Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Worst shampoo for your hair?

Old 19-01-2013, 22:24
SupernovaNebula
Forum Member

If I use Herbal Essences, my hair's dripping with grease after half a day. If I use Aussie, my hair turns to straw after a few days. Fructis makes my hair dull and limp.

However, Elvive is really good for my hair, so I use it as often as I can now.

What shampoos/conditioners are hell on your hair? Brands work differently for different hair, so I'm intrigued.
I like Aveda dry and damage remedy range. They're really great at leaving the hair really soft and your scalp felling nice.
SupernovaNebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-01-2013, 22:52
labelsandlove
Forum Member

I used to like Pantene products but they don't work on my hair now. I like Herbal Essences, but the Hello Hydration range is a bit too much for my hair.

I am coming to the end of using the L'Oreal Mythic Oil...I really hate the smell but I have finished it up because of the price! It was ok, it does give a nice shine but thats about it. I will be using the Redken All Soft range next but I have seen mixed reviews!

I change my shampoos all the time, will probably try Ojon next, although the price is putting me off
labelsandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 00:29
MayfairBlue
Inactive Member

Definitely agree with the Aveda - completely forgot about them!

Expensive too!
MayfairBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 12:35
bellatella
Forum Member

head and shoulders
it's very agressive
bellatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 13:40
jarryhack
Forum Member

I always used Herbal Essences, but lately my hair has been looking horrible with it, after reading this thread I tried the Aussie range and my hair is a lot better, so thanks!
jarryhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:25
boredof_lurking
Forum Member

Just wanted to say, I love this thread (and the make up one)!
I've discovered clarifying shampoos and Argan oil, tubing mascara.. List is endless !
All of the above (plus more) is now winging its way to my home in the next couple of days, can't beat a bit of tlc enhancement

So thank you from me (and my hair) too
boredof_lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:29
Richard1960
Forum Member

Wash and Go .......................... i used it a few times and my hair went.
Richard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:13
MayfairBlue
Inactive Member

Definitely agree with the Aveda - completely forgot about them!

Expensive too!
Just realized this is actually a pro-comment, not to vote against as t he worst!

As an aside, never got on with any of Trevor Sorbie's products!
MayfairBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:35
Cstar2229
Forum Member

A lot depends on the on hardness of the water

In Scotland I used Herbal Essence and no conditioner

Down south, I have yet to find a shampoo that makes my hair shine
Cstar2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:41
Lushness
Forum Member

A lot depends on the on hardness of the water

In Scotland I used Herbal Essence and no conditioner

Down south, I have yet to find a shampoo that makes my hair shine
Such a great point. Whenever I stay up North (just went a couple of weeks ago) I will always wash my hair whether it needs it not. I'm like one of those shampoo commercials under that soft beautiful water - it's wonderful! You wouldn't need to use so much shampoo either because a small amount would lather up so easily.

If I lived in a soft water area my hair would be much longer and would just look much better. As it is I have to put up with the horrible water in London I have a shower filter, but it's not good enough really. Ah well!
Lushness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 21:28
Fieldfare
Forum Member

Vosene! Aargh! Is that still around? It was my mum's one-shampoo-does-all-the-family rule, pretty sure it disinfected the plug hole too.

I've using the Tresemme Keratin Smooth recently, quite nice, does the job, will go back to Aussie when it's finished though. I have very thick wavy hair, needs big conditioner action.
Fieldfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 21:34
Fieldfare
Forum Member

Just wanted to say, I love this thread (and the make up one)!
I've discovered clarifying shampoos and Argan oil, tubing mascara.. List is endless !
All of the above (plus more) is now winging its way to my home in the next couple of days, can't beat a bit of tlc enhancement

So thank you from me (and my hair) too
Check out Sali Hughes columns, I looooooove her. Every bit of advice/recommendation I've tried of hers has been bob on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/se...-hughes-beauty
Fieldfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 21:41
boredof_lurking
Forum Member

Check out Sali Hughes columns, I looooooove her. Every bit of advice/recommendation I've tried of hers has been bob on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/se...-hughes-beauty
Thank you have bookmarked the link and shall have a flick through tomorrow
boredof_lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:36
beaglemum
Forum Member

Worst- Fructis, made my hair feel like it was more filthy than before i washed it
Best - Redken All soft, my hair is lovely & shiny & soft, only downside is I cant afford it at the moment so Im using Morrisons own brand and it does the job.
beaglemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:36
kookiethekat
Forum Member

Worst - another vote for fructis. I have naturally curloy hair which I straighten, when I leave my hair natural, fructis is fab, when I straighten it, it's awful.

Besy - Elvive full restore 5 and dry/damaged before that

Does anyone have any recommendations for fine, lank greasy hair? I'm so sick of washing it every day
kookiethekat is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:31
boobyloo
Forum Member

Worst Shampoo is Fructis... My hair felt cleaner before I washed it!!!

I really like Pantene Colour range and Dove have a new one which I used this morning which is nice for a change... not has heavy as the last Dove one I tried. I used to love the old Toni and Guy range for sleek straight hair... my hair felt like silk with it but I really dont like the new stuff at all.
boobyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:35
morecowbell
Forum Member

L'oreal Elvive anti dandruff shampoo with selenium (the blue and orange bottle)

It works, but at what cost to your hair! I used to use it every second wash and my hair was beyond wrecked. To the point where I had to drastically cut it. I changed to a gentle kids shampoo and my hair has recovered. Used the L'oreal again a few days ago and my hair went like chemical straw. It actually had a smell on it like the old chemical perm whiff.

Avoid avoid avoid. Or use once every 2 months!
morecowbell is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:08
funlovingirl
Forum Member

Vosene! Aargh! Is that still around? It was my mum's one-shampoo-does-all-the-family rule, pretty sure it disinfected the plug hole too.
Haha I hate the smell of the stuff too but I had to buy a bottle of it yesterday as I have recently been using Schwarzkopf Supersoft which has irritated my sensitive scalp and made my hair lank. I was advised to use Vosene as it is medicated amd gentle.

I normally use Phyto, Kerastase, or L'Anza products but as I am not working at the moment I cannot afford them. However in all the time I used any of those products, they never irritated my scalp the way Schwarzkopf products have.
funlovingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:46
Lushness
Forum Member

I know this is a "worst" shampoo thread but I've got to rave about Ojon's Detox shampoo. As labelled it is a detox/clarifying shampoo and I was expecting to have to do a full scale overnight conditioning job - but no. Once I rinsed out the shampoo the hair was squeaky clean but without the horrible straw like feeling, to point that I felt like I was rinsing out conditioner. Hair was so detangled and soft and I can feel that my hair will get a true benefit now from the conditioner that I apply. I wish I could use every week, but cannot sadly. True HG product!
Lushness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:39
morecowbell
Forum Member

I know this is a "worst" shampoo thread but I've got to rave about Ojon's Detox shampoo. As labelled it is a detox/clarifying shampoo and I was expecting to have to do a full scale overnight conditioning job - but no. Once I rinsed out the shampoo the hair was squeaky clean but without the horrible straw like feeling, to point that I felt like I was rinsing out conditioner. Hair was so detangled and soft and I can feel that my hair will get a true benefit now from the conditioner that I apply. I wish I could use every week, but cannot sadly. True HG product!
Oooooo. Now this is exactly what I want to hear! It sounds like what I need. Off for a google! Thanks Lushness
morecowbell is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49
LnMidna
Forum Member

Pantene and Redken both dry my hair out and tangle it.
LnMidna is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote