Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Worst shampoo for your hair?

Old 09-01-2013, 21:10
Lushness
Forum Member

A hairdresser of mine (and Scottish hairdresser to the stars, I might add ) told me that shampoo is basically all detergent and much less important in the hair care regime than conditioner. After that, I've always made sure my conditioner is good regardless of what shampoo I'm using.

As I am bleach blonde, I find John Frieda Sheer Blonde conditioner to be excellent.
Couldn't agree more. I don't really like shampoo but it is necessary for me to keep my scalp clean and remove build up. You can use alternatives but I find shampoo easier even if they are evil!
Lushness is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04
Smokeychan1
Forum Member

Now you two

You sound like my Dad years ago: "You spent how much?!! Washing up liquid will do the job just as well".
Smokeychan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:17
sarahj1986
Forum Member

worst - Paul Mitchell. Brought it in a salon once afew years ago and it left my hair really greasy and dull. Pantenne leaves it greasy aswell.

Best - Aussie. Love it and works well with my hair. Avon products are good aswell. Herbal ecessances was also good last time I used it.

Also - used to LOVE Dream hair by Charles Worthington and they stopped doing it??!!
sarahj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 15:07
Ella Nut
Forum Member

Fructus is quite good on my hair but I can only use it 4 or 5 times before it irritates my scalp and I have to switch.
The Aussie stuff, Pantene, Elvive and Treseme make my hair feel like straw every wash.
Head and Shoulders with their conditioner was brilliant but again for only 4 or 5 washes then I would have to switch to something else.
Suave Keratin is the best I've used, doesn't irritate my scalp and I can go about 10 washes before it makes my hair like straw.
I have very thick curly hair. It used to be down to my bum but I got my husband to cut it off to my shoulders. Tied it in a ponytail and told him to cut that off. Didn't do a bad job tbh.
Agree. This stuff is vastly over-rated. Smells nice, that's all.
Ella Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:17
NewExample
Inactive Member

Anyone tried the Tresemme Keratin Smooth range?
NewExample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:23
kxk
Forum Member

What is the Aussie shampoo you speak of please?

I find American shampoos/conditioners the best. ABBA is awesome, makes straight hair sleek and shiny without being greasy.
if you hair needs help/pick me up get ABBA. I use it once a month otherwise too expensive.
Redkin is good.
Revlon makes great cheap shampoos.
Pantene coats your hair - if your colouring, my hairdresser won't do my hair if I use pantene

I actually want to know the crappiest shampoo, that acts like stripper. There used to be a cheapo called clinique, blue and awful for your hair - but great if you made colour mistakes, got rid of most rinses.
kxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53
Studmuffin
Forum Member

Anyone tried the Tresemme Keratin Smooth range?
Not yet. I had a look for it today but couldn't see any in the supermarket.
The problem I have with Treseme (and Pantene) is which do I use? I have dry, coloured, curly hair. Do I use the dry hair, curly hair or dyed hair shampoos/conditioners?

I find American shampoos/conditioners the best. ABBA is awesome, makes straight hair sleek and shiny without being greasy.
if you hair needs help/pick me up get ABBA. I use it once a month otherwise too expensive.
Redkin is good.
Pantene coats your hair - if your colouring, my hairdresser won't do my hair if I use pantene

I actually want to know the crappiest shampoo, that acts like stripper. There used to be a cheapo called clinique, blue and awful for your hair - but great if you made colour mistakes, got rid of most rinses.
This is the Aussie stuff. I haven't tried any of the US ones you mentioned, I'm loathe to pay for expensive hair stuff just to find it does nothing for my hair and/or scalp.
Head and Shoulders ordinary shampoo is another good dye stripper.
Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20
SecretLifeoBees
Forum Member

Tresemme is the worst for me, made my head itch like crazy. I love Herbal Essence and good old Timotei though
SecretLifeoBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44
statenisland
Inactive Member

Redkin is good.

ABBA is rubbish on my hair and i don't like revlon either, depends on the hair rather than the make with those i think
statenisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 16:01
Tt88
Forum Member

Treseme. My hair always felt greasy straight away.
Tt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:16
louise1966
Forum Member

Hair products are something I refuse to scrimp on. I like to alternate between ranges, but only use either organic or natural ones. Once a week I use a detoxifier shampoo, by Ojon. I use the Percy and Reed range. At the cheaper end of the scale, but the result is so effective, I use Dr Organics Argan Oil and Manuka Honey shampoo/conditioner. I also use Ojon restructuring mask and heat protection spray and hair oil. So I've never had a bad experience with any routine.
louise1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 23:01
cazzbar
Forum Member

My hair used to be so dry it made my scalp itch. I've used everything over the years - the worst was Tresemme (my hair looked like a brillo pad). The best is Dove - it is the only product I use on my hair now and use Dove for all my bath/shower washes too. When it's towel dry I spray on Macadamia Natural Healing Oil Spray, this smells lovely and leaves a nice sheen on my hair.

My husband also has very dry hair/scalp and can only use Aveda Shampure.
cazzbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 00:52
kolakoala
Forum Member

The Alberto Balsam blueberry shampoo and conditioner is absolute gorgeous. I used their products some years ago and it was totally crap. Used these last year and they are fab
kolakoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 01:49
Studmuffin
Forum Member

The Alberto Balsam blueberry shampoo and conditioner is absolute gorgeous. I used their products some years ago and it was totally crap. Used these last year and they are fab
Oooh good to know! They were rubbish for me years ago so I stopped using them, will see if I can pick some up.

Still can't find any of the new Vidal Sassoon range >.<
Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:09
NirvanaGirl
Forum Member

I'm currently using the John Frieda Full Repair shampoo & conditioner for over styled hair & so far it's great.

The standard Tresemme is good too, just not all the other types of shampoos they've brought out, they wreck my hair.

My hairdresser told me that Pantene still use silicon in their products which gives the hair shine as it coats each strand with silicon...not good at all.

For the person who was looking for the most colour stripping shampoo, use the regular Head & Shoulders. The reason it clears dandruff etc is that it literally takes the top layer of skin off your scalp apparently & it will strip artificial colour out of your hair if you use it enough. I was told to do the first wash with that then shampoo again with a kinder brand and a really good conditioner when I had colour build up on my hair from regular dying.
NirvanaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:11
NirvanaGirl
Forum Member

Still can't find any of the new Vidal Sassoon range >.<
Vidal Sassoon have a new range out? I used to swear by that stuff, always smelt deliciously of marzipan.
NirvanaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:22
JumpTheShark
Forum Member

I can never find something that works long term. I'll switch and find something that keeps my hair balanced and lovely for three or four days on end, but after a few months it'll start getting greasy sooner and sooner. I have to switch my shampoos when the bottle runs out rather than re-buying a certain one.

Now that I'm working in the city nothing works like it used to and I'm having to wash my hair every couple of days. That's probably normal for most people but I only wash my hair when it needs it, and I feel like it was in much better condition when I was doing it twice a week.
JumpTheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:41
Lushness
Forum Member

I can never find something that works long term. I'll switch and find something that keeps my hair balanced and lovely for three or four days on end, but after a few months it'll start getting greasy sooner and sooner. I have to switch my shampoos when the bottle runs out rather than re-buying a certain one.

Now that I'm working in the city nothing works like it used to and I'm having to wash my hair every couple of days. That's probably normal for most people but I only wash my hair when it needs it, and I feel like it was in much better condition when I was doing it twice a week.
I hear a lot of people say this. To be honest I don't think the shampoo is getting ineffective or your hair is getting "used to the shampoo." Hair is dead so it's unlikely that the hair will get used to anything. I would say it is because your hair needs clarifying shampoo. Particularly important if you use products with silicone in them (a lot of shampoos contain it!). Silicone builds up on the hair and you will need a stronger shampoo to remove it if there is a lot of product in your hair. I would use a clarifying shampoo every two to three weeks, you should see a difference then you won't need to keep switching shampoos. The most you will need is two shampoos, your regular one and a clarifier. Clarifying shampoos are strong though, so don't use them too often.
Lushness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 22:30
WelshHoll
Forum Member

Worst ever for me was Head and Shoulders Menthol - it actually made my hair come out in clumps. Never happened before or since. Stopped straight away when I stopped using it.

I currently use Tresemme. I like the smell because it's not too strong and it leaves my hair nice and bouncy (it's curly!).
WelshHoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 14:03
spanglerokapi
Forum Member

Turtle Wax!

As a child I was encouraged to use washing up liquid, and was told once that Comfort could be used as a conditioner.
spanglerokapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 22:05
MayfairBlue
Inactive Member

Never got on with fructis and agree that it can make the hair appear dull and feel brittle.

One of the one's I'd recommend is by Umberto Giannini - the yellow dazzling shine range - smells beautiful - shampoo lathers up easily and and conditioner detangles effortlessly.

I miss Nicky Clarke's hairaeromatherapy range (silver bottle and blue) - loved the smell and had some powerful ingredients in there.
MayfairBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:00
princesarock12
Forum Member

So surprised about the Elvive comments! I really like Elvive Crystal I use Aussie Miracle Moist most though, love the smell, colour and shine

Don't rate Herbal Essences (doesn't really do anything) but TRESemme is the worst; after I got over the initial dullness, my hair looked in desperate need of a wash immediately after it'd dried.

My ultimate fave are the LUSH shampoos, they are amazing but so very expensive.
princesarock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:07
Snikpoh
Forum Member

Worst - Fructis.
Best - Lavera - leaves my hair so smooth and shiny I don't need conditioner.
Snikpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:08
Roxocube
Forum Member

I couldn't get away with that range, gave me a very itchy scalp
Roxocube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:12
hannahjay
Forum Member

My hair gets greasy very quickly and can be quite flat.. Pantene Clarifying Shampoo is amazing for hair like mine, but you can't use it all the time as it strips off build-up (not great for dyed hair!)

Is it just me or is it quite hard to find a decent shampoo for greasy hair (ie. you don't have to wash it everyday as a result)? At the moment I'm trying out the Aussie volume stuff. It's an improvement but nowhere near as good as the clarifying shampoo!
hannahjay is offline   Reply With Quote