Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Your most overrated film of 2012

Old 06-01-2013, 14:40
Wulfster
Forum Member

I know people are going to be annoyed that I've used the "o" word, and have started another thread on a familiar subject..
However, I have my reasons ...

The Los Angeles Times very recently voted "The Avengers" the most overrated film of 2012;
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7295260.story

IMHO this is nonsense (although I am aware that a sizeable of people may agree with the results), and I would point out that in the survey, an obscure movie called "Bernie" won the most underrated movie award... (No. Me neither.)
*cough*FilmSnobs*cough*

It did make me think that there are some other more worthy winners though...

For me, easily the most overrated movie was "Berberian Sound Studio".
IMHO this was a jaw-dropping piece of pretentious nonsense, with no real plot and no ending! The film even consists of a fake nature documentary which is inserted into the film for about 4 minutes! Absolute rubbish.
And yet nearly every review has been positive! From The Telegraph and Total Film, to Alex Zane and Mark Kermode, they've all raved about it.
Never in my life have I been more confounded by the positivity around a film!
I know it has supporters (everybody apart from me I guess), but my God, I hate it!

I could rant on about "The (Un)Amazing Spider-Man" & and "The (Not)Bourne Legacy", but I won't...

Anybody else got the touch of the "overrates" about any 2012 films?
Wulfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-01-2013, 15:05
bob187
Forum Member

Can't you rename this thread "Popular films that I didn't like" ?
bob187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 15:42
Wulfster
Forum Member

Can't you rename this thread "Popular films that I didn't like" ?
Err ... no. Because it was the LA Times "overrated" survey that made me start the thread.

I see ... I get the picture ... I'll get me coat.
Wulfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 17:59
mintchocchip
Forum Member

I thought Skyfall was totally overrated!
mintchocchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:53
RichmondBlue
Forum Member

I know people are going to be annoyed that I've used the "o" word, and have started another thread on a familiar subject..
However, I have my reasons ...

The Los Angeles Times very recently voted "The Avengers" the most overrated film of 2012;
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7295260.story

IMHO this is nonsense (although I am aware that a sizeable of people may agree with the results), and I would point out that in the survey, an obscure movie called "Bernie" won the most underrated movie award... (No. Me neither.)
*cough*FilmSnobs*cough*

It did make me think that there are some other more worthy winners though...

For me, easily the most overrated movie was "Berberian Sound Studio".
IMHO this was a jaw-dropping piece of pretentious nonsense, with no real plot and no ending! The film even consists of a fake nature documentary which is inserted into the film for about 4 minutes! Absolute rubbish.
And yet nearly every review has been positive! From The Telegraph and Total Film, to Alex Zane and Mark Kermode, they've all raved about it.
Never in my life have I been more confounded by the positivity around a film!
I know it has supporters (everybody apart from me I guess), but my God, I hate it!

I could rant on about "The (Un)Amazing Spider-Man" & and "The (Not)Bourne Legacy", but I won't...

Anybody else got the touch of the "overrates" about any 2012 films?
It depends what you mean, critically acclaimed movies or big and eagerly awaited blockbusters ?
I would agree with the LAT about The Avengers, but I don't think it was quite so bad as Prometheus. I was looking foward to the latter, so the disappointment quota was greater.
That's the thing really, if you're not expecting much, you're not so disappointed and you don't care if it's been over-hyped.
RichmondBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:56
wiseguy100
Forum Member

Deffo Prometheus. It was being hailed as the greatest sci fi film since 2001 pre release. After seeing it I wanted to track down Ridley Scott and slap him silly.
wiseguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:58
sandman112
Forum Member

I thought Skyfall was totally overrated!
me too, couldn't keep my eyes open
sandman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:14
sinbad8982
Forum Member

Yep Avengers gets my vote too. totally generic superheo movie apart from a couple of good scenes involving Hulk
sinbad8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:23
RichmondBlue
Forum Member

Deffo Prometheus. It was being hailed as the greatest sci fi film since 2001 pre release. After seeing it I wanted to track down Ridley Scott and slap him silly.
Yes, I still think it's a good movie, but I was expecting so much more. There were a few superb scenes that almost lived up to the hype, but much of it was very ordinary Sci Fi stuff and not the work of a master.
Watched Blade Runner again the other night, then the documentary afterwards..magnificent movie.
RichmondBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:23
The Terminator
Inactive Member

Avengers would definitely be my pick also.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:33
Takae
Forum Member

The Cabin in the Woods was the most disappointing for me.

