost something when the myth about the book it was based on being non-fiction was thoroughly debunked.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:39
Radiance26
Forum Member

Which film has stuck with you the most - not necessarily violent/intentionally disturbing just one that has stayed with you for a long time.

I ask because a friend of mine asked me a few days ago if I could remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' at school. I couldn't and looked it up on Youtube this morning. I feel awful now

Just curious and nosey really

The whole film is on youtube lol I've not heard of that one but there is a similar type film I remember seeing, I think it was based in Sheffield or up North somewhere, it starts with a mushroom cloud and a woman wets herself, that film has stuck with me for a while, I tend to love weird mad films so there are so many Ive watched and regretted after because they play on my mind but two I do remember are cannibal holocaust and man behind the sun, both freaked me out quite a bit!
Radiance26 is offline   Reply With Quote
annette kurten
Forum Member

i think it was called "the burning bed" or something similar, it was about a battered wife, i was one at the time. unbelievably i watched it with my batterer who didn`t bat an eyelid.

i sobbed all the way through and i rarely cry.

edit: and it was a true story.

it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Bed
annette kurten is offline   Reply With Quote
blueblade
Forum Member

"Dead of Night" ~ a black and white paranormal type film from 1945.

Slightly understated and very unnerving.
blueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:41
irishguy
Forum Member

The whole film is on youtube lol I've not heard of that one but there is a similar type film I remember seeing, I think it was based in Sheffield or up North somewhere, it starts with a mushroom cloud and a woman wets herself, that film has stuck with me for a while, I tend to love weird mad films so there are so many Ive watched and regretted after because they play on my mind but two I do remember are cannibal holocaust and man behind the sun, both freaked me out quite a bit!
Threads - the infamous third world war TV film. Scared the crap out of me at the time!
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:42
Pepperoni Man
Forum Member

Threads - the infamous third world war TV film. Scared the crap out of me at the time!
Me too!!
Pepperoni Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:43
Radiance26
Forum Member

Yes! Thats the one, I still cant bring myself to watch it again!
Old 06-01-2013, 14:43
courtney_synn
Forum Member

i think it was called "the burning bed" or something similar, it was about a battered wife, i was one at the time. unbelievably i watched it with my batterer who didn`t bat an eyelid.

i sobbed all the way through and i rarely cry.

edit: and it was a true story.
Yes I have seen that, I didnt realise it was a true story though. Thats dreadful.

I'm so pleased you are no longer in that situation.
Old 06-01-2013, 14:44
Calien01
Forum Member

An American Crime, it's based on what happened to Sylvia Likens, a 16 year old girl who was tortured to death by the woman she was boarding with, the woman's kids and some neighborhood children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Crime
Calien01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:44
irishguy
Forum Member

I jumped every time I heard a plane fly by for weeks after it.

Warning - its not for the faint hearted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:45
courtney_synn
Forum Member

I haven't heard of that before, dont think I will be looking for it. Im still reeling from what I watched earlier - talk about cartoons lulling you into a false sense of security!
Old 06-01-2013, 14:46
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

This doesn't count as a film, but one horrifically haunting piece of television is the old Tales of the Unexpected episode, 'The Flypaper'. I understand they don't even show this one in reruns, as it deals with a horrible theme. It's on youtube, though, for those who are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V40FT_NWCw
Old 06-01-2013, 14:46
Radiance26
Forum Member

An American Crime, it's based on what happened to Sylvia Likens, a 16 year old girl who was tortured to death by the woman she was boarding with, the woman's kids and some neighborhood children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Crime

Ive seen another version of this story, totally horrific
Old 06-01-2013, 14:52
RiverChelt
Forum Member

Theres is a movie, it felt like one of those made-for-TV jobbies, that had an unhinged mother kill her two young children and I think herself, in her car from carbon monoxide poisoning. "Hungry Like The Wolf" was playing on the car stereo whilst it happened. That;s always stuck with me, and it makes me really upset whenever I hear that song!

Other than that, the scars of Watership Down are still with me. I noticed it was on one of the ITV channels today, I will be staying well clear of that.
RiverChelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:54
SJ_Mental
Forum Member

Demons II, We used to watch all the 18 rated films my parents rented at the time, I was about 10 and this one was a bit to my mind then.
SJ_Mental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:54
Sophie ~Oohie~
Forum Member

I haven't heard of that before, dont think I will be looking for it. Im still reeling from what I watched earlier - talk about cartoons lulling you into a false sense of security!
I wouldn't recommend it either, it's extremely scary and might change your political views.
Sophie ~Oohie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:55
Radiance26
Forum Member

I got the cartoon playing now lol Seems like quite a sweet cartoon aswell!
Old 06-01-2013, 14:56
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

Theres is a movie, it felt like one of those made-for-TV jobbies, that had an unhinged mother kill her two young children and I think herself, in her car from carbon monoxide poisoning. "Hungry Like The Wolf" was playing on the car stereo whilst it happened. That;s always stuck with me, and it makes me really upset whenever I hear that song!

Other than that, the scars of Watership Down are still with me. I noticed it was on one of the ITV channels today, I will be staying well clear of that.
That would be Small Sacrifices, based on the real life murders committed by Diane Downs - although she did not kill herself.
Old 06-01-2013, 14:57
Aesa
Forum Member

Grave of the Fireflies is pretty emotional.
Thiiiiiiss. Heard it described as 'the best film you'll never want to see again', sums it up!
Aesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:59
Mr Cynic
Inactive Member

One that springs to mind is Peter Weir's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', although I admit it lost something when the myth about the book it was based on being non-fiction was thoroughly debunked.
I remember that, yes, I was haunted by it for quite a while after I saw it and then bought the book. I so wanted the girls and their teacher to be found.
Mr Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 15:02
Oldnjaded
Forum Member

'Don't look now' has haunted me since it first came out in 1973.

Amazing film in many different ways.
Oldnjaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 15:02
Steve35
Inactive Member

I jumped every time I heard a plane fly by for weeks after it.

Warning - its not for the faint hearted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg
Haha, it's not that bad!
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 15:03
bugloss
Forum Member

the beautiful (and short) Russian animation
The Hedgehog In The Fog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsXU4Q6a0Q

The Bear Cub talked and talked, and the Hedgehog thought, "Isn't it good that we're together again?" And also he thought about the Horse: how was she doing there, in the fog?
bugloss is offline   Reply With Quote