Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Kindle as present - is it possible to preload with books?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:04
milmol
Forum Member

I have bought this as a gift and registered to my amazon account. Am I right in thinking when he opens it and activates it he will be able to download the books in that account onto his kindle. Then when he deregisters from my account the books will still be on his device?

I think I understand that once deregistered he would not be able to re-download or access them, but they would remain on his device.

I just think it would be nice to be able to put a couple of his favourite books straight onto it rather than just give a voucher.

Thanks if anyone can help.
milmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01
c4rv
Forum Member

Books are tied into the account, if you switch accounts you will lose access to the books.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:02
IvanIV
Forum Member

Those books will be wiped from the Kindle. You are better off with a gift certificate. In US you can buy a Kindle book for somebody else, but I don't think that's possible in UK yet.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43
milmol
Forum Member

oh pity. thanks for replying guys.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:29
poppycat
Forum Member

Also, if the Kindle is registered to you, any books he buys will be paid for by you!

It depends how much you trust the person I guess. I have a relative who has a Kindle on her own Amazon account but she also has a tablet with the Kindle app on it and that is signed in to my account, so she can read my books. But I know she wouldn't go on a spending spree on my account!

I'd definitely de-register the Kindle and get him a gift certificate so he can set it up with his own Amazon account and choose what books he wants.
poppycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:01
milmol
Forum Member

Also, if the Kindle is registered to you, any books he buys will be paid for by you!

It depends how much you trust the person I guess. I have a relative who has a Kindle on her own Amazon account but she also has a tablet with the Kindle app on it and that is signed in to my account, so she can read my books. But I know she wouldn't go on a spending spree on my account!

I'd definitely de-register the Kindle and get him a gift certificate so he can set it up with his own Amazon account and choose what books he wants.
Thanks Poppycat. Yes the plan was to deregister it & register to him as soon as poss, just wondered if i could give it with books on it. Gift certificate is obviously the only way!
Old 09-01-2013, 17:09
dosanjh1
Forum Member

I bought the basic kindle and downloaded books from my account. I then deactivated my account from the device and gave it to my sister who put her own account on to it. My books where still there.
dosanjh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:38
milmol
Forum Member

I bought the basic kindle and downloaded books from my account. I then deactivated my account from the device and gave it to my sister who put her own account on to it. My books where still there.
Ooh thanks for that - the plot thickens!
Old 09-01-2013, 17:52
1saintly
Forum Member

This may be helpful

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-someone-else/
1saintly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:36
milmol
Forum Member

Old 09-01-2013, 19:17