Prometheus and Hunger Games as well. I would list The Dark Knight Rises, but I was already biased against the Batman films so it can't be counted.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 20:08
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Avengers is overrated, all the characters were annoying (with the exception of the Hulk), and every third line was a zinger, which became very grating after a while. (And that flying birds from another dimension thing, where did that come from?)

Does anyone know what "Bernie" is about?
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 20:42
Vol
Forum Member

Generic answer but Avengers for me too. I saw it for the first time at Christmas and had heard great things about it - I'd give it a 4/10 at best... no idea why everyone raved about it when it was in theatres.
Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 20:51
bob187
Forum Member

I rest my case!
bob187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 22:33
The Terminator
Inactive Member

I rest my case!
Your case is mistaken. Saying "I think (X) was overrated" is not necessarily the same as saying "I disliked (X)". I for one liked Avengers, it was good. Just not quite deserving of the high level of praise it got.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 22:51
Gawge
Forum Member

Avengers - it was a decent, enjoyable flick, but nothing close to one of the best films of the year.
Gawge is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12
man in the park
Forum Member

Skyfall has to be up there. Way overrated
man in the park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15
treme
Inactive Member

The Los Angeles Times very recently voted "The Avengers" the most overrated film of 2012
I'd agree with that, I thought it was shite.
treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31
Pinkpaper
Forum Member

The Dark Knight Rises - don't get me wrong I thought as films go it was worth the cinema ticket price but I cannot see why it got so many top ratings from critics. It contained the same kind of flimsy plot holes that alot of other big hero type films have and was not that special IMO
Pinkpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50
jafsie
Forum Member

Like all James Bond films Skyfall is the usual juvenile nonsense.
jafsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:12
CAMERA OBSCURA
Forum Member

Tough call between Avengers or Dark Night Rises.
CAMERA OBSCURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:24
SilverCrown
Forum Member

Skyfall for sure.

Avengers was one of the main highlights in terms of movies of 2012 for me.
SilverCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:47
Soupietwist
Forum Member

Argo or the The Hunger Games for me.

Argo felt like a bad comedy caper from the 80's and The Hunger Games really was just dire.

The Avengers may have it faults but I thought Joss caught the tone of Marvel comics really fan - a fans film really. Skyfall was a solid entry into the Bond Franchise and miles better than QOS.
Soupietwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 14:06
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

I am not one for this Overhype/Overrated stuff. But if I were to pick something it would be Dark Knight Rises. Not due to its build up but because of how many people who said it was Amazing with no ability to give a reason for this opinion.

I personally thought it was an fair film, not spectacular and slightly clichéd with the ending but as a conclusion of a good trilogy it worked. But there seems to be so many people unable to opine for themselves that they catch hold of the popular opinion and thus making that opinion even more popular. I am not saying everyone who says they like it are these people but there does seem to be a fair few out there.
PhoenixRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 14:31
Inkblot
Forum Member

Argo or the The Hunger Games for me.

Argo felt like a bad comedy caper from the 80's and The Hunger Games really was just dire.

The Avengers may have it faults but I thought Joss caught the tone of Marvel comics really fan - a fans film really. Skyfall was a solid entry into the Bond Franchise and miles better than QOS.
Argo? I can relate to that. It was very well made, and a great technical achievement but the manipulation of the facts and the stereotyping of the Iranian people let it down. So yes, it was very highly praised but it wasn't as good as the critics claimed. On the other hand, The Hobbit wasn't all that well-received but it was actually a bigger disappointment than the reviews suggested.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote