Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Co-insurance!...and other questions.

Old 08-01-2013, 23:14
Garlic
Forum Member

Hi all, I have had my pooch insured throuh Protect Your Bubble for the last 2 years. I recieved my renewal today and they have decided to increase my premium (I have not made a claim in the 2 years since I took out the policy) and as well as having an excess, they have added 'co-insurance' which means that in the event of a claim I pay the excess plus 15% of the remaining balance.

I have never heard of this before and needless to say I will not be renewing! Be sure to check your renewal reminders!

So now I'm looking at other quotes and I'm a little confused at the difference between maximum benefit and life cover.

I am also confused at the policies that claim to be life cover but say they pay out a maximum of 2k per year.

Any ideas on how to choose a decent policy please?
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-01-2013, 00:00
Muze
Forum Member

Personally I'd always go for lifetime cover.... if your pet needs ongoing treatment for a specific condition, you can claim throughout its lifetime.

2k a year is not much, at least 5k or 7k is better IMO.
This mean that if you make a claim in one policy year, they will only pay out 2k towards it, that may not even cover one serious accident!

If you're a dog owner, you really need to think out Third Party Liability too, should you get sued if your dog hurts someone.
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 22:02
Garlic
Forum Member

Thanks Muze, i now have my pooch insured with John Lewis.

25 per month for lifetime cover (max. 12,000 per year) with a 60 excess.

It also includes 3rd party liability cover.
Old 31-01-2013, 22:11
StressMonkey
Forum Member

John Lewis sounds Good! Will look at them when I renew

But with my last insurer (Pet Plan IIRC) They ended up wanting me to pay the first 20% plus an excess of 100 for a premium of 36 a month I'd need a bill of 600 to make it worth while.

That was just for one dog!

Got two of the dogs and the cat insured for about 10 more than PP wanted for one for comparable cover (lifetime illness & accident, public liability, death & loss). No one will insure Murphy - he's 15 and has Cushings. But I have been saving money for him since he was a puppy, and my departed cats were kittens. So far I still have money in that account!!
StressMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 22:47
Garlic
Forum Member

Crikey that is a bit steep! I spent ages searching various insurers but John lewis was by far the best value for a German Shepherd.

It worked out about 5 a month cheapest going through gocompare than directly through John Lewis.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54
Pixie Queen
Forum Member

I had a hissy fit with pet insurance after I was told NO from Buddies AGAIN .

I have two dogs and I have insured them with Buddies for the last 8 years. Every time I tried to make a claim they ****ed me. My dog gets ill - they get treated - I pay- I claim. Buddies pay out shyte. I don't see the point now.

The premium went up to almost 80 pounds a month for the two of them. I was told that more % excess cos they were over a certain age.... . I now have a little account at the post office just for pets. I put 50 quid in a month as I think that is a reasonable amount over a year for the pair of them if we have any mega vet bills.

I tried to claim 3 times over the years and each time Buddies insurance told me NO.

I went with Buddies as at the time their sales made me think that I would be helping animal charities and helping people who were skint to get their pets treatment via PDSA. I don't believe this sales shyte now
Pixie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08
dollymarie
Forum Member

I pay 12.50 a month to direct line for my two kittens. The excess is 70.

Am very glad I have insurance because one of them got sick recently, and the bill came to just short of 600! Considering i've only been paying for 6 months now it's been worth every penny.
dollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote