Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Old 14-03-2013, 22:07
jenzie
Forum Member

or maybe not
jenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-03-2013, 22:10
jenzie
Forum Member

Chorletoooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!
jenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 22:19
far2cool
Forum Member

This a great episode of 'How TV Ruined Your Life' on BBC2 now...
far2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 22:24
Lyricalis
Forum Member

The TV call in show for murderers is genius .
Lyricalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 22:27
far2cool
Forum Member

When pens get hot
far2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 23:22
DVDfever
Forum Member

The repeat of the wonderful "How TV Ruined Your Life" shows just how lacking Weekly Wipe was.
DVDfever is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 14:51
brangdon
Forum Member

Really? One was the host of a panel show. The other is the host of a panel show.
Carr makes a lot of self-mocking jokes about rape and paedophilia. His role as host has not relied on him having the moral high ground. Where-as HIGNFY does rely on that. What made Deaton's position untenable was Christine Hamilton saying, "If my husband is disgraced, what are you?"
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 18:22
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I kind of agree but I also think it helps that it's on C4 and his bosses stuck by them.

Carr knew he was going to get a hammering. He tweeted about it before the show was recorded.
And he did but rode it out. Even through the rest of the series and the next series there were one or two jokes pointed at Carr and he accepted them.

Who knows what would have happened if the BBC backed Deayton. Then again there were the rumours that Ian and espeically Paul didn't get on with him so for them it was good timing.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 23:42
DVDfever
Forum Member

Carr makes a lot of self-mocking jokes about rape and paedophilia. His role as host has not relied on him having the moral high ground. Where-as HIGNFY does rely on that. What made Deaton's position untenable was Christine Hamilton saying, "If my husband is disgraced, what are you?"
Mountains out of molehills. It would've blown over.

And "Carr makes a lot of self-mocking jokes about rape and paedophilia"? Does that insinuate he's been accused of both of those? I don't think he has.

I kind of agree but I also think it helps that it's on C4 and his bosses stuck by them.

Carr knew he was going to get a hammering. He tweeted about it before the show was recorded.
And he did but rode it out. Even through the rest of the series and the next series there were one or two jokes pointed at Carr and he accepted them.

Who knows what would have happened if the BBC backed Deayton. Then again there were the rumours that Ian and espeically Paul didn't get on with him so for them it was good timing.
I'd rather Ian and Paul had gone if they wanted to fuss about it, but I've said that loads of times before so I won't continue it here.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:27
The Wulfrunian
Forum Member

The repeat of the wonderful "How TV Ruined Your Life" shows just how lacking Weekly Wipe was.
I really think you believe that we should sit down and listen avidly while you deliver the sermons from the mount.

I've seen your website (you self promote it constantly) and this is why any criticism you give to Brooker sticks in the throat somewhat.
The Wulfrunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:19
JeffG1
Forum Member

Did anyone notice that in the trailers for the new Ancient Egypt programme (BBC2 next Friday) that the presenter sounds just like Philomena Cunk?
JeffG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:37
DariaM
Forum Member

Screen Wipes could be good, great or even excellent, if only the Producers had recruited someone basically competent, and not ham such as Charlie Brooker.
DariaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:53
Top Gun 001
Inactive Member

Talk about money for old rope!
Top Gun 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:24
shaggy_x
Forum Member

Did anyone notice that in the trailers for the new Ancient Egypt programme (BBC2 next Friday) that the presenter sounds just like Philomena Cunk?
Lol maybe it is her ?
shaggy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 15:24
DVDfever
Forum Member

I really think you believe that we should sit down and listen avidly while you deliver the sermons from the mount.

I've seen your website (you self promote it constantly) and this is why any criticism you give to Brooker sticks in the throat somewhat.
Pardon me all over the place for having an opinion!
Old 17-03-2013, 16:13
Supratad
Forum Member

It would be awesome if the programme was presented in that style.

"..and then they were all, like, worshipping this god, that was supposed to be the Sun or something, but you could clearly see, it were just a dog, in a funny hat, and they were pulling out the organs of this poor dead blerk, and sticking them in old jars, but the dog would have probably been 'appier just eating them from a bowl or summat. Idiots"
Supratad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:54
willowfan
Forum Member

It would be awesome if the programme was presented in that style.

"..and then they were all, like, worshipping this god, that was supposed to be the Sun or something, but you could clearly see, it were just a dog, in a funny hat, and they were pulling out the organs of this poor dead blerk, and sticking them in old jars, but the dog would have probably been 'appier just eating them from a bowl or summat. Idiots"
Brilliant
willowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:57
blueisthecolour
Forum Member

I heard a bbc radio trailer by someone who sounded just like her as well . . . . .
blueisthecolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 22:39
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I watched HNTLYL last night and at a point he was saying something and it sounded exactly like how Cunk would say it. As he was speaking her voice popped into my head.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/y4csg/?t=11m45s
Old 19-03-2013, 22:48
doom&gloom
Inactive Member

No she doesn't, the actress playing Philomena (Diane Morgan) comes from Bolton (Lancashire) and Dr Joann Clark is from Barnsley (Yorkshire).

Maybe if you're from down south they sound the same.
doom&gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 22:50
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I've always thought there was a similarity in voice between Morgan and Lauren Laverne and they are from opposite sides of the country.